It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:14 pm

New (to me) NS/Stick 

Post Re: New (to me) NS/Stick and Straplok Solution
The Straplok system as installed by my friend and previous owner of my NS Stick.

The Dunlop Straplok is through bolted and sandwiches the extension bar between the Nylock and strap pin.Make sure you get a bolt with a small enough head to fit into the pin and that it is a Phillips type (or Allen,security,etc) as a hex socket type would be impossible to tighten down since you would have to use a socket wrench. I suppose this will work on Schaller and other strap security systems as long as the bolt head sits firmly inside the strap pin so as not the interfere with the locking mechanism.

Notice that the strap pin is oriented so that it faces the player instead of away. So,when you affix the locking mechanism to the strap make sure that it is reversed (on the back side) so that the strap lays correctly against your shoulder. Having thought about why my friend had placed the strap pin facing the player, I realized that affixing it on the opposite side of the extension bar would place the strap pin and strap too close to the neck at about the 9th position,which would get in the way of the player's hands. I suppose you can affix the Straplok onto the bar facing away from you as well, if you wish, in which case the locking mechanism can be attached to the strap's top side.

Nylock nut

Any of the above type of bolts will work..even a slotted type. Just size it right with regards to how much will stick out beyond the Nylock once it wrenched down. Keep in mind also that there is a thread count variance in the bolts and also fine vs coarse (your local hardware store staff should know the difference). This will insure a proper and working fit. Bring the strap pin with you to the hardware store just to make sure the bolt head fits down into the strap pin opening.

Don't use this type..a hex socket head, as you will not be able to get a socket into the strap pin to tighten it down.

Well there ya have it. I hope this helps. Let me know if ya use this strap pin method on your NS/Stick and how it works out.
Maybe I should move this part of the thread over to a NS/Stick Tech thread....

NS Stick #31114 w/GK2 Major 3rd tuning

Stanislav and The Lion
Birdsall/Leõn/Hayes
Strada-Sphere Radio Podcast

Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:46 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Re: New (to me) NS/Stick
Very interesting. I've needed a straplock on my NS/Stick for a couple of years and haven't done anything about it.

Rosewood 10-string, #5989, M4s
Sapphire Railboard, #6763, MR
Wenge-on-Wenge NS/Stick, #170130, Bass 4ths
http://soundcloud.com/stephen-sink-1
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-RDlN ... Ez0hN49_Qg

Mon May 06, 2019 7:05 am
Profile My Photo Gallery

This method works fantastick ;) ! I haven't had to adjust or re-tighten anything since I've had it. and, as far as I know, this is the original Nylock/StrapLock setup that my friend installed back in 2004. Hasn't loosened one tiny bit. On a side note, I have been playing my NS Stick pretty much exclusively for recent gigs. Getting used to the spacing after playing basses for over 30 years has been a challenge, but not much. I just love the tone I'm getting from the NS and the versatility is unmatched by any bass that I own. Not to mention the MIDI setup! Once again, Emmett (along with Mr. Steinberger) has changed my way of approaching my music.

Stanislav and The Lion
Birdsall/Leõn/Hayes

Sun May 12, 2019 6:16 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Master Contributor
Master Contributor

Thanks Juan, for the all-encompassing praise of your NS/Stick. We need to post your "side note" as a quote on our Website "Commentary" page, if you'll allow. It has to do with sound, versatility and above all, inspiration.

Sun May 12, 2019 8:20 pm

I just realized that I had not responded to this post..yes! You may use the aforementioned quote for the Customer Commentary section at SEI site.
Also I recently installed a new set of strings on my NS and WOW!!!!! I thought it sounded amazing before but now it really has opened up! I have no idea how long the previous set of strings had been on there but I was loving the tone nonetheless. Having just now experienced the sound and feel of the new strings I am exceedingly impressed with the tone, clarity and feel. I did a minor truss-rod adjustment and brought everything back to a flat profile. It feels amazing, sounds amazing, and makes me feel amazing. We have rehearsal tomorrow and a gig next weekend..can't wait to hear this in a big room!

Stanislav and The Lion
Birdsall/Leõn/Hayes

Fri Jul 05, 2019 8:19 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

I'm seriously digesting everything which is being presented here in this thread, as I'm finding myself playing a whole lot now - thank God !! - after a very long but necessary break, and I'm finding that the majority of my playing is being done seated.

While I absolutely love my Sticks, I find they are more suited for standing, and even though I have two 8 string Sticks [an SB-8 and an RB-8] being worked on/put together at S.E. both those would be standing instruments as well... so more decisions, more musings on this dreary New England Monday morning....

Anyhow - the NS/Stick has interested me for quite sometime, as I'm a huge fan of Ned Steinberger and own 3 of his earlier creations [L-2, XL-2, XP-2] and I'm finding my self thinking of going the NS/Stick route, which I would use strictly for seated playing, and would string in a very different arrangement which to my credit I am withholding from mentioning here.

There's one on Reverb right now that highly interests me in that it has the graphite neck, and is only a couple of states away from me.....

*But then again, looking at the bridge - I'm not so sure I would be able to tune it as I'd like to, and I'm not so sure on how the headstock works - which appears to be a locking type mechanism - which in theory would make string selection options pretty much wide open.

So, I'll be taking my dog out soon for a nice walk in the forest near by, and perhaps think this over some more....

You see, I have a 12 string Warr Phalanx that I love to play seated, but I'm not going to lie, while it sounds great - it's like playing a table, or an ironing board.... and I just want to go a different route that would be much more practical, and to me - the NS/Stick seems to fit the bill, not too mention that I am on a real 8 string kick as of late..............

Ironwood #285, Classic [flatwounds]
Ironwood #1855, Classic [roundwounds]

SB-8 Padauk #1788, Classic CGDA, Electric Bass EADG
RB-8 Drk Blue w/Black Headstock # 6739, Crafty Tuning

NS Stick Transparent Green w/Moses neck #90120, 8-string Guitar Intervals

Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:30 am