It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:17 am

12-String Grand for sale... 
Contributor
Contributor

Post 12-String Grand for sale...
Well, it is official...

Here it was a mere potential sale... viewtopic.php?f=5&t=169
but the decision is made. (I love that contrast of Black and Light Bamboo w/ Jade Fret Markings)

I am selling my 12-String Grand Purple Heart #1447. Quite frankly had I not put in an order for a brand new Light Bamboo back in November of 2006 (which I received several weeks ago) I would be keeping this one. I bought it off ebay in January of 2007 and have put about 300 hours of practice in on it since then. (We've become a bit attached) I love the Stickup sound with which it is equipped. When it was first presented to me it was said to have had the best action of all 10 or 12 Stick's the previous owner had played. Well, I obviously can not verify that but I will say that the action is as good as the new one I have just received and actually a little lower up toward the pickup.

I love how well this Stick stays in tune and I very rarely adjust the truss rod though perhaps others may be more picky or more perceptive of micro variances than I. It has Fret Rods and the 34 inch scale. It is currently strung with Classic strings and tuning though when I received it it was tuned Matched Reciprocal. I have never messed with the intonation at all but to me and others it sounds great with either tuning. I have a brand new set of MR strings that go with the instrument and if desired they can be installed before shipment. Otherwise the buyer could decide for themselves later which tuning they prefer. All strings are Light Gauge.

It comes with a standard Stick strap, a full hard shell flight case with standard issue adjustment tools, an extra tuning key/machine (in case you ever damage one and need a replacement), Stickup pickup, a Stereo cord (if requested), brand new set of Matched Reciprocal strings, and "The StickBook" instructional volume for the Matched Reciprocal tuning.

I will provide pictures upon request. Call me if your interested or have any questions.

-Curtis 417-890-6133

P.S. I almost forgot to tell you how much money I need for it. I am looking to clear the $2300 that I paid for it with the promise that it won't be closeted. These Sticks are made to be played.

Wed Feb 13, 2008 10:50 pm

Post Re: 12-String Grand for sale...
Curtis,

would you ship to the UK?

I'm a wannabe stickist, name's on the list for a ten string bamboo but that won't materialise until the end of this year/beginning of next so I'm actively looking at other options.

Thanks

Ed

Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:14 am
Contributor
Contributor

If you buy a 12-string to hold you over till you get your 10-string you may find it tough to let go of those 2 extra strings. Of course you can decide to alter your order up until the production run is starting.

Shipping is on you so unless there is some reason I am unaware of I sure don't see why it could not be shipped to the UK. I would just do a little due diligence as to any potential challenges. I never have understood why some folks say they won't ship to other countries.

Does anyone out there know any good reason not to ship overseas? Obviously Stick Enterprises does.

-Curtis

Thu Feb 14, 2008 9:42 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

CurtisAbbott wrote:
If you buy a 12-string to hold you over till you get your 10-string you may find it tough to let go of those 2 extra strings. Of course you can decide to alter your order up until the production run is starting.

I agree here! Lots of Stick players use a 10-string, lots use a 12-string. I know that many players started with a 10-string and then decided to move on to a 12-string. That's me, actually. But, I haven't heard of too many that have gone from 12 to 10. I'm sure they are out there, I just haven't heard about them. So, if there are any who have gone from 12 to 10 please correct and enlighten me.

-Eric

Rosewood SG12 #5966, Mirrored 4ths
Twitter: @ejknapp
http://ericjknapp.com

Thu Feb 14, 2008 12:41 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

EricTheGray wrote:
So, if there are any who have gone from 12 to 10 please correct and enlighten me.

Emmett? :twisted:

Thu Feb 14, 2008 12:45 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

digitalkettle wrote:
Emmett? :twisted:

Really? Now I want to hear the full story. Anyone know it? How did the 12-string happen? Who thought of it first? When were the first prototypes made? When did it go into production?

Thanks,

-Eric

Rosewood SG12 #5966, Mirrored 4ths
Twitter: @ejknapp
http://ericjknapp.com

Thu Feb 14, 2008 12:54 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Master Contributor
Master Contributor

Really? Now I want to hear the full story. Anyone know it? How did the 12-string happen? Who thought of it first? When were the first prototypes made? When did it go into production?

Thanks,

-Eric

I can't say that I know the full story, but Emmett seems to favoring the Ten String Grand nowadays. He played a tarara Grand on the Stick Night '99 video, then was later seen playing his 10-string XG for quite a while (probably one of the earlier prototypes). Yet another 10-string he played was the blue XBL prototype.

I believe Emmett first produced the Grand in the early to mid '90s. The zebrawood Grand I own (#669) was obviously a very early Grand, for it had a different Stickup. At the time, Emmett must not have had the 12 polepiece Stickup worked out yet. My module had two rectangular "bar" type pickups. I later replaced it with the current 12-string Stickup.

http://www.heartstringslive.com
http://www.youtube.com/tapper1472

"With one note you can shatter a thousand notes" - Carlos Santana

Fri Feb 15, 2008 9:08 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Contributor
Contributor

There's a timeline on the Stick website.

Marty

Fri Feb 15, 2008 9:30 am

Sorry Curtis - I've been tied up with work for a couple of days and haven't been able to get here.

I've been a bass player for over 30 years (ouch) and at the end of the year stumbled across a YouTube video of Rob Martino playing his "One Cloud" piece. Instantly, my plans to purchase a Ned Steinberger electric upright this year were put on hold and I started obsessing about Sticks!

You're right - I can change the order right up to production start, so that's why I was keen to get in line without too many worries.

I figured that the ten string would be easier to get to grips with at first - I'll have enough to cope with just on a technique basis.

Having said that, my current weapon of choice in the bass field is six string but I still enjoy playing my 4 and five string basses. Also and I'm not sure if this would apply to the Stick, I notice that the choice of bass definitely changes my approach to playing any particular piece of music - there are some songs that the 6 is absolutely not right for.
So it wouldn't necessarily be bad to have 12 string and 10 string instruments, possibly with different pickup arrangements?

Anyway, is it still for sale and do you have any pictures?

I just want to get started as soon as I can!

By the way, what's the bamboo like? :)

thanks

Ed

Sat Feb 16, 2008 4:00 am
Contributor
Contributor

I will PM you.

-Curtis

Sat Feb 16, 2008 1:43 pm