It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:21 am

Alternative to belt-hook for those about to rock 
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Post Re: Alternative to belt-hook for those about to rock
greg wrote:
Don Schiff uses a strap on his Grand Stick...

and Tony Levin rocks... belt hook and all...

Where on the stick is Don's strap attached, Greg? Just a garden variety strap?

Kev

-- Mikhail Bakunin

Sun May 03, 2015 4:35 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Hey K...
the portion you see in my drawing on the swivel plate is a hard molded plate in itself. the guitar strap would hook onto the small dots on each side of the hard pate. a screw in the middle of that plate would adjust tension to keep the stick in position.

cheers,
kev

Sun May 03, 2015 6:30 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Contributor
Contributor

I've never gotten on with the belt clip at all. The pivot point just wants to be up by my navel....and let's just say I've got too much going on there for that to be comfortable at all. After MANY various attempts I'm pretty happy with this Strap Adaptor I've got now.

The mount is a standard camera tripod clip. It's mounted to this wooden boomerang I made which had a little wood pedestal to get the angle of the fretboard right for my hands. The mounting plate is mounted to the back of my stick via a wood piece I set up so that no new screw holes had to be drilled....so the original belt clip could be put back on without issue.

I particularly like how the Stick sits vertical with no hands on it when all this is on me via a wide guitar strap. I even took off the shoulder strap as it just wasn't needed and made putting the whole thing on cumbersome.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Graphite 10 String Grand/ PASV-4 #5895

Sun May 03, 2015 6:49 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Don, thats just about what ive been dreaming of but dont you find the stick wants to nose dive due to the fact that the system is below the center of gravity?

cheers,
kev

Sun May 03, 2015 7:02 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Contributor
Contributor

Not at all. It sits perfectly balanced standing or sitting. I had a similar set up on a SG12 I had for a while. It balanced the same but the position of the belt clip mount holes was slightly different....as Emmett has the balance point(s) figured out perfectly for where the belt clips are mounted. So all credit to his design....I just used the same holes. The boomerang is big enough however that it does act as a bit of a "tripod" to support the weight. I have a smaller version that worked on the SG12 but the 10 String grand wants to fall back against the shoulder with that smaller footprint. I'll take a picture of it on me tomorrow to show it in the playing position.

Graphite 10 String Grand/ PASV-4 #5895

Sun May 03, 2015 7:17 pm
Master Contributor
Master Contributor

Good ideas all. Some variation of the strap & boomerang brace seems promising if the instrument can be made to hang in a stable playable position with respect to the CG and that's still adjustable enough to suit various physiques and playing angles from player to player. I personally haven't had the time or energy to pursue the drawing you sent me a while back Kev - altho I'd love to whip something up and take it far enough to see if it's really feasible. I struggled thru decades of trying to impress chicks while sitting behind a pedal steel and of course many of them had no idea I was even playing a musical instrument. On one occasion in Hollywood in the 80s a strikingly beautiful woman was standing right in front of the bandstand staring at me for a couple sets and I was kinda playing hot licks in her direction and winking at her thinking this could get interesting. While I was changing a string during intermission she came up to the guitar player standing at the bar,pointed up at me on stage and said "That guy in the wheelchair is really good". So at least the Stick looks at least vaguely like a musical instrument. When it comes to things like that tho I've found that the ones who are cerebral and intelligent enough to figure out and be rightly fascinated by what's really going on are the ones you're gonna prefer later on anyhow.

Sun May 03, 2015 9:36 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

Thanks for posting those pics Don, that's impressive. Great to see so many options for Stick players. I also really like Kevin's idea - Kev, I requested Manny move the thread to Equipment.

Mon May 04, 2015 8:15 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

can't figure out how you put that on..

#7159, Grand Railboard,Plum,
RMR tuning, MIDI melody.
Manufactured Dec. 2018

#2001,10 strings Shedua, MR tuning
Stickup, Fretrails
Manufactured March 2002

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqqNYL ... JdyVB5aBZQ

Thu Nov 17, 2016 3:52 am
Site Donor
Site Donor

Hopefully this question is somewhat on-topic for this thread:

I've noticed a couple of people utilizing what seem to be custom-made Stick mounts for vertical mic stands. I've done some searches in the forum, but can't seem to find any info about them. Has anyone posted a tutorial on building one or who could be enlisted to make one?

Gene, I think you use something like that, right?

Padauk 10 String #4951
DBM Tuning

Sat Nov 19, 2016 12:10 am
Contributor
Contributor

I took a Fender guitar strap, and a button from the head strap tie, to make a loose 2 inch belt. I just put the button between the two ends. I can adjust it to where I want it, which is about 2 inches lower than my regular belt.

#6877 Rosewood, 12 String Grand, PASV-4, turquoise linear inlays and Pearl Gray tuners, tuned in Mirrored 4ths

Sat Nov 19, 2016 4:34 pm