It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:23 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 New StepAbout..... 
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post New StepAbout.....
Robstafarian wrote:
Jan Hellman wrote:
So, honestly, shut the fuck off.

Two hours and 19 minutes of silence later...
Jan Hellman wrote:
And just to sum things up. I´m sick and TIRED (!!) of Robstafarian and K Rex fucking insults and lack of know-how when it comes to sounds and other matters involving tapping instruments. NO! I won´t edit my first regarding this! Forget it! Fuck off! :( Either stick to the truth or fuck off. Enough now!

:?:

It´s not the first time you jump at me. You don´t have much knowledge regarding gigs and phantom power devices it seems. This is something I do on a more or less day to day basis professionally and I´ve worked as a music teacher, music store sales person and during the last 15 years I´ve worked as a professional sound technician. This is what I do for a living. I have a SSL console, Neve preamps, Avalon preamps, Bricasti reverbs, I own a EMT 240 reverb and a shitload (!!) of other stuff. You have to understand one thing. Phantom powering and instruments are not totally trouble free in a live concert situation. Questions regarding that?

And, NO, I won´t edit my initial post regarding this. Why? Cause I actually know what I´m talking about. You don´t. Sure, use a fucking low budget mixer if you feel like it. We are all free to do whatever we want and we can use whatever suits us regarding equipment. But I won´t go down that alley. Sound quality actually matters and a 10 channel mixer that costs 250 dollars won´t win over a 650 dollar two channel StepAbout any day of the week.Cause quality matter and sound matter. At least to me. Will I adit my post? No. I won´t. Cause I (!!) think that phantom power and active electronics in a instrument actually complicates things. Feel free to disagree. I don´t fucking care. Do whatever you want. Whatever rocks your boat. But I rather use a external power supply unit and I won´t edit my initial post. And the StepAbout is MUCH better sounding than pretty much alla low budget mixers on the planet. Again, will I edit my post? No. I won´t. Deal with it. And continue to defend Kevin. I don´t care.

-Mobilis in mobil-

Last edited by Jan Hellman on Mon Mar 02, 2015 4:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Mar 01, 2015 11:35 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Re: New StepAbout.....
Tim de Martino wrote:
Maybe it could be rehoused with different output jacks? There seems to be little wrong with the rest of the features, especially battery power. Two small preamps could be added in the same box maybe?

Good idea. I honestly thing that a small power supply unit would be perfect for the R-Bloc. I might try to find some time to find out how many here there that might be interested one (or two) power supply units for the R-Bloc. I´ll also try to find out what´s out there already......

-Mobilis in mobil-

Sun Mar 01, 2015 11:41 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

Tim de Martino wrote:
Two small preamps could be added in the same box maybe?

For a Railboard, phantom power is all the preamp you need: speaking strictly in terms of signal level. Personally, I would want more equalization capabilities than could be ergonomically mounted on/in a small enclosure. Yes, I wish a Rane PEQ-55 would fall into my lap. :lol:

Sun Mar 01, 2015 11:48 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

nashorn wrote:

Hi Tim,

if you step on the footswitch of the theMMamp, both inputs are summed to both outputs. I sometimes use that to get a mega-fat distortion sound by sending a signal to both bass and guitar amps. :-)
(By the way, it can also be powered with a battery)

All the best,
Johannes

Yeah that's what I had in mind but I only need it from one input because I would only really use that feature for bass or guitar. I can see that a footswitch would make more sense than a toggle switch though.

The SFX unit mentioned earlier looks nice but was too expensive when I looked at it a while ago. I tried to cheap out and got a K&K dual channel preamp but found it quite harsh and brittle with the Stickup. It works much better with acoustic guitar and even passive electric bass.

On a side note, there's been a thread going over on Talkbass with two guys designing a small pedal version of a cranked Gallien Kreuger GK700 that looks really cool for all you DIYers out there. I want to give it a go at some stage. http://www.talkbass.com/threads/gk-rail ... 67/page-30

Mon Mar 02, 2015 12:01 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

Jan Hellman wrote:

Good idea. I honestly thing that a small power supply unit would be perfect for the R-Bloc. I might try to find some time to find out how many here there that might be interested one (or two) power supply units for the R-Bloc. I´ll also try to find out what´s out there already......

I will be very interested to see what you come up with.

I got my Railboard for street performance because of it's durability but for passive use I prefer the sound of my undurable but very lovable poly with stickup. If I can get the active Rboard sound through a small battery powered device I will be a very happy Stickist!

Ciao for now,

Tim

Mon Mar 02, 2015 12:10 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

Tim de Martino wrote:
On a side note, there's been a thread going over on Talkbass with two guys designing a small pedal version of a cranked Gallien Kreuger GK700 that looks really cool for all you DIYers out there. I want to give it a go at some stage. http://www.talkbass.com/threads/gk-rail ... 67/page-30

Hang on a second, they are attempting to emulate the sound of a cranked solid state power amp? :shock:

Mon Mar 02, 2015 12:12 am
Site Donor
Site Donor

Robstafarian wrote:
Tim de Martino wrote:

Hang on a second, they are attempting to emulate the sound of a cranked solid state power amp? :shock:

Ever heard or played through one cranked? Oh man.....

Mon Mar 02, 2015 12:22 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Artisan Contributor
Artisan Contributor

For those of you with phantom power woes...

http://www.avlifesavers.com/mutesw.htm

Enjoy

Rosewood Grand, PASV4

Mon Mar 02, 2015 7:20 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

sagehalo wrote:
For those of you with phantom power woes...

http://www.avlifesavers.com/mutesw.htm

Enjoy

That seems like a handy thing to have in some situations. But it might not help out if having to unplug the chord on the console/line-box/amp side, or? Will check it out more and see what it actually does. Thanks!

Here are a bunch of phantom power supply units.....

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/buy/Phantom-Power-Supplies/ci/15142/N/3992462814

Some runs on batteries as well so they can be used when busking.

-Mobilis in mobil-

Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:24 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Would like to take a moment and appologize to Robstafarian. I overreacted earlier. I still think that it was dumb to tell me that I should edit my first post regarding phantom power related issues. And I do think it´s important to talk about problems that can actually appear in some (live) situations and I do know abit what I´m talking about cause this is actually what I work with. It´s not a problem free thing as others as well wrote about in this thread. But I overreacted. I´m sorry, Robstafarian. I want to appologize to Kevin as well as I did mention him. He´s behaved lately and I´ll do my best to not let old grudge och shit come up if not necessary. That was dumb too. So sorry, mates!

//J

-Mobilis in mobil-

Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:42 am
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next