It is currently Fri May 31, 2024 10:55 pm

Are Studio Monitors Good For Stick Playing/Practice? 
Contributor
Contributor

Post Are Studio Monitors Good For Stick Playing/Practice?
....and if so, which ones? I was thinking of springing for some mid range monitors like the Yamaha MSP7s or the HS8s in order to have more fun with my audio programs like Ableton and Reason. The only non-virtual thing that I have to deal with is the Stick itself.

I've been running the Stick into an M-Audio FireWire 400 and then using high-end headphones, but I'd like to take a break from wearing hot itchy cans for awhile. :)

Any thoughts? I'm just starting out on my audio adventure, so keeping things modest for now.

10-String Grand Stick #5466

Sun Dec 15, 2013 11:12 am
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post Re: Are Studio Monitors Good For Stick Playing/Practice?
:? Keeping things modest? :evil: ;) Hey, a good friend of mine "G Stone" picked up a couple of Mackies used for a really good price. I was very skeptical, not because it was 'Mackie' but because he got such a good deal :|. Well, I was blown away by how good they sounded...

Here is a link for some discussion: http://www.digitaldjtips.com/2012/07/ov ... pa-system/

Just for practice you can get away with a lot of different setups but if you are using Ableton
you would want something as full range as possible and with a software setup like that
you might find your self playing out sooner than you think as opposed to playing solo Stick;
Ableton, Push, and Stick all synced up would be very cool 8-) or :twisted: ...

Just another idea, I know Bob Culbertson often uses a single powered monitor.
I think he is a good example :shock: . So, if it's budget that is a concern getting one
good monitor and saving up for the next one over time might be a plan...

jRj
:geek:

http://jrjwhatifthepaintingshadsongs.tumblr.com/

Sun Dec 15, 2013 12:35 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

KRK Rokit studio monitors are decent quality and mid priced. For software like Live, etc. you really do benefit from monitors when you mix.

For practicing, keep in mind that studio monitors are near field, meaning, meant to be place directly in front of the listener. If you have an audio interface with 2 ins, you can set up audio channels in Live and play and record directly.

Randy

Rosewood Alto #5764

Sun Dec 15, 2013 12:39 pm
Master Contributor
Master Contributor

My band rehearses in a recording studio that is fairly state of the art, though really it qualifies as a home studio. I think the owner uses makie studio monitors and the whole band goes through them(to save room and not have to carry amps up 2 and 1/2 flights of stairs). Everything sounds nice and clear, but I find I have to turn up my gain quite a bit to give my sound the punch that I get on my own amp. Just going direct or through my effects then direct lacks the umph I am used to . Again the sound is clear enough, but if you are inspired by the dynamics you can get by playing soft and then really hammering on the strings, I don't think the studio monitors are meant to support that kind of sound on their own.

Mike

Sun Dec 15, 2013 4:17 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

i kinda went the Bob Culbertson-backwards-route. started w a powered loudspeaker (JBL EON515XL). now i have 2. really powerful studio/performance setup. and my cds sound great. near-field monitors? yeah, i sit pretty close...

Sun Dec 15, 2013 9:53 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Contributor
Contributor

JRJ wrote:
:? Keeping things modest? Hey, a good friend of mine "G Stone" picked up a couple of Mackies used for a really good price. I was very skeptical, not because it was 'Mackie' but because he got such a good deal :|. Well, I was blown away by how good they sounded...

Thanks for the tip on the Mackies! I had a buddy back in the day who was doing a whole Mike Stern stereo amp thing with Mackies and they sounded really good. I'll have to try them out at local music store.

Regarding the Stick, Ableton and Push....you must have read my mind. I'd like to thrown in Audio Cubes by Percussa, though, in case of close encounters.....

Mon Dec 16, 2013 5:53 am
Contributor
Contributor

mike kemp wrote:
I think the owner uses makie studio monitors and the whole band goes through them(to save room and not have to carry amps up 2 and 1/2 flights of stairs).

Hmmm, Mackie again....yeah, I hear you about avoiding schlepping...

mike kemp wrote:
Again the sound is clear enough, but if you are inspired by the dynamics you can get by playing soft and then really hammering on the strings, I don't think the studio monitors are meant to support that kind of sound on their own.

Excellent point! I hadn't thought of this or experienced this effect yet; this was a very helpful bit of advice. Thanks, Mike!

Mon Dec 16, 2013 5:56 am
Contributor
Contributor

carvingcode wrote:
If you have an audio interface with 2 ins, you can set up audio channels in Live and play and record directly.

Randy

Hey Randy! Damn, I hadn't thought of this either....but now that you mention it. =) Can I just say how awesome all you guys are?!

Ps. And KRK is also on my short list, too...

Mon Dec 16, 2013 5:58 am
Artisan Contributor
Artisan Contributor

I bought a Bose compact l1 just recently an it's fantastic ! It's not just a speaker, it has an amp too and good for gigging and practice (no gigs done with myself though)
It is brutally honest and straight with wht you put in and very all range :-) not a very cheap piece of equipment, but very suited for the stick !

Cheers,
Bas

Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:43 am
Site Donor
Site Donor

Here is my 2-cents...

I think that it depends on how you are running your setup and get your sounds. If you are like me and use an amp/cab simulator like a Line 6 Pod then studio monitors are great as they are designed to reproduce without coloration. If a real amp/cab is part of your sound then plugging direct won't sound that great.

I started with playing through my studio monitors via my Pod X3 as my sound card into my computer and works great but... PITA to load up the DAW every time so I got a small keyboard amp (Roland KC-110) for practice but my studio monitors are way better...
I'm thinking of getting a small mixer which will go between my computer and monitors so I can play through them as well as play through them.

NS/Stick - Prototype #2
Started 11/24/2012

http://www.GreenElephantStudio.com
Now Selling - MOD DUO, Tech21, Ebtech, KMI, Earasers, IsoAcoustics

Subscribe to the NS/Stick YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/NSSTICK

Sat Dec 21, 2013 1:26 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery