It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 2:34 pm

I am looking for a used SG12 or Alto Stick 
Master Contributor
Master Contributor

Post I am looking for a used SG12 or Alto Stick
I have been thinking recently about purchasing an SG12 or Alto Stick and I thought I would check for a used one before getting in line at SE. I love dealing with them, I just get impatient sometimes(for example when I am awake).

I see that I should have checked here sooner as there were just a few up for grabs. Also anyone with experience with both, impressions on which is preferable to you and why would be nifty and appreciated.

Thanks, Mike

Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:44 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Re: I am looking for a used SG12 or Alto Stick
mike kemp wrote:
I have been thinking recently about purchasing an SG12 or Alto Stick and I thought I would check for a used one before getting in line at SE. I love dealing with them, I just get impatient sometimes(for example when I am awake).

I see that I should have checked here sooner as there were just a few up for grabs. Also anyone with experience with both, impressions on which is preferable to you and why would be nifty and appreciated.

Thanks, Mike

I knicked the Alto that was up for sale. Will get here next week. I play 10-string Stick usually so a 10-string hi register instrument seemed the most logical for me. Easier to go back and forth, that´s how I´ve been thinking.... Without trying one before..... :D

//Jan

-Mobilis in mobil-

Sun Oct 26, 2014 8:31 am
Master Contributor
Master Contributor

Thanks for the input Jan. So far that's 2 votes for the Alto Stick. I would say ordering an Alto would be automatic for me, but I have been regretting not going for a 12 string instrument last time. We'll see... Good luck with your alto and great to have you here once more.

Mike

Sun Oct 26, 2014 10:31 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

mike kemp wrote:
Thanks for the input Jan. So far that's 2 votes for the Alto Stick. I would say ordering an Alto would be automatic for me, but I have been regretting not going for a 12 string instrument last time. We'll see... Good luck with your alto and great to have you here once more.

Mike

Thanks! I´ve gone full circle when it comes to the Stick through the years. Started with a 10-string Stick with Stickup PU and I´m back playing 10-string Stick with Stickup again. Had a Grand Stick for many years but my fingers are just too short. Never felt comfortable and I could not reach across the board. Tried all available PU´s through the years but the PU that sound most Stick-like to me is the Stickup. So 10-string is the thing for me. And to go back and forth smoothly between a regular Stick and a hi pitch baby Stick the Alto is the most logical thing I guess. I would probably blow my brain if I got a SG12 with two extra strings if playing a 10 string regular Stick as my main Stick instrument..... :D But I´m only speculating since I´ve never actually tried an Alto. But it FEELS right! It FEELS logical...... And the Alto I bought has a Stickup installed. I think it will work for me. ;)

Take care and good luck!

//J

-Mobilis in mobil-

Sun Oct 26, 2014 6:02 pm
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Interresting reading your "Stick user bio", Jan! myself I'm right now returning to Sweden with a modded Stickup in my carry-on bag. i assume it will make my Grand sound better related my gorgeous SG12s with PASV4s

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fractal Audio AxeFx-III, 2 x RCF NX-10 SMA, Apollo Twin USB

http://youtube.com/perboysen

Mon Oct 27, 2014 12:40 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Per Boysen wrote:
Interresting reading your "Stick user bio", Jan! myself I'm right now returning to Sweden with a modded Stickup in my carry-on bag. i assume it will make my Grand sound better related my gorgeous SG12s with PASV4s

Great Per! Will be good fun to see (and hear) your Stickup. In what way has it been modded? Just love the simplicity of the Stickup. :)

-Mobilis in mobil-

Mon Oct 27, 2014 3:32 am
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Modded to fit for swapping on a PASV4 adapted Stick. Just two extra holes for mounting

Mon Oct 27, 2014 4:05 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Per Boysen wrote:
Modded to fit for swapping on a PASV4 adapted Stick. Just two extra holes for mounting

Ah! Great thing! Good thinking there, Per!

-Mobilis in mobil-

Mon Oct 27, 2014 4:23 am
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Jan Hellman wrote:
Ah! Great thing! Good thinking there, Per!
Not my idea. Emmett did it.

Mon Oct 27, 2014 5:57 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Ops, I forgot to mention the bottom plate. Check it out below:

Emmett made me a special Stickup modification so I can swap between my PASV-4 and the Stickup. Since the PASV-4's The Block standard is bigger than the Stickup he added a bottom plate to the Stickup and made the holes in that plate match the Block pickup position of mounting screw holes. Very handy!

It took some time and delicate intonation work to get the fine tuning screws just right for each of the twelve strings but now my Grand sounds a lot more inspiring than with the PASV-4, a fantastic sound really! According to my taste the opposite goes for my SG-12: the PASV-4 makes that short scale instrument sound better (of course I tried the Stickup on the SG-12 as well).

Mon Oct 27, 2014 8:31 am
Profile My Photo Gallery