It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:45 am

Tom Hamilton's Chapman Stick for sale 
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Re: Tom Hamilton's Chapman Stick for sale
IMO.. Stick is a creature of its own.a lot of the pros approached it like no problem (cool man),yeah right.. Zawanul,Daryle Jones,dropped it like a hot potato to name a few. Emmett said Stevie Wonder came by his house to try one out and buy one ,he left and never came back.Stevie Wonder can make music out of a broom.thats way the stick is shunned in so many circles.it takes patience, time and tenacity. so I don't stray off to far on the post, Hamilton was no exception.$1500. then send it to Grace (who is a expert) for a overhaul. might be a long thread,IMO.

Wed Mar 22, 2023 8:04 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Contributor
Contributor

grozoeil wrote:
I think Tom Hamilton played the stick on a tune or two on an Aerosmith recording (have to find which one).

EDIT : on the Nine Lives album apparently.
Well, I have to listen to the whole album to find out on which song he played a note or two on the Stick. :roll: :roll: :roll:

Yep, I confirm it: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nine_Live ... mith_album)#Personnel

I remember an old interview where Tom Hamilton said he used the Chapman Stick in a strange way:
Attachment:
IMG_20230322_161326[1].jpg

I'm translating the beginning:
Quote:
In was on "Kiss Your Pass Goodbye" but I didn't play it the normal way. I took a drum stick, added Gaffa Tape around, and use it to hit the strings. Actually Steven Tyler striked the strings while I fretted notes with my left hand.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

#5162 10-string Maple Stick
#5743 Tinted Salmon Light Bamboo Grand Stick

AFSTG (Association Française du Stick et de la Tape Guitare)

Wed Mar 22, 2023 8:27 am
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

It's confirmed on this page as well.
https://musicalphabet.com/tag/kiss-your-past-goodbye/

#404 Stick - (1978) Angico hard wood.
#6460 Railboard - Black with glow inlays.

Wed Mar 22, 2023 9:20 am
Site Donor
Site Donor

Yeah, I saw that sad, sad bass string pushed off to the side :D

The little peg that says Aerosmith on the back of the headstock is oddly enticing, if only I were a bigger fan of Aerosmith.

Wed Mar 22, 2023 12:39 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

earthgene wrote:
Yeah, I saw that sad, sad bass string pushed off to the side :D

The little peg that says Aerosmith on the back of the headstock is oddly enticing, if only I were a bigger fan of Aerosmith.

of all the sticks I have owned or have now never had the signature of Emmett Chapman on the back of the head stock, I guess I took it for granted.

Wed Mar 22, 2023 1:36 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Don't discount what someone might pay who is looking at this through the lense of a "collector". Sounds kind of dumb (yes ... to me as well) but you never know. I was in a band that recorded and sold a one song cassette with a pretty successful rap duo. I've seen those cassettes sell on EBay for as high as $1000usd. At the time you used to be able to download the tune for $0.99 on the internet but the duo's fans considered it a rare release and wanted the artifact that was the cassette with the printed label. Crazy!

Wed Mar 22, 2023 2:12 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery