It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:32 am

Looking for a NS Stick 

Post Looking for a NS Stick
Hi,

I don't know if I can post my request on this forum..please inform me if I have to remove/modify my message.
I already play a Grand Stick and now I also need an NS Stick for my work and my studies (Bachelor Of Arts).
If you can add some money on your NS Stick I can accept a trade with my ACG 9 string bass guitar, all details:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/271765866211?ss ... 1586.l2649

I thank you.

All the best,
Giovanni

Mon Mar 02, 2015 6:36 am
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Post Re: Looking for a NS Stick
gioby1 wrote:
Hi,

I don't know if I can post my request on this forum..please inform me if I have to remove/modify my message.
I already play a Grand Stick and now I also need an NS Stick for my work and my studies (Bachelor Of Arts).
If you can add some money on your NS Stick I can accept a trade with my ACG 9 string bass guitar, all details:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/271765866211?ss ... 1586.l2649

I thank you.

All the best,
Giovanni

Good luck finding a used NS Stick and that bass is sick! (I mean that in a good way!) It's too bad the pickup on the 9 string bass doesn't split into bass and melody because you could simply make the neck as straight as possible, lower the action and mute the nut and you'd have a 9 string instrument you could use like an NS Stick. If you play mono all you'd need do is put a mute in the nut, straighten the neck and lower the action and use it as a 9 string tap instrument. May not be MADE for that and you may not be able to hold it upright as much as an NS Stick but I'd bet it would work and you already own the bass. Just food for thought.

http://www.rayrlmusic.com
http://www.myspace.com/raylavigne

Mon Mar 02, 2015 1:36 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery

Hi,
as you can see in the video that I mentioned in my eBay auction I already tap on my 9 string bass guitar.
As you correctly underlined with a very low action (and a correct set-up) the bass can became really closer to a touch instrument (more similar to a Warr Guitar than a NS Stick). So?
On the lower strings the response on tapping is not defined as on a touch instrument, notes are not clear because obviously it was made to be a bass guitar = to have more punch and more bass frequencies.
But thanks for your reply.

Mon Mar 02, 2015 2:07 pm
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

gioby1 wrote:
Hi,
as you can see in the video that I mentioned in my eBay auction I already tap on my 9 string bass guitar.
As you correctly underlined with a very low action (and a correct set-up) the bass can became really closer to a touch instrument (more similar to a Warr Guitar than a NS Stick). So?
On the lower strings the response on tapping is not defined as on a touch instrument, notes are not clear because obviously it was made to be a bass guitar = to have more punch and more bass frequencies.
But thanks for your reply.

I actually didn't see the video, just glanced at the bass photos so i didn't realize you already used it as a tap instrument. That said, if it doesn't do the job it makes sense to get something else. And of course if it sells for what you are asking on e-bay you will be able to afford a new NS Stick if you can't find used. BTW I owned an NS Stick for several years and played it exclusively in a cover rock band as a bass guitar / tap instrument. It's not as good of a dedicated "tap" instrument as a traditional Stick but as a do it all instrument it's still an amazing! Good luck.

http://www.rayrlmusic.com
http://www.myspace.com/raylavigne

Mon Mar 02, 2015 2:47 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

I would never, ever, ever trade that bass for an NS. Not ever.

Kev

-- Mikhail Bakunin

Mon Mar 02, 2015 4:14 pm
Artisan Contributor
Artisan Contributor

Besides what was mentioned above to turn your bass into a tapping instrument (straighten neck and lower strings), you should also put on lighter gauge strings. Then you will be all set.

With regards to the NS/Stick, it is a trade off (and that's ok.) If you want it more like a bass, raise the action. If you want it more for tapping, lower the action. I have mine set for very low action and it can be tapped as well as either of my Sticks. This compromises it for "regular" bass playing, but that is ok by me.

That is a very pretty bass.

Mon Mar 02, 2015 4:26 pm
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Quote:

That thing is a tapping MACHINE. You need to find the sweet spots for the pickup and lower truss.

Wish I could get it in my hands, I'd set that bad boy up for you.

K

-- Mikhail Bakunin

Mon Mar 02, 2015 4:27 pm
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Yep, and light gauge strings.

K

-- Mikhail Bakunin

Mon Mar 02, 2015 4:27 pm

Payment pending for my ACG 9 string...
All what you say is what I thought when I took that bass. And in fact I composed some songs playing in tapping but in studio I discovered that on the lower strings the notes are simply great if you play with traditional finger technique; not the same if you play with two-handed tapping technique: It's a bass, it has (dutifully in quotation marks) "too much punch and bass frequencies"... also electronics (and pickups) are not made for capturing the notes you produce with tapping on the lower strings.
NS / Stick should me allow to play bass and to tap with a much definition on the lower notes...also I'm trying to test a 8 string Warr Guitar (probably it has a sound closer to a traditional bass even if a closer string spacing at the bridge).

Last edited by gioby1 on Sat Mar 07, 2015 12:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Mar 06, 2015 4:58 pm

...and thanks for compliments :)
Alan Cringean is became a friend (I also bought a 5 string after testing that 9 string) and he really builds great instruments.

Fri Mar 06, 2015 5:02 pm