It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:36 pm

fEarful Subwoofer 
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

Post fEarful Subwoofer
Another thread (Bb Stick! in Alternatives) led to this topic. Robstafarian suggested moving it over.

Here's my situation: I have an Eden Nemesis 2x10 combo, which is solid-state, dependable, and 200 watts; and an SWR Baby Blue II combo, which has wonderful tone, and two 8" speakers, and a 5" tweeter, and 160 watts.

I use either amp for my bass side. Both amps can put out more wattage with an external cab, but they are each kind of small and light, and I"m noticing some drop-off of amplitude at the bottom of my bass end.

So - what to do with a subwoofer? I'm saving up now for one. How big should the speaker be? And the cabinet? What kind of crossover should I use? Should I get a powered subwoofer? What brands do y'all like out there? Do I even need a subwoofer, or should I be doing something in a full range setup?

Thanks,

R

Mon Mar 09, 2015 7:12 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Re: fEarful Subwoofer
Don't get caught up in all this frequency/gear stuff. What sounds good to your ear? what is the application going to be? I have played through guitar amp/bass amp set up which was great... what I finally settled on were two QSC K12 Powered Monitors and 1 K-Sub that is loaded with 2 12's. I use the sub when I am doing a bigger room and am also playing 5 string bass. I have found the K12's to be awesome. I am also waiting on the new StepABout which should be here any day. While I appreciate all of the info on frequency, gear etc... I really boils down to what sounds good to your ear and what applications you are going to be using the rig in. The Eden and the SWR Baby Blue II are fine if it sounds good to you, your getting good low end response and the melody is clear.... what else do you need? My vote is if your going to change gear, go with the QSC, you will not be sorry :ugeek:

Mon Mar 09, 2015 7:29 am
Master Contributor
Master Contributor

rclere wrote:
Don't get caught up in all this frequency/gear stuff. What sounds good to your ear?

Amen to that...and word!!!

If you have nothing to play through and in the market, this frequency/gear info can be very helpful. But most of the time it just encourages me to be unsatisfied with what I already have...which in reality, already sounds good to my ear. And since I've got something to play through, I can spend my time on technique and the sheer joy of playing rather than researching how I can support the run away consumerism in our culture.

Wow! How did I end up there? :oops: Good point, rclere!

Mon Mar 09, 2015 9:00 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

rodan07 wrote:
Here's my situation: I have an Eden Nemesis 2x10 combo, which is solid-state, dependable, and 200 watts; and an SWR Baby Blue II combo, which has wonderful tone, and two 8" speakers, and a 5" tweeter, and 160 watts.

[...]
So - what to do with a subwoofer? I'm saving up now for one. How big should the speaker be? And the cabinet? What kind of crossover should I use? Should I get a powered subwoofer? What brands do y'all like out there? Do I even need a subwoofer, or should I be doing something in a full range setup?

The fEARful subwoofers are not true subwoofers: they are named that way to indicate that they should not be used on their own (like a typical single woofer bass cab).

My recommendation is to avoid mixing speaker cabinets and go with a single, full range cabinet. The only exception I would make is for stacking complimentary cabinets (e.g. a fEARful cabinet with complimentary sub or an inverted stack of fEARfuls), since it maintains the single source aspect of using a single cabinet.

Even assuming you did not mind the added cost, size, and weight of adding a proper (i.e. non-fEARful) subwoofer to your rig, it is false economy with regard to frequency response. You would need a truly massive, multi-kilowatt subwoofer to provide a meaningful increase in low frequency extension at gig volumes.

If you are at all open to restructuring your rig, then I will be glad to get into that math.
rclere wrote:
Don't get caught up in all this frequency/gear stuff.

Since he is already considering new gear, this is exactly the time to get caught up in it. It is necessary to compare the plan's cost to its benefit.
rclere wrote:
While I appreciate all of the info on frequency, gear etc... I really boils down to what sounds good to your ear and what applications you are going to be using the rig in. The Eden and the SWR Baby Blue II are fine if it sounds good to you, your getting good low end response and the melody is clear.... what else do you need? My vote is if your going to change gear, go with the QSC, you will not be sorry :ugeek:

What it really boils down to is what you get for your money. Whereas I am glad that you are happy with your rig, you could have done better and spent less money in the process. This is the danger posed by a market which is lubricated with bullshit. I normally avoid directly criticizing people's gear, but I will do so in order to prevent people from spending more than they could (or should). Having said that, my analysis of the QSC K12 (and matching subwoofer) can be found here.
mike kemp wrote:
And since I've got something to play through, I can spend my time on technique and the sheer joy of playing rather than researching how I can support the run away consumerism in our culture.

