It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:53 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 9  Next
 New StepAbout..... 
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

Post Re: New StepAbout.....
Max at [sfx] sound in London has made a very nice sounding stick preamp: http://sfxsound.com/sp2/
He's very good at custom projects, so he could build anything you'd like, and the price is reasonable. Great guy!

Something like this would also work: http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MicPower2
Put it between the StepAbout and your R-Block with the appropriate cables and you'll be fine ;)

Sun Mar 01, 2015 3:40 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Shedua511 wrote:
Something like this would also work: http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MicPower2
Put it between the StepAbout and your R-Block with the appropriate cables and you'll be fine ;)

There we go. :) Rolls, Audix and some other manufacturers also makes dual channel phantom power units. I actually have a similar box already. Found it an hour ago in the studio and remembered that a friend gave it to me some ten years ago when I had to do a recording that involved condensator mics out in the woods. :D It also runs on batteries. He did not want it back either. I had forgotten that I had it. :D

The ideal thing would be something like this but with tele plugs instead of canon. At least on the output side so fewer adapters would be needed when plugging into a amp, stomp boxes or a StepAbout.

-Mobilis in mobil-

Sun Mar 01, 2015 5:20 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Tim de Martino wrote:
Yeah that MMamp looks nice.

I've made something very similar without the mix control. Two preamps in a box with two ins and two outs. The outs can be mono or stereo and are switched via the second output jack. The first input switches the unit on. It has been THE most used piece of gear since I entered Stickdom. The only thing missing which I will add is a small toggle to sum the two outputs so I can send one signal to two amps when playing bass although I'm sure my little mixer is capable of that also!

Hi Tim,

if you step on the footswitch of the theMMamp, both inputs are summed to both outputs. I sometimes use that to get a mega-fat distortion sound by sending a signal to both bass and guitar amps. :-)
(By the way, it can also be powered with a battery)

All the best,
Johannes

https://sproingg.bandcamp.com/
http://soundcloud.com/jenko-nashorn

Sun Mar 01, 2015 6:07 am
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

nashorn wrote:

Hi Tim,

if you step on the footswitch of the theMMamp, both inputs are summed to both outputs. I sometimes use that to get a mega-fat distortion sound by sending a signal to both bass and guitar amps. :-)
(By the way, it can also be powered with a battery)

All the best,
Johannes

And how much is theMMamp cheaper than the StepAbout?

Sun Mar 01, 2015 8:43 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

I bought mine in 2009 for 230 Euros, if I remember correctly. I don't know what the current price would be.

https://sproingg.bandcamp.com/
http://soundcloud.com/jenko-nashorn

Sun Mar 01, 2015 9:06 am
Site Donor
Site Donor

Jan Hellman wrote:
Robstafarian is another matter and this is the second time he has done the exact same thing and jumped at me regarding rather logical tech stuff. It doesn´t seem like he knows what I do for a living...... :lol:

If what you do for a living is at all relevant, than you should know better than to ascribe the problems of bad product design to a useful feature.
Jan Hellman wrote:
And phantom power is indeed a pain in the old arse in some situations. ESPECIALLY if phantom power comes from a sound console or the input of a amp in a case like this. Cause you can´t unplug your instrument from the input of the console or the amp without turning phantom power off. And often that is not even possible to do or at least very hard to do. And it IS a hassle when switching instruments during a gig. Often dark on stage, you´re often in a hurry and if there even is a switch it´s often very small and not easy to find. Or in the worst of cases it´s a fucking micro switch that you need a bloody tool to change setting on the switch.

Decent product design would make this no more difficult to manage than the "standby" switch on a tube amplifier.
Jan Hellman wrote:
I am on some sort of waiting list to order a nickel/chrome Railboard and I would DEFINITELY buy two (2) external R-Bloc power supply units right away if they´d have one for sale. One to install on the pedal board and one to keep in the pocket on the gig bag.

I looked into this a while back (thankfully, there are times when my ridiculously complex gear research can help people):

Dual Channel Phantom Power:

NOTE: The products listed all have switches to control either the unit as a whole or the phantom power output.
Jan Hellman wrote:
Still think that I should edit my first post regarding phantom power?

