It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:36 pm

New Amp - KC-350 Keyboard Amp, or 12" Powered PA. Thoughts? 
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post Re: New Amp - KC-350 Keyboard Amp, or 12" Powered PA. Thoug
Budget? Let's just say that the QSC K12 is pushing the limits of marital harmony.

Luc, If I were to go with the powered speaker approach, I would need a mixer (two sides of the stick plus voice). The mixing issue is the main attraction of the keyboard amps.

Marty

Last edited by Marty6126 on Thu May 29, 2014 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wed May 28, 2014 5:07 pm
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Luc wrote:
What would the chain be, then? Stick bass and melody sides into their respective pedal board(s) (whether it's an HD500x or a pair of Zooms), then into 2 channels in a mixer, and then to the powered speakers?
Could you also set it up: Stick into mixer, effects send/return hooked up to the pedal board(s), and of course then out to the powered speakers?
Yes and yes.

Think of it like this. A combo amp is an all in one unit that features a preamp, power amp, and speaker (forget about FX for a second). When you go the amp head and cabinet route, you're essentially using a unit that is a preamp and power amp in one running into a speaker. By using a powered speaker, you're moving the power amp from one piece of gear to the other. In other words, a powered speaker is power amp and speaker in one unit. That means you still need a preamp. Maybe you're using a multi-effects unit to preamp. Maybe you're using a dedicated preamp (like a StepAbout).

The short version of all that is that it's really not any different from anything else. You've just moved the power amp.

Wed May 28, 2014 5:16 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

The SR Technology Jam 150 has fabulous bass response and crisp highs at low (and higher) volume. It also has plenty of inputs for the stick, a microphone and auxiliary devices.

Thu May 29, 2014 4:17 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

I recall Greg had a pair of these out at the FHA last year. They were very portable and powerful. I did not get a chance to hear the model with the built-in effects (courtesy Alesis), I bet those sound great for Chapman Stick.

Thu May 29, 2014 8:35 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

The SR was essentially going to become the "Stick Amp" several years back but cost was an issue right from the get go due in part to the import from Italy. It was a really nice sounding amp for Stick though but IMO you can do just as well for less money with the alternatives ... at least in the US.

Quote:
Let's just say that the QSC K12 is pushing the limits of marital harmony.
:) Yeah I understand. I struck up a deal with my charming spouse many years ago that I'd put money earned via music in a separate place and call it my "guilt free" stash. That worked really well for several years but I've been on a bit of a gigging hiatus and the stash is running thin.

Thu May 29, 2014 10:25 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

gpoorman wrote:
Quote:
Let's just say that the QSC K12 is pushing the limits of marital harmony.
:) Yeah I understand. I struck up a deal with my charming spouse many years ago that I'd put money earned via music in a separate place and call it my "guilt free" stash. That worked really well for several years but I've been on a bit of a gigging hiatus and the stash is running thin.

Ha! This could be a nice thread all by itself, "How to finance our habit?" I was using my side consulting income but I have stopped doing that and closed my business. Now I have to find a new way. Hmm....

-Eric

Rosewood SG12 #5966, Mirrored 4ths
Twitter: @ejknapp
http://ericjknapp.com

Thu May 29, 2014 10:43 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

Cost. Well, music takes - that's for sure. And what it does give back, well, it's generally not in cash :D

Cost was a factor for me as well, always is. I looked at the QSC option, but it was simply too much for a single amp and I needed a pair of speakers, not just one. Kevin Keith had a pair of QSC's up at the FHA last year as well - I knew that Emmett was excited to play through them having heard Rob's glowing review. They sounded great - and at $849, one can expect no less.

Regardless of which option you choose, if you do select a powered speaker, keep in mind that some have 2 channels with independent volume in the back. So while having a mixer is nice to have, it is not required. You could run a Stick mono through one channel and voice through another with a single powered speaker. Lots of options.

Thu May 29, 2014 1:56 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

OK. Let's taken as given that the QSC K12's are they way to go. Let's also say that the Roland options are a better choice than their Behringer equivalents.

BUT, for discussion (argument?) sake, let's say the choice is between, say, the Behringer K3000FX keyboard amp, and a pair of Behringer Eurolive B212D's. Which do you prefer, and why?

Fri May 30, 2014 8:57 am
Site Donor
Site Donor

I use an ACTV-2, so I get a pretty hot signal out of a keyboard amp. The keyboard amp is really not ideal if you are using a passive pickup as the amp is expecting a line-level input. Tom G. and Greg H. have feelings on that that they have shared with me. Believe me, it's a thing with a passive pickup.

If you are switching between passive and active pickups, you're going to have a bad time (stepabout plug here). For that reason, I am of the opinion that a full range powered speaker is ideal. It may be that the amp has instrument level in puts - all good, it's just that I'm 4 gigs in with my powered speakers and never going back.

I could also be trying to justify the $1k I just dropped on two new speakers, stands and cables - so take that with a grain of salt. :D

Fri May 30, 2014 10:00 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

OK. My wallet is now $1000 lighter than this morning.

I took my stick and compared the Behringer K3000FX and the QSC K12. Just as everyone has predicted in this thread, there was no contest. the keyboard amp sounded OK, but pretty ordinary. Then I tried the K12. Wow! It was like I was playing a different instrument. I could hear overtones in the K12 that I couldn't hear at all in the K3000FX.

I also tried the K10, which also sounded great (better in some ways), but it lacked some of the warmth and presence of the K12.

So, I scoffed at my budget and went for the K12.

Now to unpack that baby and start making beautiful sounds....

Last edited by Marty6126 on Fri May 30, 2014 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri May 30, 2014 4:22 pm