It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:14 pm

Newbie question on multi-effects 

Post Newbie question on multi-effects
As I've been eagerly anticipating delivery of my Railboard, I've watched just about every stick video online. I've been inspired and motivated by all of you. Thank you.

One observation is: many of you use multi-effects. Here's my question:
What's a good entry level way to dig into this without spending a fortune?

I'd like to think there's some kind of iPad/software based system that will let me:
- set up my bass/accompaniment side with a smooth, warm and dark tone, then
- set up my melody side with:
-- a classic steel string acoustic guitar tone
-- a smooth jazzy electric guitar tone
-- a heavily processed Edge/Craig Chaquico/Rob Martino electric sound with lots of chorus, reverb and delay (smile)
... and then send both "sides" to my amp or headphones.

I looked at the Griffin Portable Studio Dock, but it looks like it will only accommodate one in-bound channel.

I do plan to focus on my technique and learning the instrument first, but I'd like to also wade into the MFX waters gently and wisely. Any advice?

Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:04 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Re: Newbie question on multi-effects
Check out iRig for iPad application…. floor board, Zoom has units that are cheap and sound great! I use a Line6 PodHD 500x, but it might be a little much to start with.

Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:03 am
Site Donor
Site Donor

Right! After some reading some discussions with Randy, Jeremy C., Vlad and Rob M., I took the plunge on one of the Line 6 units.

Somethings you may or may not know about it....

1. You can run both bass and guitar into the unit as there is an auxiliary input for both sides of the Stick. Heck it's got a mic input so you could technically run a third input if you are singing.
2. You can control the input settings on the unit so that the unit knows that there are two independent signal chains that you will be configuring.
3. The unit is an AD converter (!). You can use this to plug into Garageband, Pro Tools, Cubase, etc.
4. The unit has a headphone jack so you can simply plug your Stick into it. Convenient, seriously.
5. You can control the output settings if you are running 2 separate rigs (lines in a mixer, etc.).
6. Wide variety of quality Line 6 effects and amp modeling along with simple looping, built in tuner and tap tempo for delays (fav) and any parameter you want to assign to the built in foot controller. There will be no shortage of new sounds to discover and the expression pedal is a nice value add.
7. Rugged design, solid pedal construction.
8. Active and helpful Line 6 community.
9. They have a HD edit tool so you can create sounds in their user interface and then connect your unit to computer to sync. Big value add for visual configuration. Good on both PCs and Macs.
10. Download other sounds from other Line 6 POD HD players. Plug and play others configurations.
11. MIDI in and out/through if you are into that.
12. Effects loop if there is STILL not enough effect mojo for you.

So those are some good things. Here are some of the cons:
1. You are going to need to do some reading and some testing with configuration of the unit.
2. You are going to need to do some reading and some testing with configuration of the unit (listed a second time for effect).
3. A little big for a single unit, but considerably easier to work with than multiple pedals, cables and racks.
4. The power unit is a little cheesy, I would have preferred a standard power unit rather than a glorified PS-120
5. There is no on / off switch(?!). I don't know why that bugs the f@ck out of me, but it does.

All in all, an entrant that should be considered if you are looking for a single pedal solution. Scalable, elegant and relevant for the Stickist that wants an all in one pedal, doesn't mind spending a little time testing sounds and a fair amount of time researching and configuring the unit.

Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:50 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

I think the POD HD500X is a great value - for under $500, it's one device that can be a complete effects solution for the Stick but also has a lot of flexibility. Once you understand how to set up the routing for two independent signal chains, you can make it as simple or complicated as you like- you can go a long way with just the chorus, delay and reverb effects blocks, and the included software makes it easy to edit patches.

The HD500 (previous version) has been the basis for my live rig for a few years now, and since then I've expanded the setup to include a StepABout for better EQ and routing control, and a Strymon BigSky reverb pedal for more elaborate and higher quality acoustic spaces. But the HD500 by itself is still a very nice all in one solution.

Rosewood Grand Stick #7025 - Mirrored 4ths 5+7
Paduak Grand Stick #5197 - Mirrored 4ths 6+6

Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:07 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Artisan Contributor
Artisan Contributor

If you want to save money you could pick up a used Line6 POD X3 Live. It was the version before the 500 series. Although it doesn't have all the features of the 500s it has the main ones

1. Two effects chains so you can process both sides of the Stick separately.
2. USB input of adjusting sounds and recording
3. headphone out
4. auxiliary jack input
5. effects and amp simulations that cover guitar, bass and vocals (full range)

The one thing I just ran into that I don't like is that the headphones don't have a mix on them. In other words one side of the Stick comes through one ear and the other side to the other. That type of mix/separation drives me nuts to the point that I can't use that way. Other than that, I use my X3 all the time.

Wed Feb 12, 2014 3:03 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

rwkeating wrote:
The one thing I just ran into that I don't like is that the headphones don't have a mix on them. In other words one side of the Stick comes through one ear and the other side to the other. That type of mix/separation drives me nuts to the point that I can't use that way. Other than that, I use my X3 all the time.

When I had one, I didn't remember I had this problem. Are you sure you are using it correctly or maybe something is wrong with your unit?

Wed Feb 12, 2014 4:11 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

rtweaking, Studio/Direct Mix: pan straight up Tone 1, Tone 2. problem solved for headphones. you hafta reconfigure if you send your outputs to seperate amps for live, but itsa quick change. i have no problem, my live rig is 2 powered loudspeakers, full stereo image. oh yeah, stereo chorus and delay? the only way to fly...i have not had any problems w my PODX3 and it's 5yrs old. but if it ever dies on a gig it's thru the nearest window. hey, cant get too attached to technology...

Wed Feb 12, 2014 4:25 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Hey Douglas.
The PodHD500 is a good buy. I wont reiterate all the things mentioned above. I had a hell of a time setting this unit up to run in stereo.....I just couldnt figure it out, then I got help from Rob M and was up and running in a half hour......
The software editor that comes with the package is your best friend when trying to program this unit.
Learning is funner with effects......eheheh.
Good luck

cheers,
kev

Wed Feb 12, 2014 7:43 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Artisan Contributor
Artisan Contributor

Thanks guys! I got the headphones on the Pod X3 Live sorted out now :D

Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:01 pm
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

hey Russell, sorry i got your handle wrong, glad u got the phones prob. solved. checked u out on Youtube. nice stuff. Royal Cats...mischievous

Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:26 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery