It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 1:55 am

10 string Graphite vs 12 String Grand 
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post 10 string Graphite vs 12 String Grand
I am seriously considering these 2 options for a couple of sticks on EBay. I have never played a stringed instrument and I was looking for opinions on these 2... pro's, con's, 10 vs 12 string, graphite vs wood (Paduk?).
I have contacted both sellers, the 12 string gent (#5738) has responded several times to all my questions. The 10 string gent (#5603) not so much, I can't seem to get him to tell me anything about his stick or what's included in the sale. I'm not sure that's important, but it would be nice to know.
I have put my custom electronic drum kit up for sale, and will be re-hoofing that money for a stick. If either of these is a good deal, I might have to lend myself some money before the drums sell!! Thankfully my wife let's me play :-) .
Price wise they are close (asking price), but before I dive in I'd be interested to know what ya'll think.
Thanks,
RandO
10 string graphite:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/181629737813?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT
12 string grand:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/251772878542?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT

12 String Padauk Grand #6693, Classic Tuning, medium strings, GK3 MIDI

Sat Jan 03, 2015 6:57 am
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Post Re: 10 string Graphite vs 12 String Grand
Both are beautiful...so tough to choose only one... :(

https://alainauclair.bandcamp.com/

Sat Jan 03, 2015 8:10 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Personally, I would take the 12 string Grand.... You will like the extra strings (Bass High 4th tuning), and if the cat is more forthcoming in communication, that tells ya something right threre!!
welcome to the forum
:ugeek:

Sat Jan 03, 2015 8:29 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Hi! Consider this - some of the best instructional materials focus on 10-string. As a beginner you're not going to experience a significant need for 12 strings and the extras may just get in your way. Also, if you get s used Stick at a reasonable price, you should be able to sell it in a year for a similar price. By then you can evaluate if you really do want to go the 12 string (or Railboard!) route.

All that being said, I'd get the 12 string. :). But not at that price - he's got to come down s bit.

♬·¯·♩¸¸♪·¯·♫¸¸♬·¯·♩¸¸♪·¯·♫
Tarara 10-String #6300 DBR
Black Railboard #6594 BM
♬·¯·♩¸¸♪·¯·♫¸¸♬·¯·♩¸¸♪·¯·♫

Sat Jan 03, 2015 8:49 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

h3dg3h0g wrote:
Hi! Consider this - some of the best instructional materials focus on 10-string. As a beginner you're not going to experience a significant need for 12 strings and the extras may just get in your way. Also, if you get s used Stick at a reasonable price, you should be able to sell it in a year for a similar price. By then you can evaluate if you really do want to go the 12 string (or Railboard!) route.

All that being said, I'd get the 12 string. :). But not at that price - he's got to come down s bit.
I tend to agree with the general comment here from Jonathan,

Visual and tactile cues are much clearer on a 10-string. All of the more skilled players started on 10-string instruments (that's all there was), and though there's no way to prove this is beneficial, learning the method and technique is the most important part, not how many notes you can play at one time.

These are both pretty expensive instruments. Unless you need a PASV-4, you could spend a lot less overall to get your feet wet. If you don't need MIDI, factor that into the graphite instrument as well.

You only need 10-strings to do this:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOAuoCCwSQs[/youtube]

Sat Jan 03, 2015 10:09 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Artisan Contributor
Artisan Contributor

For the 10 string, the seller calls it a 10 string Grand. I didn't think they made any graphite 10 string Grands especially with MIDI. If it is a 10 Grand I am guessing it is a fairly rare bird. You could always call SE with the serial number and ask them.

The seller of the 12 sounds like he doesn't know much and is just selling it. He calls it "custom" and it is "never used". Sounds like eBay hype to me. It doesn't mean the instrument is bad it just raises questions about the seller. His description also says "including ... wood". Hu?

I'd feel better buying the 10 from that seller especially if it is a 10 string Grand. Obviously it also depends on final price.

