It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:08 pm

Lap Dawg Installed 
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Lap Dawg Installed
Only took a couple minutes and I was in business. Well-designed and easy to get rolling. Looks like it belonged there all along. Compliments to Mr. Johnstone!

Ordered from the online store. Shipped super fast along with my fretboard t-shirt.

That is all.

Sat Apr 25, 2015 1:20 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Re: Lap Dawg Installed
Do you have a flight case or a gig bag? If a flight case, have you tried putting it in yet? You might have to do a little custom-cutting on the inner foam pieces to accommodate the Dawg's arms.
I didn't have to at first, because I had the belt hook set at its highest point, but recently I brought it down a couple of notches, and after that, I found that the Dawg's right arm was making contact with the case's inner foam.

http://www.facebook.com/LucBergeronMusic

Sat Apr 25, 2015 1:31 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Thanks for the tip. Just checked. My hook is up high enough.

Sat Apr 25, 2015 1:38 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

For those interested... It also has just enough clearance from the body on the right side. I'll keep an eye on it and install the pedestal spacer if needed.

The truss nut is positioned (luckily) so I can still get the wrench in there. Another thing to keep an eye on. It would be a pain to have to remove it to get at the truss nut, but not too big of a deal given the ease of installation.

Sat Apr 25, 2015 2:38 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

I had the Lapdog on my Stick, really liked it, however, the arms that swing out just got floppy, even after tightening the nut, so I took it off. I think it is a marvelous, well thought out device, I just did not like those two arms flopping about after some use.

Sat Apr 25, 2015 2:42 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Hey Randy.
Is the floppiness when you are seated with the Stick and playing? Can you elaborate?

cheers,
kev

Sat Apr 25, 2015 3:10 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Master Contributor
Master Contributor

Ok that issue comes from the fact that the two 7/8" 8-32 machine screws that act as hinges for the arms can come unseated from the main body and actually turn when the arms are folded and unfolded. They were seated quite tight in their countersunk holes during manufacturing and are designed not to do that. The trick is for the arms to turn when necessary but to have enough friction to stay where you leave them. On early versions of the Lap Dawg I used black oxide coated steel washers on either side of the arms and all held together with 8-32 lock nuts - the kind with the delrin insert. So then the nut could be precisely tightened so the arms would stay put but the slick washers would still allow it to move. What happened over time was the oxide would wear off the washers after a while and the ensuing unwanted friction would cause the whole assembly - screw,washers,and lock nut to come unseated and turn in place as one big assembly when the arm was folded or unfolded. Trying to tighten the nut - again just turned the whole assembly in place and failed to fix the underlying issue. It took time for this syndrome to reveal itself to players and for me to become aware of it. The last batch with that problem should be the ones sold up to and including August of 2014 and would probably include the ones sold at FHA in Los Angeles. Since then I have started putting a drop of Loc-Tite under the screw head in the countersunk cavity and then also I've started using delrin washers instead of the black oxide ones which ease the folding/unfolding motion whilst retaining enough friction in the hinging action to make things work as they should and the Loc-Tite keeps the screw/hinge tightly seated. Since doing those 2 things I haven't had any reports of floppy arms. If anyone has older Dawgs or any era Dawgs with that issue,shoot me a PM and I can send you some of those delrin washers - grattis of course. As far as the Loc-Tite - it's a blue liquid that comes in a small tube or plastic bottle and can be found in the adhesive section at any hardware store for a couple bucks and is a handy thing to have around the house anyhow. Generally it's used as a sort of "glue" to keep nuts and bolts from coming un-threaded from each other. There's a semi-permanent and a permanent type. You want the semi-permanent one which is usually blue in color. When I get a minute in the next couple days I could post a little drawing showing where to put the drop of Loc-Tite for those out there who are not particularly mechanically inclined. If you are in the So-Cal area and we can get together I can take care of it for you myself. Sorry about this guys. Like everything else in life it's an ongoing process but I'm trying to take care of it and continue to improve the product.

Sat Apr 25, 2015 4:55 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Captain Strings wrote:
Sorry about this guys. Like everything else in life it's an ongoing process but I'm trying to take care of it and continue to improve the product.

I appreciate the ongoing refinements. One engineer-type to another.

Sat Apr 25, 2015 5:10 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

Captain Strings wrote:
Ok that issue comes from the fact that the two 7/8" 8-32 machine screws that act as hinges for the arms can come unseated from the main body and actually turn when the arms are folded and unfolded. They were seated quite tight in their countersunk holes during manufacturing and are designed not to do that. The trick is for the arms to turn when necessary but to have enough friction to stay where you leave them. On early versions of the Lap Dawg I used black oxide coated steel washers on either side of the arms and all held together with 8-32 lock nuts - the kind with the delrin insert. So then the nut could be precisely tightened so the arms would stay put but the slick washers would still allow it to move. What happened over time was the oxide would wear off the washers after a while and the ensuing unwanted friction would cause the whole assembly - screw,washers,and lock nut to come unseated and turn in place as one big assembly when the arm was folded or unfolded. Trying to tighten the nut - again just turned the whole assembly in place and failed to fix the underlying issue. It took time for this syndrome to reveal itself to players and for me to become aware of it. The last batch with that problem should be the ones sold up to and including August of 2014 and would probably include the ones sold at FHA in Los Angeles. Since then I have started putting a drop of Loc-Tite under the screw head in the countersunk cavity and then also I've started using delrin washers instead of the black oxide ones which ease the folding/unfolding motion whilst retaining enough friction in the hinging action to make things work as they should and the Loc-Tite keeps the screw/hinge tightly seated. Since doing those 2 things I haven't had any reports of floppy arms. If anyone has older Dawgs or any era Dawgs with that issue,shoot me a PM and I can send you some of those delrin washers - grattis of course. As far as the Loc-Tite - it's a blue liquid that comes in a small tube or plastic bottle and can be found in the adhesive section at any hardware store for a couple bucks and is a handy thing to have around the house anyhow. Generally it's used as a sort of "glue" to keep nuts and bolts from coming un-threaded from each other. There's a semi-permanent and a permanent type. You want the semi-permanent one which is usually blue in color. When I get a minute in the next couple days I could post a little drawing showing where to put the drop of Loc-Tite for those out there who are not particularly mechanically inclined. If you are in the So-Cal area and we can get together I can take care of it for you myself. Sorry about this guys. Like everything else in life it's an ongoing process but I'm trying to take care of it and continue to improve the product.

Having just ordered one for my railboard I appreciate the honesty and the atention given to the costumers... Thanks Captain Strings :)

All Links:
https://ampl.ink/dNLw4

Sat Apr 25, 2015 6:13 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

I will keep an eye out for the problem, considering that my invoice is dated August 18. Thanks, Mike (and Randy).

Sat Apr 25, 2015 7:16 pm