It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:31 am

Truss & Setup 
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

Post Truss & Setup
So following on the heels of the truss adjustment thread in the Equipment section, I have a couple of questions specifically regarding the NS Stick.

I've acquired a beautiful, basically new NSS. It came with a set of strings in Crafty tuning, and seemed to have been set up very well, no buzzing, fretting out, etc. A couple of days ago I changed to a set of straight 4ths strings. So far so good, installation on the NSS is pretty simple. After tuning up, I knew that I needed to make some adjustments, but before I do that I wanted to get some opinions. Yes, I'm a little squeamish about turning that truss rod!

I assume that the procedure is much like what Greg talks about in the Stick setup video in the Sticktech section of the website. I sighted to a light source down the bass side, and to my eye there's a slight arch. However when I look down the melody side it looks straight. I would have expected the opposite considering the tension of the heavier strings.

The action is very low near the nut, and steadily rises all the way down to the bridge. Because of this, none of the notes fret out going toward the bridge, but most of the strings, and especially the bass side, clack and rattle behind the notes I'm playing going back toward the bridge. The damper doesn't seem to fully stop this. I'm also unable to play anything on the first fret as there's just no space at all there.

I think I've described everything as clearly as possible, and my guess is that there are just some minor adjustments needed to get this amazing instrument into rock solid playing condition. But since there's so little info on the NSS, I thought it best to ask some questions before moving forward.

Kris

Tue Oct 27, 2015 6:22 am
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post Re: Truss & Setup
I think we have all been where you are... ;)

The first advise I give is to note what changes you make. For example, if you turn the truss one direction 1/8 or 1/4 turn write it down. Turn the nut or saddle by 1/4 turn and write it down. This way you can always go back.

On the NS it is normal to have the slight arch on the bass side. (I once made the mistake of making a visual adjustment of the truss using the bass side and everything went really bad...) I don't think the slight bow in the bass side is due to tension but because of the amount the bass string actually travels in it's vibration. I know on the Railboard (and probably all standard sticks) has a bow carved right into the frets in the middle where the thick bass strings are.
For me it is too hard to adjust the truss by sight so I do it by feel. If I hear or feel that the notes aren't playing right or I hear some buzz or other sounds I will make a slight truss adjustment and it seems to fix it right up. I can't visually see the difference between before and after... but I do see the slight bow on the bass side and straight on the melody side. It can be that I don't have good lighting but I trust the final playability.

From your descriptions it seems like the overall set up of the instrument is good. I would experiment with the truss first. I would start by making 1/8 turn in one direction. Write down the change. How did that change it? Difference in feel? Clacking still there? No Change?
Turn it another 1/8 turn and see how that feels? Usually by a 1/4 turn you will notice a change but it depends on how much your instrument needs adjusting and you may have to go further.
No change? Getting worse? Go the other way.
Adjust is past what you feel is good then take it back to get a feel of what the truss adjustment really does.

From your description it sounds like the instrument was set up correctly. But it's hard to tell without actually seeing it. I think that once you adjust the truss you will notice a considerable improvement. I'm thinking that loosening your truss will fix the issues you are having.

The 1st fret is the hardest fret to play. (In my opinion :ugeek: ) It's a combination of skill and adjustment which will get the most out of it. You can raise the nut and see how that feels. I slightly raised my nut on my bass strings but I still have to concentrate a little harder when playing that fret to get the note right. Practice playing with your left hand and hit fret 1 through 4 with each finger and work to get the same volume/tone on each fret. (This was on Don Schiff's lessons on the NSStickist.com on NS/Stick Tech)
(a little side note... I tune my NS/Stick down a half note as I was finding there were many notes I wanted to play on the first fret and having some difficulty. I also want to tap the "open" string note. As a bass player I almost never played an open string and need my left hand. Tuning down a half step essentially makes the first fret the "X" fret. I almost wish the NS was made with an X fret and some kind of capo system for "open" tuning.... just my thought.)

DON'T FORGET.... you will probably have to adjust your intonation...

Good Luck!

NS/Stick - Prototype #2
Started 11/24/2012

http://www.GreenElephantStudio.com
Now Selling - MOD DUO, Tech21, Ebtech, KMI, Earasers, IsoAcoustics

Subscribe to the NS/Stick YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/NSSTICK

Tue Oct 27, 2015 8:00 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

Sound advice, thank you Dean for taking the time to help out. As I had mentioned, with the previous string set it seemed to play just fine, so it can't be that far out. I like the idea of writing everything down, because I can imagine if I start adjusting multiple parts I may not be able to easily get back.

I'm also thinking that loosening the truss is the fix. That seems to be what Greg was saying in the Stick truss vid. Once that's set I can adjust the nut and bridge to taste, and then finally set intonation.

I don't remember ever adjusting the truss on either of the Sticks that I owned, so there was definitely a fear factor here, but I'll take the leap tonight and report back. Thanks again Dean, and I hope that this discussion might help others as well.

Kris

Tue Oct 27, 2015 8:37 am
Site Donor
Site Donor

It's funny how we are afraid of the truss.
I used to adjust my own truss when I was playing the bass guitar. So I may be further inclined to do it than others...
There is really nothing to it.

NS/Stick - Prototype #2
Started 11/24/2012

Tue Oct 27, 2015 12:08 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

Just to wrap this up, adjusting the truss rod was a breeze, not nearly as intimidating as I expected. Loosened it a quarter turn and it seemed to take care of the issues I was having. I then adjusted the nut and bridge for all strings. The NS Stick design really makes this easy, kudos to Emmett and Ned. Thanks again Dean...

Kris

Wed Oct 28, 2015 6:33 pm

Kris wrote:
Just to wrap this up, adjusting the truss rod was a breeze, not nearly as intimidating as I expected. Loosened it a quarter turn and it seemed to take care of the issues I was having. I then adjusted the nut and bridge for all strings. The NS Stick design really makes this easy, kudos to Emmett and Ned. Thanks again Dean...

Kris

So let me get this straight....you no longer are afraid to fuss with the truss?

Wed Oct 28, 2015 7:33 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

RussYoung wrote:

So let me get this straight....you no longer are afraid to fuss with the truss?

:lol:

NS/Stick - Prototype #2
Started 11/24/2012

Wed Oct 28, 2015 8:50 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

I've discovered that it's a No Fuss Truss Russ.

Thu Oct 29, 2015 5:36 am

Kris wrote:
I've discovered that it's a No Fuss Truss Russ.

That's a plus.

OK, we can stop now :lol:

Thu Oct 29, 2015 8:14 am

It's a good thing to suss.

Fri Oct 30, 2015 5:57 am