That is exactly why I avoid criticizing people's gear. This is art, folks: how you feel is part of how you work.

Mon Mar 09, 2015 2:25 pm
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

Thanks Robstafarian!

Every time I re-read your postings about cabinet design I get more intrigued. It makes me want to set up my own carpentry shop in my garage! But when I think of all the practice time that would cost me, I think I should just shell out another three or four hundred bucks to have someone build it all for me.

I may go the mediocre route and get a Fender 115 (that goes with the Rumble 350 & 500 heads), because I can put it on layaway at a local shop, and the total cost will be $250 plus tax. It's 8 Ohms, and I could use it with either of my bass amps to round out the tone. It has a switchable tweeter too.

Thanks again!

R

Tue Mar 10, 2015 7:59 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

You know Robstafarian, these are just YOUR opinions, not the gospel truth... How do you know I could have done better and spent less... I have played bass for 40+ years and have toured in that time with various artists and played through various rigs, so I know a little about sound reinforcement and bass rigs. Also, the cat who does my sound and is an engineer at a studio that I record at researched the best rig for my tastes, sound, applications and QSC was it. My experience comes from playing out, being on the road in many different venues. With all respect, you are starting to sound a little "preachy" for my tastes. :geek:

Tue Mar 10, 2015 8:47 am
Site Donor
Site Donor

rclere wrote:
Also, the cat who does my sound and is an engineer at a studio that I record at researched the best rig for my tastes, sound, applications and QSC was it.

The chances are good that part of why he recommend that setup was that he did not know about Greenboy's or Alex Claber's (Barefaced Bass in the UK) speaker designs. That entire scenario is half of why I am "preachy."
rclere wrote:
With all respect, you are starting to sound a little "preachy" for my tastes. :geek:

The other half is that years of poverty have changed me such that I cannot stand to watch people spend money less efficiently than they could.

You might have noticed how many disclaimers I have written about criticizing people's equipment; you may also have noticed how many times I could have "preached," but did not: all of them were scenarios in which I would have had to criticize someone's equipment. This is not just gear to me: this is what people have worked for. I do not take that lightly at all.

Tue Mar 10, 2015 10:45 am
Site Donor
Site Donor

rodan07 wrote:
I may go the mediocre route and get a Fender 115 (that goes with the Rumble 350 & 500 heads), because I can put it on layaway at a local shop, and the total cost will be $250 plus tax.

That leads me to ask: would you rather keep that money and your current rig a while longer? That Fender 115 will not achieve what you set out to do.

Tue Mar 10, 2015 10:48 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Hey Rodan.
I use an 18",unpowered passive sub, paired with a 2x15 with a horn. Let me tell you,....this thing is fucking devastating. Bowel shaking, earthquaking. Made by Yorkville Sound (Canadian)
It doesn't leave the basement though, I have another amp for that.

I really dig playing through a full range PA in the comfort of my house. Its overkill but I like to play super loud and feel it in me bones.

If you're on the fence about a sub, take the plunge......no need to spend a grand, 400 or so should get you something decent me thinks, you wont be sorry....

cheers,
kev

Tue Mar 10, 2015 12:57 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

@Robstafarian... again, all your opinion. There is a difference between being a working musician ,playing venues indoors and outdoors, than just doing research. How many of these rigs have you played through to give this advice? And if you are giving advice through the lens of your own experience (poverty), then that is suspect. I really appreciate all of the knowledge that you have amassed through research and study... I have read your posts and really appreciate all of the information that you put out there. I certainly do not have that knowledge @ hand. However, until you have experienced live playing etc. and have felt the bass frequencies in your guts, it all just remains in the head, not the body and not the ear. It all boils down to what sounds good to YOUR self, no matter how much you spend. Blessings to you Robstafarian, and keep putting out the great posts that you do.... You really do a great service!! And I am excited for you to get your new Stick! 8-)

Tue Mar 10, 2015 4:49 pm