It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:01 am

Starting the Search for a Melody Side Amp 
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Starting the Search for a Melody Side Amp
kevin-c wrote:
Like most folks I am going to push my own gear and ask if you've tried a Fishman Soloamp? Dude, this amp kills........ a one stop solution.

Oh Kevin, I confirm. I'm heading to France monday for a 2 weeks vacation and I'll take a minimal rig with me (although less minimal than the caribbean travel rig).

So I just plugged the stick in mono in a zoom pedal, then straight into the fishman's channel 1.

Channel 2 is used for the microphone.

And once again, I was flabbergasted by the quality of this handy pole supported killer linear array :)

O.

Sat Apr 19, 2014 4:24 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Re: Starting the Search for a Melody Side Amp
greg wrote:
My only caveat against the twin is that it's really heavy. Make sure you get one with the Jensen ceramic magnets. Some people like to put JBLs in the amp, but to me they sound too dark for The Stick.

Thanks, Greg. Yeah, I used to work in a couple of full-line music stores which carried Fender products, so I know first-hand how heavy those things are. I guess when you're my size you should take advantage of it while you can, right?
Thanks for the tip about the Jensens, too!

http://www.facebook.com/LucBergeronMusic

Sat Apr 19, 2014 6:12 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

The twin is an interesting choice. I always found them way too loud to react well with a guitar in anything but a larger room (depending on the type of guitar tone required, that is) but for a Stick all that valve headroom should be glorious!

I don't know what prices are like now, but the old 70s silver face ones are bullet proof and simple and will last you forever.

Enjoy!

Tim

Sat Apr 19, 2014 2:31 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Duchead wrote:
The twin is an interesting choice. I always found them way too loud to react well with a guitar in anything but a larger room (depending on the type of guitar tone required, that is) but for a Stick all that valve headroom should be glorious!

Tim

So far, all my Stick amplification is stuff I was using for other instruments.
I have an Evil Robot amp which I played very bad guitar through, but is a fantastic melody side amp for the Stick after I decided to give up trying to be a guitarist. I changed the primary pre-amp valve from a 12AX7 to a 12AU7 to give me more headroom, and it sounds sublime :)

-Marc-

Sat Apr 19, 2014 10:51 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

Just tell me know: will I have the opportunity to drop some science if I catch up on this thread?

Yes, I am drinking and sorry I did not see this earlier.

Last edited by Robstafarian on Mon Feb 23, 2015 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:00 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Rob: Drop away. Others can ignore it if they wish.
So many people have lately been extolling the virtues of all-in-one, self-contained systems (like the Fishman Solo; one was used at the NE seminar and it was lovely)) that I'm seriously wondering if I should go that direction. If I'm ever playing with a band, and needed extra oomph, I'm thinking that running a line into the PA would do the trick.

http://www.facebook.com/LucBergeronMusic

Thu May 01, 2014 5:19 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Luc wrote:
I'm seriously wondering if I should go that direction.

Many benefits in this direction:

1) less fiddling about with gear = more time dedicated to practice
2) lighter rig = less fatigue for your back
3) and since you don't need a truck to go to a gig you'll save money and keep the planet clean

In fact, I have stopped wondering about gear a long time ago, when my son showed me he could play well on ANY drum kit. He said: "Dad, it's all in the way you play. Gear is just a bad excuse for lazy musicians". Kids are sometimes wiser than their parents ;)

Thu May 01, 2014 10:59 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

Luc wrote:
Rob: Drop away. Others can ignore it if they wish.

Heh, you may as well put up the Bat Signal. :lol:

I have a Mesa Boogie Formula preamp that I am willing to sell. It breaks down like this:
  • Two independent channels (with a quasi-third channel sharing TMB EQ with channel two)
  • Gain boost on channel one
  • Four tube gain stages
  • A stereo parallel effects loop
  • TRS balanced stereo main outs (you can put effects between these and the signal destination for series effects)
  • TRS balanced stereo recording outs which attempt to mimic the sound of a full amp (not including speaker cabinet)
  • Mesa's five band graphic EQ
  • 1U chassis, 13.25 inches deep
  • Weighs eight pounds
You could run the output of this preamp into whatever you want as a balanced line-level signal, including an all-in-one PA.

Regardless of your interest in purchasing that, I am finding it difficult to write my advice as a forum post. Would you be up for discussing it, via Skype or some other means? Hell, it might be a fun Google+ Hangout if you want to go that route.

EDIT 2/23/2015: Watch Free Hands Friday Episode 40 before you shop for a melody side amp.

Thu May 01, 2014 4:39 pm