They look like they are from the same time period. It would be good to see pictures of the back of the 12 to see if it has a 2 or 4 way adjustable truss rod.

Sat Jan 03, 2015 12:04 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post 10 string Graphite vs 12 String Grand
Both seem fairly high priced. For about $300-400 more, you can order a new Grand from SE. There is not enough of a discount in it to cover the risk of a used instrument, IMO. I would not buy any of the Sticks currently listed on eBay. For a used, I would be looking much closer to $2000 - about 30% off - for a late model. Just my thoughts.

Rosewood Alto #5764

Sat Jan 03, 2015 1:04 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Thank you folks, good advice and insightful opinions... that's what I need. Being new to this whole Stick family, as well as new to playing a stringed instrument, I truly have no concept as to which is the better way to go, 10 vs 12 string, and more. I am not sure the differences in the 3 types of pickups although I have listened and watched about half of the video about them (I will watch the rest tonite!). I have no previous backround on guitar (I have always been a drummer in bands, but have a music sense, being self taught on piano, penny flute, and a few more) so I am really new! Both of these sticks seem to have the same pickup (PASV-4) and both have the MIDI as well, so that doesn't factor in to the decision making.
There have been several Sticks available, older models for less money. They also have less bells & whistles re: pickups, MIDI, etc. Do these play the same as the newer models? Are they as "user friendly"? Will they sell as well when I am looking for an upgrade? My concern is buying something older will likely make it more difficult to sell down the road when I am ready to upgrade. My thought process says spend a few hundred more, buy as new as possible and then if you need to sell it, it should be easier. I know from experience that I won't necessarily get back what I paid, but I'm ok with that. It's the price of "renting" something for a time. As long as you get something back, it's a win. I don't know if I need MIDI or not, as I am unsure of how any of this works. But I guess I'd rather have that capability than not, if it is only a matter of the difference of 1-2 hundred dollars.
Greg said : "You only need 10-strings to do this:".... yeah, and about 30 years of practice, lol! That is awesome. I'm not looking to play a thousand notes at once, I just want to eventually be able to play a song that some people might recognize :-).
I know everyone will have a different opinion for different reasons, and I'm good with that diversity. It will help with my decision making. Ultimately it also will depend on the final pricing. It looks like both sticks are fairly new. I did call SE Wednesday morning and they filled me in on the graphite stick via the serial #. At the time I had no other info on the 12 string grand, but I do now. Also, the seller of the graphite stick was not communicating, but now we have resolved that issue, and he has been good.
So I think I will make an offer of around $2,000 to each and see if someone takes it or tries to bitchslap me! If I were to guess, I think the 12 string Grand owner will be more amenable to discounting his stick, so which one do I ask first?? I may end up continuing to look for a used one if I don't get any joy with either of these. Part of me is so anxious to get a stick and start learning I fear I will put objectivity aside and lunge for the first available... which unfortunately I have done before, and keep swearing I won't do it again! GAS is a terrible thing to have!
Thank you all...... Keep those opinions coming. I haven't bought anything yet!

12 String Padauk Grand #6693, Classic Tuning, medium strings, GK3 MIDI

Sat Jan 03, 2015 1:45 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

I was going to me somewhat eloquent, but then I saw the prices. Screw that; get a Railboard, and sell it if and when it proves to be a limitation.

Sat Jan 03, 2015 1:48 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

I'm the impatient sort, myself, so rather than ordering something new direct from SE and waiting, I'd most likely go after that graphite myself. $2750 is the "buy it now" price, not a hard number. I'd probably not hesitate to bid $2k or $2200 before reaching the "consideration now required" threshold.

I don't do a lot of ebay business. Is it kosher to ask the seller what the reserve is set at?

Bamboo Grand #7363 MR ACTV2, Tarara Grand #5677 MR PASV4
Tap In Time Podcast: tapintime.podbean.com/

Sat Jan 03, 2015 3:37 pm