It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:32 am

Want to buy: Used NS Stick 
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post Want to buy: Used NS Stick
Hi all, I am a new member but I have been lurking for a few months so please be gentle. :-)

I have a vintage Chapman Stick that I have had for, say, six months, that I just really cannot get into. I am primarily a bass player (but can play guitar and keys as well) and am thinking about selling my Chapman Stick for an NS Stick.

Why, you ask? Because I see me using the 'stick more for some tasty basslines rather than a full-function instrument (if that makes any sense..)

So I am seriously thinking about basically swapping my Chapman Stick for the NS Stick.

I have been watching eBay but would rather go direct to a buyer/seller over boards like this.

Anyone selling a NS Stick?

Thanks in advance....

Regards,

Steve
Metro-Detroit, Michigan

Sun Jan 11, 2009 9:17 am
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post Re: Want to buy: Used NS Stick
Hi Steve, there was an NS in the last few weeks and before that there was on on eBay.
I got mine from eBay so it is very possible. The NS is indeed a special instrument but some people just don't bond with it so I am sure if you hold out another one will come up. BUT :? and this is my personal opinion; being willing to "stick"with the inverted bass strings is more than worth the time because of the ergonomics that having the bass string in the middle of the instrument reveals. Also the extra two strings opens the pallet melodically.

On the other hand any casual observation of Tony Levin's playing style makes it obvious that he rarely ventures into the melodic tundra. Also checking out Greg's videos you will find
some tasty, no, down right smokin :twisted: two handed bass lines.

And probably not last and certainly not least you could restring your Stick so the strings
descend effectively making it into a SB "Stick Bass" -10 :?
You could try everything.
^j^
. ~

http://jrjwhatifthepaintingshadsongs.tumblr.com/

Sun Jan 11, 2009 1:21 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

Thanks JRJ for such a thoughtful, informative reply.

I think a big part of me not "adapting" to the stick is that I am 6'1" and around 235, so it isn't comfortable to hold. I did modify the strap so it does ride higher; however, I think the Chapman Stick is really better suited for smaller people (no disrespect intended..)

I do understand the fingering; however, if I understand the NS Stick tuning correctly it is tuned like a bass guitar. Although I have never played one it just seems like it is "more me".

Besides I have seen Gary Jibilian play his a few times (while he was still in Detroit) and damn he looked cool! :-)

Regards.

Sun Jan 11, 2009 4:11 pm
Contributor
Contributor

Steve,

I have sent you a PM.

Take care,

Paul

Sun Jan 11, 2009 5:27 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

forceman wrote:
I think a big part of me not "adapting" to the stick is that I am 6'1" and around 235, so it isn't comfortable to hold. I did modify the strap so it does ride higher; however, I think the Chapman Stick is really better suited for smaller people (no disrespect intended..)

I have to disagree on this point! I'm almost 6' 1" myself and once I got my Stick high enough it works great. Are you using a second belt and an adjustable belt hook? I have my belt hook adjusted all the way up and I have a lap stand that I made that really gets my Stick high enough. I also have a good padded nylon belt for when I stand up. There really is no reason a Stick shouldn't work for you ergonomically. Have you ever seen Bob Culbertson play? He's taller than we are!

Before you get rid of it I would suggest that you have a skype session with Greg and have him do a long distance sizing for you. He can spot problems with the position of a Stick on a person instantly and offer correction suggestions.

-Eric

Rosewood SG12 #5966, Mirrored 4ths
Twitter: @ejknapp
http://ericjknapp.com

Sun Jan 11, 2009 8:16 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Contributor
Contributor

forceman wrote:

Something is not right in your setup. I am 6' 1" and a half, and my drivers license says 230 (it may be about 14 pounds off, in the wrong direction ;) ) Okay, I am 243. I have never had a problem playing the
Stick. I primarily play sitting down due to arthritis in the back, but that shouldn't matter, as long as everything is setup correctly. I will second what Eric said, in that the Stick needs to be higher up than one would think (nut even with eyes). Using a lapbar, with the belt hook set as far up as it will go, I have never had a problem, and most of my excess weight is in my belly.

Jim

10 String Paduak, PASV4, MR, #4858
12 String Bamboo, Stickup, MR, #5550

Tue Jan 13, 2009 4:30 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

Thanks everyone for your advice--it is deeply appreciated.

I have tried another belt higher on my stomach and that does seem to help.

I think though the NS Stick is a better instrument for me to be playing, all things considered.

Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:06 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

forceman wrote:
Thanks everyone for your advice--it is deeply appreciated.

I have tried another belt higher on my stomach and that does seem to help.

I think though the NS Stick is a better instrument for me to be playing, all things considered.

Did you try adjusting the belthook so that the instrument is higher up relative to the belthook?

That can really help.

Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:09 am
Profile My Photo Gallery

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0312752635

Sat Jan 31, 2009 1:55 pm
Site Admin

The above auction embedded:

Mon Feb 02, 2009 2:05 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery