It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:13 pm

upward compression? is it a mistake to work with it 
Post upward compression? is it a mistake to work with it
so I'm still (ha, still..."just beginning" is more accurate) figuring out the amplification issue (while I understand the technical sides of amplificaion...natively I don't come from an electricbackground)

a pretty decent amt of sensitivity seems to be appropriate BUT

Is upward compression advisable? keep in mind I don't have a baseline technique so I'm concerned with stunting basic technique by altering baseline response of the instrument

Last edited by jdwinger on Fri Jul 25, 2014 4:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:56 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post Re: upward compression? is it a mistake to work with it
I should not be considered an authority on the Stick, nor even an owner of one (yet), but I would suggest staying far away from compression while you are a beginner. When learning a new instrument, it is very important to become familiar with its dynamic range and the playing techniques used to manipulate volume.

As you progress, that respect for dynamic range will result in more interesting compositions and better mixes. Compression can have its place when you are more experienced, but it is best applied with a bias toward preserving as much dynamic range as possible.

Last edited by Robstafarian on Sun Mar 15, 2015 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:16 pm
yeah, those are certainly my concerns in general.

while I understand amplification itself --- playing, inherently, though a speaker is relatively new to me.
so linear v non-linear amplification in terms of performance (as opposed to just signal conditioning) is a bit alien

My counter-concern (weird term) is dealing with the width of the dynamic range basically scaling the natural dynamic range up to performance level.

it's kind of like a clavichord (which, in a way, produces a sound similarly) -- they are really really quiet, and there are dynamics, but the whole sound is kind of teeny -- and scaling it can be unwieldy (how the dynamics change down at that level vs how the dynamics change on, say, a pianoforte are pretty different in my experience...different parts of the curve...the lighter end is a new thing for me. I'm used to "laying into" an instrument with acoustic-mechanical "momentum" that a lighter touch electrophone doesn't seem to have)

ah, I remember when I was about 12 and telling my grandad (a broadcat engineer and electric mandolin player) I was building a compressor...he read me the riot act.
To this day, I keep a DBX expander on my stereo

Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:20 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

jdwinger wrote:

while I understand amplification itself --- playing, inherently, though a speaker is relatively new to me.
so linear v non-linear amplification in terms of performance (as opposed to just signal conditioning) is a bit alien

My counter-concern (weird term) is dealing with the width of the dynamic range basically scaling the natural dynamic range up to performance level.

Would you mind clarifying this?

Last edited by Robstafarian on Sun Mar 15, 2015 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:51 am
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

It sounds like you might already know a thing or two about compressors, but I found this site that has pretty expansive information about compressors and a ridiculous amount of reviews of various compressors: http://www.ovnilab.com/faq.shtml

There are basically two schools of thought on compressors: that they are a crutch and hinder your ability to play dynamically, or that they are a tool that enhances your dynamics. After reading through that website, I subscribe to the latter. I have an MXR bass compressor that I have always on.

Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:38 am
Robstafarian wrote:
jdwinger wrote:

Would you mind clarifying this?

sure, which part is kinda throwing ya?

Fri Jul 25, 2014 2:23 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

jdwinger wrote:
sure, which part is kinda throwing ya?

Never mind, I just needed sleep.

Fri Jul 25, 2014 2:32 pm

I play NS/Stick and currently process both sides separately through a two channel power amp into separate speakers cabs (1x12 + 2x10 for bass sides, and a 1x12 guitar cab for the melody side).

Wed May 20, 2015 3:38 am
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

I agree with Robstah; stay away from compressors to learn the Stick playing technique as fast as possible! Although the Stick is extremely sensitive even to the lightest touch it really is possible to learn a good control over dynamics and when you control it all through your hands you are fully in control - not so with too compressed amplification. If you practise with compression you will never notice when you tap too hard and where the sweet spot is and your progress as a player is being delayed.

Fractal Audio AxeFx-III, 2 x RCF NX-10 SMA, Apollo Twin USB

http://youtube.com/perboysen

Wed May 20, 2015 11:57 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Contributor
Contributor

I'm a multi-instrumentalist.

When I am learning something new, I break it down to the least flattering environment where I can hear all the bad and the good. For instance, if you only practiced singing in a Cathedral you'll just instantly think "wow...I sound great".

When you know you have your basics under control (or you need to fool your audience into thinking you do!) the effects come in handy.

The other stage that many people don't understand is that then you learn how to play the effects.
An MXR Dynacomp for instance sounds great on the melody side of the Stick as it increases sustain and brings up quiet playing.
But you don't want to leave it turned on 24/7 learning basic playing with it.

In College, I had a Drummer friend that would practice with his drums in the studio and he would stare at the VU meter and try to peak at the same spot with Kick and Snare.
Of course, he would be compressed when recording/mixing but he wanted the dynamic control coming from his hands first.
25 years later now, HE'S the drummer I call first.

Wed May 20, 2015 12:35 pm