It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:42 am

[BOUGHT] WTB 10 String Grand 

Post [BOUGHT] WTB 10 String Grand
Beggars can't be choosers, but if the planets could align I would prefer linear inlays, matched reciprocal or classic tuning, bamboo or graphite, and to win the lottery.

And if you're concerned whether or not I am a trustworthy buyer, don't be concerned! I'm a trustworthy buyer. I'm also the source for that statement. A very credible source!

;)

Last edited by ICantTap on Mon Mar 11, 2024 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Mar 10, 2024 6:26 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Re: WTB 10 String Grand
If you order one right from Stick Enterprises, you can customize it to your specifications. The only big downside is that you may have to wait a few years for it to get built. In the meantime you could buy something cheap to practice tapping. I just sold a Ziggy guitar for well under $1,000.

https://stick.com/instruments/tsg/

Sun Mar 10, 2024 6:53 pm

I've already got something I practice tapping on. The current wait time is nearing around 28 months now if I recall. At this point I'm just hoping to stumble upon a used Grand 10 string eventually. To be fair I'm keeping my fingers crossed for the most popular wood type and the two most popular tunings so on the off chance someone is looking to sell chances are I'll be quite happy to take it off their hands.

Sun Mar 10, 2024 7:12 pm
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

There can be a lot of frustration for people who learn about the Chapman Stick and then come to the realization that these instruments are rare and the waiting times for new ones are very long.

Finding a used Stick can be difficult. It takes some creative search techniques to find where the seller has advertised. I use Google Images, ebay, kijiji, etc. to search for products that I'm looking for.

Here's an example that I found today using Google Images.
https://www.vintageandrare.com/showroom ... -Wood-3389

We all get spoiled by companies like Amazon. (Point and click and the product shows up at the door within a few days) DigiKey is the same way for electronic parts. I click on what I want and the very next day, the product has arrived on my door step for an $8 flat fee from the USA to Canada. These are amazing services.

I'm currently working on building my own 5-axis gantry style CNC milling machine as a retirement project. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ovc9bfeXS1A

This will allow me to make all sorts of products such as my own version of a Chapman Stick. I had previously bought the main components to build a Stick and there's a large piece of PurpleHeart wood staring at me every time that I go into my work shop. 8-)

#404 Stick - (1978) Angico hard wood.
#6460 Railboard - Black with glow inlays.

Sun Mar 10, 2024 8:35 pm

this one has a truss rod, it can't be from 1976 as seller claims - or am i wrong? Most of the Sticks one finds for sale are from the wrong side of the pond for us Europeans so it's interesting to see one in Sweden ...

Sun Mar 10, 2024 11:32 pm
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

I suspect that it has been back to Stick Enterprises at some point for refurbishing. The added truss rod can only be adjusted at one end. The photo shows it fixed at the opposite end.
ClausRogge wrote:
this one has a truss rod, it can't be from 1976 as seller claims - or am i wrong? Most of the Sticks one finds for sale are from the wrong side of the pond for us Europeans so it's interesting to see one in Sweden ...

#404 Stick - (1978) Angico hard wood.
#6460 Railboard - Black with glow inlays.

Mon Mar 11, 2024 1:05 am

WerkSpace wrote:
The added truss rod can only be adjusted at one end. The photo shows it fixed at the opposite end.

Oops. Mine looks just like that. I'm confused ... is it not a proper TR then? On a guitar
there's also only one end you can adjust

Mon Mar 11, 2024 1:43 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

ClausRogge wrote:
Mine looks just like that. I'm confused ... is it not a proper TR then?

Yes 'proper', just not a lastest style "two way adjustable one" (which didn't come in till 2009).

I agree with Werkspace that this does look like a 1976 Stick, however a 1976 Stick that's had an adjustable truss rod added (most likely by refurb at SE?).

The Stick has the appropriate squared off top of the headstick, screws at both 'nut' & bridge, & the bridge ends of the strings just sit in slots cut in the wood of the beam.

Bamboo Grand 12 2024 #7472 Stickup Low Xtnd Classic Melody (Outer 5ths)
Bamboo Grand 12 2009 #5826 PASV4 Low Xtnd Classic Melody (Outer 5ths)
Graphite 10 2009 #5862 PASV4 Classic

Mon Mar 11, 2024 2:51 am

OK now I understand. Thanks for clearing things up DavidWS.

Mon Mar 11, 2024 12:49 pm

Post Re: [BOUGHT] WTB 10 String Grand
It is with thanks to a kind poster here who alerted me to a Reverb listing that I am now (potentially?) a proud owner of a Grand 10 string, which will be my first Stick and effectively my second instrument ever. I'm so excited!

Mon Mar 11, 2024 1:00 pm