It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:05 pm

33 Amp Models in a Stomp Box. The most in it's class 
Master Contributor
Master Contributor

Post 33 Amp Models in a Stomp Box. The most in it's class
Vox ToneLabST Guitar Amp Modeling Stompbox $199-$275.

http://www.buy.com/prod/vox-valvetronix ... 89749.html

Otherwise I'd have to go with a real Marshall 2210, 1959 SLP, 1987X. or 1959 HW for my lead sound. All in the $2,450 range just for the amp head.

Sun Sep 23, 2012 7:16 pm
Master Contributor
Master Contributor

Post Re: 33 Amp Models in a Stomp Box. The most in it's class
I also noticed that these amp modding things have a line switch that causes the unit to compensate for the fact you're running the gear into a speaker instead of direct into the board. My question is if I'm using a simulation of a marshall amp head is there a speaker cabinet that I can buy for less than $900 that will reliably recreate the unit's cabinet simulation also. For example, would a normal peavey amp be good enough if you ran your unit through the Peavey amps bypass input port? Or is a small to medium PA setup going to be so much better?

Sun Sep 23, 2012 7:37 pm
Master Contributor
Master Contributor

After just reading an article called something like Amp modeling reality check the article said that a keyboard amp is going to be better to more faithfully reproduce the sounds from your amp modeling device without adding noise. Plus you won't need the extra cabinets and cables going to them. Peavey makes a keyboard amp designed to be a personal PA all in one self contained unit. The Peavey 150 Watt KB-5 for $549. The cheapest keyboard amps are also made by Peavey some in the $200 range. the KB2 is 40 watts and the KB4 is 75 watts. Which would you choose and why?

Sun Sep 23, 2012 8:40 pm

Tatsu wrote:
I also noticed that these amp modding things have a line switch that causes the unit to compensate for the fact you're running the gear into a speaker instead of direct into the board. My question is if I'm using a simulation of a marshall amp head is there a speaker cabinet that I can buy for less than $900 that will reliably recreate the unit's cabinet simulation also. For example, would a normal peavey amp be good enough if you ran your unit through the Peavey amps bypass input port? Or is a small to medium PA setup going to be so much better?

I know that Line6 has their DT25 cabinet for $300 that is designed to work with the DT25 head (which is in turn designed to work well with the POD HD system, doing some circuit magic based on the modeled amp being fed in).

Atomic was the first company I know of to make amps and cabs designed specifically for being used with modeling amps - it seems like in the early 00s they had a combo that basically had an opening for the kidney bean PODs and (I guess) did its best to have a clean power amp from that. They now have a power amp, active or passive cab, and a wedge at their website http://www.atomicamps.com/products.htm

That might not answer your question; if you're asking "is there a physical speaker cab that I can flip a dial on to make it sound like one of N different cabinets and only drive it with a modeled head," I can't imagine that there is. Maybe they could build one cab, check its response, and then add a dial of EQ presets to try to make it sound like other cabs?

Sun Sep 23, 2012 9:37 pm

I've never found a cheap modelling system to be able to effectively model a decent analogue/valve rig. That doesn't mean you can't get a sound that you'll love from it, but don't expect it to recreate how a specific amp/cab sounds across all the operating parameters of that amp/cab.

I'm not looking to start an endless discussion about the pros and cons of digital modelling and their ability ( or inability) to mimic something else. I think that's a redundant dialogue. Use the technology to get the sound you like and who cares if it accurately copies something else?

If you A/B compare one with the other, you might hear a difference. But if both are pleasing to the ear?

Cheers, N

Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:28 am

I used to gig with a Line 6 on the floor and an Atomic combo. Sounded good but not very well built. Never stopped working, but the covering on the cab got very beaten up and tatty despite me trying to keep it nice.

Cheers, N

Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:29 am
Master Contributor
Master Contributor

I've got The Line6 PodFarm Studio UX2 and the rigamarole to get on the net, register and download everything into what is initially an empty box with memory capacity was a huge headache. Things were not allocated correctly and I had to go on to their forums and ask people where's the folder for VST instruments and why isn't it where it's supposed to be and is it even there. In the end finally had to physically move it to the correct location so my recording software could know where it was. Not fun to spend a lot of money and can't use something for weeks and keep traveling back and forth to internet cafe's hoping someone might have answered my question today. I friggin HATE Line6 after all that though Edge uses their stuff. It has never cut out on me now that it's working but it's the kind of product you are always scared its the one that's going to drop the ball.

I'm starting to really like that Peavey Keyboard Amp/Personal PA. It's got four channels. I used to drag my peavey bass amp up and down stairs on a dolly and it never quit on me. I trust Peavey.

The other thing I think about with this stuff is what Eno said about keyboard synths. I don't need 1,000 sounds I can't use. I need the three or four things that I use all the time to come with the instrument and not be a separate purchase for some extra CD after you already spend thousands to buy the 1,000 crappy samples.

Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:54 am

My Line 6 experience with cab simulation was as follows...

Line 6 into the desk with cab simulation on gave a useable sound. If the signal was going straight into a recording, it was certainly good enough for decent demos, etc. For live performance, going through the PA, I didn't like it. I wasn't comfy hearing myself through the monitors rather than the backline, and the sound coming through the PA was always a bit sterile. Changing to the Atomic and turning off the cab simulation worked better for me.

Cheers, Norman

Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:59 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Tatsu wrote:
Vox ToneLabST Guitar Amp Modeling Stompbox $199-$275.

http://www.buy.com/prod/vox-valvetronix ... 89749.html

Otherwise I'd have to go with a real Marshall 2210, 1959 SLP, 1987X. or 1959 HW for my lead sound. All in the $2,450 range just for the amp head.
I've played through earlier units in the ToneLab series, thought they sounded great, but the post amp effects always left something lacking so I never got ont.

This might be just the thing, though I'm really enjoying the warmly spreading sound of an actual guitar amp these days. Nothing like it!

Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:29 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Master Contributor
Master Contributor

Post Amp Effects are important. Do you recommend other items? I'd like one with a Marshall Amp model...what the POD Farm UX2 calls a Brit J 800. AND one with a Edge/U2 clean rhythm guitar sound ala "Streets" with dual delays?

Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:43 pm