It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:07 am

**Reconsidered, please delete** 
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post **Reconsidered, please delete**

Alright everybody, my apologies for the apparent wishy-washy-ness. My sentimentality took hold of me last night and I've reconsidered the idea of this trade.

Mods, please delete this thread to prevent any confusion. Thanks!

Padauk 10 String #4951
DBM Tuning

Last edited by TappistRT on Tue Feb 01, 2022 2:17 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Sat Jan 29, 2022 11:57 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post Re: Trade/Feeler: Wood Stick for Railboard
Are you sure it's a Padauk wood? For me, it's more like Tarara or Teak

Sun Jan 30, 2022 3:17 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

mahabresq wrote:

Yup, it’s definitely padauk. I have the invoice to prove it.

Here's a blurb from the Wood Database that explains the color variations depending upon the wood's age.

Quote:
Color/Appearance: Heartwood color can vary, ranging from a pale pinkish orange to a deep brownish red. Most pieces tend to start reddish orange when freshly cut, darkening substantially over time to a reddish/purplish brown (some lighter pieces age to a grayish brown). See the article Preventing Color Changes in Exotic Woods for more information.

https://www.wood-database.com/african-padauk/

So with that information, the assumption I make is that my Stick has varying ages of paduak laminated together. I haven't seen any other Stick quite like this one. Emmett did a superb job for the aesthetics imo. :D

Padauk 10 String #4951
DBM Tuning

Sun Jan 30, 2022 1:42 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

TappistRT wrote:
mahabresq wrote:

Here's a blurb from the Wood Database that explains the color variations depending upon the wood's age.

Quote:
Color/Appearance: Heartwood color can vary, ranging from a pale pinkish orange to a deep brownish red. Most pieces tend to start reddish orange when freshly cut, darkening substantially over time to a reddish/purplish brown (some lighter pieces age to a grayish brown). See the article Preventing Color Changes in Exotic Woods for more information.

So with that information, the assumption I make is that my Stick has varying ages of paduak laminated together. I haven't seen any other Stick quite like this one. Emmett did a superb job for the aesthetics imo. :D

I will not argue with invoice ;). The middle stripe actually looks like a Padouk. I haven't seen a Padouk like on the sides yet.

Anyway, good luck in trade.

Sun Jan 30, 2022 2:32 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

mahabresq wrote:
TappistRT wrote:
mahabresq wrote:

Quote:

I will not argue with invoice ;). The middle stripe actually looks like a Padouk. I haven't seen a Padouk like on the sides yet.

Anyway, good luck in trade.

Thanks!

Admittedly, I was also a little puzzled when I first got it. I did some research and found out there are quite a few color variations to the wood.

Padauk 10 String #4951
DBM Tuning

Sun Jan 30, 2022 2:40 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

personally, Id stay with the WARMTH of the wood... I tried to like the Railboard, just found it to be cold...

Mon Jan 31, 2022 8:30 am
Site Donor
Site Donor

rclere wrote:
personally, Id stay with the WARMTH of the wood... I tried to like the Railboard, just found it to be cold...

Literally cold under your fingers or figuratively cold in tonality?

Padauk 10 String #4951
DBM Tuning

Mon Jan 31, 2022 9:49 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

rclere wrote:

I experienced the same vibe. Traded in after a year

Mon Jan 31, 2022 12:14 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery

Quote:
rclere wrote:

Literally cold under your fingers or figuratively cold in tonality?

I would not call the tone of the Railboard cold at all. If anything, it seems to want to gravitate to a very warm bluesy sound, and has a really beautiful sustain. This is with the original Villex pickups installed. It is just hard to get closer to the acoustic twang sound I hear on some of the other sticks, but that is a sound I would not describe as necessarily warm all the time.

I agree that there would an aesthetic beauty to playing a wooden stick that I think about sometimes, which makes you offer tempting. The grass is always greener, right?
The trade off for me is the Railboard has a nigh indestructible quality to it that I deeply appreciate. I feel I could strap it to my back and ride into a post apocalypse Mad Max battle and it would still play.
I still wonder why you are interested in making such a trade. It's a beautiful instrument you have there.

Railboard #7205 MR

Mon Jan 31, 2022 12:45 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

no the tone is great!!! I just don't like the feel of metal

Mon Jan 31, 2022 4:09 pm