It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:04 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 POD X3 Live... 
Contributor
Contributor

Post Re: POD X3 Live...Further musings on Unit #2...
...while it's not the cat's pajamas it's definitely the meow. Meaning it doesn't do EVERYTHING I want it but it sounds great doing what it does. And believe me, until I need it for specific applications, say in performance w/ other musicians, I'll be more than occupied with tweaking wonderful combinations of melody/bass presets. But at least I got a couple of REALLY GOOD presets to just turn on and PLAY with. (Let it be noted it will be awhile before playing w/ others.) AND DON'T RUN WITH SCISSORS!

Marty, very happy

Mon Feb 04, 2008 12:34 am
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post Re: POD X3 Live...
I've been comparing specs of devices like the Roland VG-99, Pod X3 and Boss GT-10.

It's too bad the X3 doesn't seem to allow re-amping via USB like the VG-99 (and presumably the GT-10), where you can record the dry signal and then route the track back through the POD. But the POD has the two instrument inputs while the GT-10 does not (the loop input on the GT-10 wouldn't be the correct impedance unless you have an ACTV-2).

As far as the Stick is concerned, the Pod X3 seems like it would be a nice simple live solution, it's just lacking a bit in the recording department.

Rosewood Grand Stick #7025 - Mirrored 4ths 5+7
Paduak Grand Stick #5197 - Mirrored 4ths 6+6

Thu Feb 07, 2008 9:46 am
Profile My Photo Gallery

Quote:
As far as the Stick is concerned, the Pod X3 seems like it would be a nice simple live solution, it's just lacking a bit in the recording department.

How do you mean? When the X3 came out I thought this thing would be the s%*t. I have read some less than stellar review about it for folks on this forum and in other places. I have an PODxt and have been very happy with in my humble little studio. I have kind of given up on the X3 since I took notice of the VG99. (at twice the price) What makes the VG99 better in a recording situation?

http://www.myspace.com/mychapmansticks
http://www.myspace.com/artistgodanddoctor

Thu Feb 07, 2008 6:02 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

scott wrote:
How do you mean? When the X3 came out I thought this thing would be the s%*t. I have read some less than stellar review about it for folks on this forum and in other places. I have an PODxt and have been very happy with in my humble little studio. I have kind of given up on the X3 since I took notice of the VG99. (at twice the price) What makes the VG99 better in a recording situation?

Hi Scott, I was getting at the lack of re-amp functionality in the X3, which apparently was included in the POD XT but for some reason they removed from the X3 (the ability to not just record different versions of the signal but route it back to the POD via USB). The VG-99 allows you to grab the recorded signal from different points in the signal chain, as well as route it back through the processor, so you could tweak the effects or change the preset later.

One thing that would be really cool is if the VG-99 would allow one to record the dry signal of each string and then re-amp or apply plug-ins to each one, but they didn't go that far.

Thu Feb 07, 2008 6:13 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Contributor
Contributor

Rob,

I don't know if this Pod X3 re-amping work-around is quite what you are looking for but you may find it interesting.

http://benvesco.com/tonemonster/pod-x3-live-tips-and-tricks/2008/pod-x3-tips-and-tricks-reamping-setup/

Also, on the Line6 forum there is at least potential of USB reamping being added by upgrade or plug-in.

I should be practicing,

Curtis

Mon Feb 18, 2008 11:32 pm
Contributor
Contributor

Post Re: POD X3 Live...Trouble in River City
I hope lot's of folks start using this PODX3 which I use after my little Impedance Optimization PreAmp that is actually attached to the back of my Stick and my cord is plugged into making kind of an active StickUp/PASV4 depending on which one I am using.

Speaking of PASV4, where are you Rob Martino?

I actually have this no longer secret hope that Rob will buy one of these and start using it because I would love to get my hands on his x3m file after he has a chance to tweak it out a bit.

Regardless, I have download mulitple files of others (non-stickist) and am playing with the settings myself and selecting favorites. I think the Monkey is pretty cool and I guess GearBox will be even better when it comes out soon.

Those of us using it will have to start swapping files.

I also love how quiet the X3 is. I am quite happy even if most of the time I just use a bit of reverb. I think I'll play more once I switch to my PASV4 sometime next week. For now I've had to say, "Ok, back to real practice."

-Curtis

Thu Feb 21, 2008 6:12 pm

Quote:
Rob,

I don't know if this Pod X3 re-amping work-around is quite what you are looking for but you may find it interesting.

http://benvesco.com/tonemonster/pod-x3- ... ing-setup/

Also, on the Line6 forum there is at least potential of USB reamping being added by upgrade or plug-in.

I should be practicing,

Curtis

Curtis,
Thanks for the link. That Benvesoc sit has some great basic information. If you're have a home recording studio, this is a great source of information.
What's the word on a PC editor for the X3, has anyone heard?

http://www.myspace.com/mychapmansticks
http://www.myspace.com/artistgodanddoctor

Sat Feb 23, 2008 6:45 am
Contributor
Contributor

scott wrote:
Quote:
Rob,

http://benvesco.com/tonemonster/pod-x3- ... ing-setup/

I should be practicing,

Curtis

Curtis,
Thanks for the link. That Benvesoc sit has some great basic information. If you're have a home recording studio, this is a great source of information.
What's the word on a PC editor for the X3, has anyone heard?

GearBox will be released Free to all PodX3 owners and a firmware update that further expands functionality it supposed to be released as of Feb. 29th.

This will allow full scale PC editing and extras that have been requested.

-Curtis

Sat Feb 23, 2008 7:27 am
Contributor
Contributor

Oh man, I don't know what all that means, but I sure hope it includes being able to reposition the Wah in the effects chain. That is such a major fuckup it's unconscionable.

Marty

Sat Feb 23, 2008 9:31 am
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post Re: POD X3 Live...Trouble in River City
CurtisAbbott wrote:
I hope lot's of folks start using this PODX3 which I use after my little Impedance Optimization PreAmp that is actually attached to the back of my Stick and my cord is plugged into making kind of an active StickUp/PASV4 depending on which one I am using.

Speaking of PASV4, where are you Rob Martino?

I actually have this no longer secret hope that Rob will buy one of these and start using it because I would love to get my hands on his x3m file after he has a chance to tweak it out a bit.

I may be getting a hold of an X3 Live soon, if at least to evaluate it for a while. At some point I may try some experiments with a higher than 1 Mohm impedance preamp before effects devices but right now I just use the 1 Mohm inputs on my Acoustic Image or Boss multi-effects and don't notice any signal problems (the PASV-4 generates higher voltage than both the Stickup and ACTV-2, but I would be curious to more closely investigate this impedance issue).

I'm going to start bringing my 6 space rack and pedalboard again to gigs, I organized it a bit and realized it's not as heavy as I thought (maybe 25-30 pounds... it seemed a lot harder to move right after I had major abdominal surgery!). But it would be interesting to check out the X3, as it would work great for gigs where there are already monitors and PA, I wouldn't need the Acoustic Image at all.... just plug into the main board and go. It would still be a bit of a compromise since I depend a lot on parallel chain effects (i.e. two processors per side of the Stick), but I've quickly discovered that a lot of the little subtleties I programmed into my effects patches don't usually translate to live situations, because of less than optimal sound equipment or room conditions.

I'm still considering a pair of VG-99s, or if I want to wait on the hex processing, try out a Boss GT-10 and Boss GT-10TB pair. That would drop my gear down to two pedalboards, with each able to do the dual chain thing (as well as cool things like playing dynamics controlling which channel the signal goes through).

Sat Feb 23, 2008 9:41 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next