It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:49 pm

Recording software for the iPad 

Post Recording software for the iPad
I've been looking at recording software for the iPad and one the things I'm trying to work out is whether the iPad is up to it.
There are many free apps available, and although many are good, very often you get what you pay for. I've found one called Aurie by WaveMachine Labs that looks very interesting. The screen shots shown in the App Store look akin to an early version of Cubase I used to use and it looks very feature rich.
The price tag is £35 which although is expensive for an iPad app, is peanuts for a PC application.
Does anyone have an opinion or had any experience with it, or recording on the iPad in general?

Thu May 22, 2014 1:24 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Re: Recording software for the iPad
I'm not sure which app is better for this. Are you familiar with this site?

http://discchord.com

Lots of good info there.

-Eric

Rosewood SG12 #5966, Mirrored 4ths
Twitter: @ejknapp
http://ericjknapp.com

Thu May 22, 2014 10:03 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Recording software for the iPad
Auria is, AFAIK, the only app designed for recording and mixing. I know a couple guys who use it to record their synth rigs. One uses it to mix multiple inputs during live sets.

Rosewood Alto #5764

Thu May 22, 2014 10:34 am
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

Haven't used iPad for audio recording yet, I'd need an additional power supply for RME Babyface, so I haven't bothered. I'm always home anyway :)

I'd say the critical part is the audio interface, more than which software.

Thu May 22, 2014 12:42 pm

Thanks for the website link, EricTheGray. It has some interesting stuff on it.

I've also found some YouTube videos that show some of what the Auria can do and it does look good.

You are right about the audio interface, Carbon. Most references on their website seem to refer to the IPad 2 whereas I have the IPad retina.

I am looking at the Apple Lightning to USB Camera Adapter and Behringer UCA202.

Will the Stick be able to plug directly into the UCA202 or will I need some sort of DI box as well?

Fri May 23, 2014 6:13 am
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

IAmThereforeIMustBe wrote:
Will the Stick be able to plug directly into the UCA202 or will I need some sort of DI box as well?

If you have the Stick with the active pickups, then DI box isn't required.
Although I can say that I go straight to the mixer also with my guitar with passive pickups - I've tried using a DI box, but didn't hear any difference.

I'm not familiar with the UCA202. If it has enough gain, low latency, then you're OK.

Fri May 23, 2014 11:57 am
Artisan Contributor
Artisan Contributor

Use the lighting port for stereo ins and outs. Its the best fidelity too. And yeah, just get some high end software app for like 30-50$. Its worth it. And yea ive heare a few, its crazy good tech now. I was beyond skeptical and in stead of buying a new looper for 500+$, I went left field (for me) and went for the Ipad, with bluetooth foot thing(for loops and fx), and a stereo and midi interface for same price. I mean there are great apps to choose from, I like the effects and audiobus for stick and midi with basic multi tracking. But I think there are mad sophisitcated apps for recording if thats your trip. I could rave all day man, seriously it has only crashed like 3 times and i had all these games running in the backround so it may have been 'user error. peace

Fri May 23, 2014 4:44 pm
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Last edited by Jayesskerr on Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fri May 23, 2014 9:03 pm

Thanks for all the info guys. It's much appreciated.

I hear you on the quality side, Jayesskerr, but unfortunately my budget is limited after buying the stick.

I watched a couple of videos on Cubasis today and also someone using Apple Lightning to USB Camera Adapter and Behringer UCA222 (I'm not sure what the difference is to the UCA202).
I'm going to have to stick the budget solution for the time being and upgrade later as I grow out of it.
The Cubasis is a better bet for me because I would like to record midi tracks as well, and I don't think Auria does that. Also I use to use Cubase SX many years ago and always got on with it very well.

I will post some of the results once I get to grips with the stick.

Sun May 25, 2014 12:50 pm