It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:27 am

POD X3 Live... 
Contributor
Contributor

Post Re: POD X3 Live...Trouble in River City
robmartino wrote:
I may be getting a hold of an X3 Live soon, if at least to evaluate it for a while. At some point I may try some experiments with a higher than 1 Mohm impedance preamp before effects devices

I love this little "impedance matching circuit" that I talked about in this thread...

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=202

You can't even see it from the front and it definitely improves sound on my system and does so very quietly. It also seemed to bring a greater sense of "presence" if that is the right word.

Here are two pics of how I use it. I love it.
Attachment:
apiamp.jpg
Attachment:
piamp.jpg

The Planet Waves cord is just plugged in to a TRS jack on the upper side thus supporting the weight (what little there is) of the unit. You may notice I have a black shoe string holding it there also for when I unplug the cord but that is really unnecessary.

I may sometime coming up ask you for an online video conferencing style lesson (paid) with a focus on the tasteful use of effects if you would be open for that. It will be a little further down the road though because I am really focused now on technique and general musical development.

Talk to you soon,

Curtis

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sat Feb 23, 2008 10:16 am
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post Re: POD X3 Live...
Hi Curtis,

Interesting, so with the PASV-4, you notice a definite difference running the Stick straight into the POD X3 and having the impedance matching circuit in between?

Sure, we can talk about effects down the line. Ideally it would be better if we met at a seminar sometime, as it's easier to go through things like that in person I think. There are still some things I'd like to learn from Greg in that regard... Ether Ore in particular is a fascinating look at how to use effects in a creative way.

Rosewood Grand Stick #7025 - Mirrored 4ths 5+7
Paduak Grand Stick #5197 - Mirrored 4ths 6+6

Sat Feb 23, 2008 10:20 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Contributor
Contributor

Post Re: POD X3 Live...
robmartino wrote:
Hi Curtis,

Interesting, so with the PASV-4, you notice a definite difference running the Stick straight into the POD X3 and having the impedance matching circuit in between?

...Ether Ore in particular is a fascinating look at how to use effects in a creative way.

The difference was huge between plugging direct into the KC550 and using the circuit in between using the Stickup. I haven't done a comparison with the PodX3 but I would imagine it would affect it to a lesser degree. The KC550 is probably around 500K Ohm and the PodX3 I believe is around 1 M Ohm. With the circuit being at 3 M Ohm I would imagine the difference is more subtle considering it is a 500% increase vs. 200% and that is assuming 3 M Ohm is optimum and not down around 2.2 M Ohm like the StepAbout.

So, far I have only tested with the Stickup but I will be installing my PASV4 next week and will run some comparables. Perhaps I can even record them so you could hear if you consider the difference worthy or even existent.

On Ether Ore, I should probably buy it. I don't currently own that one.

I have been considering going to another seminar coming up. I have even considered the Vancouver event.

I'll be back in touch on this note.

-Curtis

Sat Feb 23, 2008 1:13 pm