Yes, I do. Phantom power is not the cause of those problems: poor product design is. Shopping for equipment carefully and paying close attention to its use would prevent all of those problems.

EDIT: I know that the Whirlwind product was already mentioned; I included it so that the list would be as complete as possible.

Sun Mar 01, 2015 3:37 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Robstafarian wrote:
Jan Hellman wrote:
Robstafarian is another matter and this is the second time he has done the exact same thing and jumped at me regarding rather logical tech stuff. It doesn´t seem like he knows what I do for a living...... :lol:

If what you do for a living is at all relevant, than you should know better than to ascribe the problems of bad product design to a useful feature.
Jan Hellman wrote:
And phantom power is indeed a pain in the old arse in some situations. ESPECIALLY if phantom power comes from a sound console or the input of a amp in a case like this. Cause you can´t unplug your instrument from the input of the console or the amp without turning phantom power off. And often that is not even possible to do or at least very hard to do. And it IS a hassle when switching instruments during a gig. Often dark on stage, you´re often in a hurry and if there even is a switch it´s often very small and not easy to find. Or in the worst of cases it´s a fucking micro switch that you need a bloody tool to change setting on the switch.

Decent product design would make this no more difficult to manage than the "standby" switch on a tube amplifier.
Jan Hellman wrote:
I am on some sort of waiting list to order a nickel/chrome Railboard and I would DEFINITELY buy two (2) external R-Bloc power supply units right away if they´d have one for sale. One to install on the pedal board and one to keep in the pocket on the gig bag.

I looked into this a while back (thankfully, there are times when my ridiculously complex gear research can help people):

Dual Channel Phantom Power:

NOTE: The products listed all have switches to control either the unit as a whole or the phantom power output.
Jan Hellman wrote:
Still think that I should edit my first post regarding phantom power?

Yes, I do. Phantom power is not the cause of those problems: poor product design is. Shopping for equipment carefully and paying close attention to its use would prevent all of those problems.

EDIT: I know that the Whirlwind product was already mentioned; I included it so that the list would be as complete as possible.

Well. Product design COMBINED with phantom power is indeed a problem. Either you make the best out of it or you fight the technology. I prefer to make the best out of it myself. I run a run a professional recording studio with a SSL console and I do lots of gigs each year. And I've played Stick since 1987. So, honestly, shut the fuck off.

-Mobilis in mobil-

Sun Mar 01, 2015 6:47 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

And just to sum things up. I´m sick and TIRED (!!) of Robstafarian and K Rex fucking insults and lack of know-how when it comes to sounds and other matters involving tapping instruments. NO! I won´t edit my first regarding this! Forget it! Fuck off! :( Either stick to the truth or fuck off. Enough now!

-Mobilis in mobil-

Sun Mar 01, 2015 9:16 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

Jan Hellman wrote:
So, honestly, shut the fuck off.

Two hours and 19 minutes of silence later...
Jan Hellman wrote:
And just to sum things up. I´m sick and TIRED (!!) of Robstafarian and K Rex fucking insults and lack of know-how when it comes to sounds and other matters involving tapping instruments. NO! I won´t edit my first regarding this! Forget it! Fuck off! :( Either stick to the truth or fuck off. Enough now!

:?:

Sun Mar 01, 2015 9:21 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

Jan Hellman wrote:
Shedua511 wrote:

There we go. :) Rolls, Audix and some other manufacturers also makes dual channel phantom power units. I actually have a similar box already. Found it an hour ago in the studio and remembered that a friend gave it to me some ten years ago when I had to do a recording that involved condensator mics out in the woods. :D It also runs on batteries. He did not want it back either. I had forgotten that I had it. :D

The ideal thing would be something like this but with tele plugs instead of canon. At least on the output side so fewer adapters would be needed when plugging into a amp, stomp boxes or a StepAbout.

Maybe it could be rehoused with different output jacks? There seems to be little wrong with the rest of the features, especially battery power. Two small preamps could be added in the same box maybe?

Sun Mar 01, 2015 11:25 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 9  Next