It is currently Tue May 14, 2024 9:39 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Hey! Have you heard about the Lap Dawg? 
Contributor
Contributor

Post Re: Hey! Have you heard about the Lap Dawg?
Lookit what I got in the mail today! I love this thing!

In a seated position, the Stick is now uber-stable (I think someone mentioned that that don't even need the strap really and I'm noticing the same thing) and the arms retract if you want to stand up - or, added bonus! if you want to put the instrument back on the stand. It's a beautifully engineered piece and looks right at home with the high-tech belt hook assembly on the Stick already.

Michael, you have really knocked it out of the park with this one! This is one of the best accessory purchases* for the Stick that you can make.

Wow!

*PS. Also one of the smoothest transactions as well. Shipping happened immediately and it arrived in a well-packed little box with clear instructions, an invoice and a thoughtful spacer plate for wider instruments that would make it difficult to retract the arms otherwise. In addition to the bonkers-cool engineering, MJ is also class act on the business end.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

10-String Grand Stick #5466

Sat Sep 06, 2014 2:47 pm
Artisan Contributor
Artisan Contributor

Bravo Michael! Many congratulations for on LapDawg's success. You truly deserve it.

www.chapdoc.com
www.chapman-design.com

Sun Sep 07, 2014 2:56 pm
Master Contributor
Master Contributor

What can I say... I'm humbled so many players find my gadget to be as useful as I hoped it would be. I still have a half dozen in stock but they're going fast. The next batch are in the oven and should be available to ship in approx 30 days. Anyone who wants one before then needs to gimme a shout.

Tue Sep 09, 2014 11:03 pm

Was able to install and use it on my Railboard over the weekend and it works great. I can sit/play without the shoulder strap without any problem. What a wonderfully elegant design. I immediately ordered a second one for my older Tarara instrument and Michael is sending it along with a newer belt-hook assembly that Emmett graciously threw in for free. Thanks to Michael for such a great design/construction and thanks to Emmett for his generosity.

Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:10 am
Profile My Photo Gallery

Update, I have now installed a second Lap Dawg on my old 1990 Tarara (No. 188). Michael included a replacement belt hook assembly with this one that Emmett generously provided free of charge. I know have Lap Dawgs on both of my instruments and they are great add-ons. I can't say enough great things about this ingenious accessory.

Thanks Michael and special thanks to Emmett and SE for providing the belt hook assembly.

Mon Sep 22, 2014 3:39 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Master Contributor
Master Contributor

A new batch of 2 dozen Lap Dawgs just came off the mill and after clean-up and powder coating will be shipping in about 10 days or so. This time around I made a couple left-handed Dawgs in case one of the few lefties with actual left-handed Sticks would like to partake in the Lap Dawg experience. Lefty belt hooks may need some minor but easily done tweaking to facilitate Lap Dawg mounting I'm told. Shoot me a PM for more details on that subject or to purchase a Lap Dawg. I still have 3 in stock from the last batch.

Mon Sep 22, 2014 4:32 pm

The Lap Dawg is exactly the type of accessory I've wanted/needed, ever since I purchased my Stick (a 12 String Grand) - good show! I plan to order one, but first was wondering - when the Lap Dawg's arms are retracted, will the Stick with the Lap Dawg installed fit back in the flight case without having to modify anything? That is, in particular, will the ends of the Lap Dawg's arms clear the edge of flight case's foam piece that supports the bridge end of the Stick? Note, I'll probably be installing the Lap Dawg in the top hole of the belt hook, as I have the belt hook installed using the set of screw holes that's second from the top. Thanks in advance for any guidance on this.

Fri Oct 10, 2014 5:03 pm
Contributor
Contributor

Is the Lap Dawg comfortable with a fairly heavy Stick? I ask because the contact points appear from the photos to be smaller in diameter than on some homemade lap devices I've seen.

Max

Sun Oct 12, 2014 11:54 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

It would be a simple fix if you did feel discomfort to add extra padding around the rests or on the tops of your legs. I have no discomfort using it with an SG12.

Rosewood Alto #5764

Sun Oct 12, 2014 2:20 pm
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks Carvingcode - my Stick currently sits on a cello spike, but I tried a home made lap bar, and that gives the instrument side to side stability the spike doesn't have (as would the LapDawg). I guess I could probably slide some wider pipe insulation over the arms, or maybe home gym grips.

Max

Tue Oct 14, 2014 4:40 am
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next