It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:49 pm

DIY Stick Preamp Prototype Project - Part 1 
Artisan Contributor
Artisan Contributor

Post Re: DIY Stick Preamp Prototype Project - Part 1
Looks like I'll need to get cracking on my custom pre-amp after all, I've been trying out an Alesis mixer, but it really truncates the high-end of the Stick and makes it sound muddy and dull! Might still use the mixer for effects routing and volume balancing, but I'll plug into the custom pre first, so the impedances are right.

Anyone else been working on theirs since before?

EG

Mon Nov 10, 2008 3:44 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

evilgus wrote:
Looks like I'll need to get cracking on my custom pre-amp after all, I've been trying out an Alesis mixer, but it really truncates the high-end of the Stick and makes it sound muddy and dull! Might still use the mixer for effects routing and volume balancing, but I'll plug into the custom pre first, so the impedances are right.

Anyone else been working on theirs since before?

EG

I use mine with a small Alesis mixer. Going direct into most mixers really sounds bad. They are usually not designed for instruments. However, with the preamp it sounds great. And, I'm finally not the only one to have heard it. I took it to the Midwest Stick seminar and several people tried it with their smaller amps. Those who tried it seemed to really like it and one is already asking me, (with great energy!) to make one for them.

Once my school year started I stopped having any free time to work on this project. I have the parts for the next version and I hope to get it made over my winter break. But, if my new bamboo grand comes before the break then I make no promises!

Again, my goal is to make plans, parts lists, and a detailed tutorial with videos so that people a bit handy with a soldering iron will be able to make this themselves. We're making progress, I'm just too busy to work on it this fall. I'm teaching full time and writing a new course, which is same amount of work as writing a significant book. It's amazing that I have time to play music and sleep, and sometimes I don't.

-Eric

Rosewood SG12 #5966, Mirrored 4ths
Twitter: @ejknapp
http://ericjknapp.com

Tue Nov 11, 2008 6:54 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

What a great thread! :D

Sorry for the threadjack, but how would this preamp work as an input gain stage? I'm looking to add an instrument input stage to a balanced Headphone amp I'm going to build using some unity-gain JISBOS buffers (which are also Class-A). I'm thinking of adapting my design a bit so I can use it as both a Headphone amp/practice amp and as an instrument preamp. Here's my design thread on Head-Fi:

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f6/balanced-mid-fi-developing-jisbos-gain-balanced-preamp-headphone-amplifier-450726/

I'm thinking I'd insert the gain stage before the input select and the input transformers.

http://www.facebook.com/qualitytimejazz

Mon Mar 22, 2010 4:53 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery