It is currently Sat May 04, 2024 10:23 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Show us your rig! 

Post Re: Show us your rig!
Unfortunately no stick yet, but I have a good rig:
Maybe not the perfect tone tweaking, but it.ll do fine for a starter...

Thu Jan 02, 2014 5:08 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Contributor
Contributor

Hey Per. The CLR is definitely hifi enough, although I try hard to avoid the full range stick sound with amp sims and filters. It handles the bass like a 12" PA speaker would which is good but not visceral like a ported bass amp would. Defintely adequate for smaller gigs but would need 2 or a sub for loud rock with a drummer. What I like most about it is that is doesn't have a cold/sterile PA sound in that the highs are not ice pick like which I've found some pa speakers to be. Compact and easy to dial in with the axefx.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Fri Jan 03, 2014 5:20 am
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Thanks, good to know your opinion! The light weight of the CLR is quite appealing to me. Below is a picture of the type of PA I'm currently using; two satellites on stands with a 15" sub. Feeding it either through an AxeFxII or laptop with RME box. Great bass and overall sound but rather heavy to schlepp around on a cab gig.

Fractal Audio AxeFx-III, 2 x RCF NX-10 SMA, Apollo Twin USB

http://youtube.com/perboysen

Last edited by Per Boysen on Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:02 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Fri Jan 03, 2014 7:18 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Attachment:
Image 2.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:56 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

Here's my stick rig: Zoom G3 for melody side, Zoom B3 for bass side, TC Helicon Voicelive2 for voice. This all goes into a Rolland BA330 portable PA (battery powered) that also acts as a mixer:

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sun Jan 12, 2014 6:08 pm
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

Marty, I like your rig. I'm thinking of going that route, with the two small multiprocessors, or just one HD500. No $ right now, but plans can be made...

Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:10 pm
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Marty6126 wrote:
TC Helicon Voicelive2 for voice.
That's a great box! I'm awaiting one here, will probably arrive tomorrow. I'll connect it to my Fractal Audio AxeFxII by sending it control audio out the FX Send from both channels/fretboards and then I will collect the VL2's lead+harmony output by the digital SPDIF into the AxeFxII by its FX Receive inputs. No AxeFxII treatments to the VL2 mix, it is just passed through to merge with the two stick side channels into the final stereo mix output that I provide the PA.

Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:34 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

dcben wrote:
Marty, I like your rig. I'm thinking of going that route, with the two small multiprocessors, or just one HD500. No $ right now, but plans can be made...

FWIW, I went this route after seeing Marty's and Oliver's (I believe) setups. For me, I wanted good sounding effects, a relative few. The POD HDs seemed overkill for me.

Having the Zoom B3 for bass side and the G3 (I have the G3X) for guitar seems more than adequate. The B3 is ordered, so haven't any experience yet. But the G3X has some very tasty effects to chose from. Also some I'll probably never use. ;)

Randy

Rosewood Alto #5764

Tue Jan 14, 2014 3:02 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

Per: Yes, the Voicelive2 is a really great piece of gear. It has a small set of high-quality, built-in guitar effects, as well as the voice stuff. If I want to go minimal gear, then I use just the guitar effects of the Voicelive2 and leave the Zoom units at home. I also built a battery unit for the Voice live (using 8 AA cells), so the whole rig is battery powered (the Zoom units can be battery powered; the BA330 too) -- very nice for busking (which I haven't really done yet).

Randy: The B3 is a great unit. It has fewer active effects than the G3, but the B3 has some very rich-sounding bass effects that cannot be simulated on the G3. In particular, the Amp models on the B3 can be used to create really rich bass sound that could only otherwise be obtained with a big cabinet and amp. Since I normally play at fairly moderate volumes, it is very nice to be able to get a really full-range sound through the B3 / BA330. Both of the Zoom units are incredibly low noise, so the sound is very clear and rich.

Generally, I created only a few presets on each unit and once I achieved the sound I liked, I don't really use the foot pedals much. The programmability of the Zoom pedals is quite good and I am generally able to create whatever sound I want. As will most such pedals, the factory presets are all way over the top, but since they are dead-easy to tweek, it is very easy to turn everything down a few notches to achieve a sweet sound.

Marty

Tue Jan 14, 2014 5:52 pm
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Marty6126 wrote:
I also built a battery unit for the Voice live (using 8 AA cells),
Have you been able to estimate how long playing time that allows? I'm asking because this would fit very nicely into my street busking setup; bringing the VL2 into the line Aux stereo input of the Roland Cube Street. THe Cube plays for at least ten hours on fresh batteries (I recharge batteries).

Wed Jan 15, 2014 2:58 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next