It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:52 am

Review of NS Stick [used] part I 
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

Post Review of NS Stick [used] part I
So, it was with great excitement that earlier today I unpacked the newest member to the Stick Family here, a used transparent green NS Stick with a Moses graphite neck, and upon opening the Anvil case, I knew this was not going to be a disappointment… [*this was the instrument that was recently for sale on Reverb…]

I was astonished at the ease it was to put the strings back to a proper tuning, as it came set up in dual 4ths with the heavy strings down the center – no lie, within 10 minutes I had it back to 8 string Guitar Intervals, and I was astonished at how well this nut and bridge set up works – it is truly the greatest tuning/set up arrangement I have seen to date, and the allen key system is effortless and flawless to use, not to mention very exacting from an adjustment standpoint, and very user friendly.

The locking nut – while at first I was very skeptical about – is brilliant, and the tension and feel of all the strings is dare I say without peer [*thanks to the design of the nut and bridge assemblies…]

The graphite neck feels very very good, and I am certain when coupled with the EMG pickups will sound very close to the L-2/XL-2/XP-2 that I am all too familiar with, and still love to this day.

Playability is astonishing – one thing I did do – which I was told not to in a different thread – but did so anyway, was to lose that rod/arm extension for the upper strap….
*What I did was I unscrewed it – and placed it back on the instrument 180 deg out, so it is now effectively stowed.
*What I did next was using a thin guitar strap – and not a very good one – I sandwiched it between the rod and the body – at the hole closest to the neck, ran down the screw partially, strapped her on to get the strap angle just right, then I tightened the screw – snug – and man, that NS Stick hangs on me just like one of my old Fender Basses !!

I could not believe how well it balanced, felt, and looked [*see pictures…] not to mention feel/comfort while playing.

So, I will eventually get a better strap for this fine instrument, and install it the same exact way as the test strap in the pictures seen here - since for me – this is the only way to go.

The sliding mute – to mute or not - is also a huge means of making this a very very practical and versatile instrument and it works perfectly.

So, I have nothing negative to say – the only thing I did not care for is that extension rod/arm for the strap, but I think that’s just me… and I easily was able to come up with a solution around it that works perfectly for me – and uses all the existing hardware, etc.

Later this week – or next – I will do a proper set up/intonation with my strobe tuner, and verify the pitches etc… for my 8 String Guitar Intervals, which to me is a very new and exciting way to play.
I will then plug her into my small practice amp [Roland Street EX…] and see how she sounds – checking things like sustain, etc… plus I like to do my set ups by ear in addition to what the strobe tuner displays….

Sometime in the Fall or early Winter, I will plug it into my current full range amplification system which has served me well for many many years and really see how she sounds when opened up with a bit of good old loud volume…

I will then write a proper review from the sound standpoint, but as a longtime fan and collector of Ned’s creations of the 1980s, along with Polyjuan’s review - I already know this instrument is going to sound tremendous.

Thank you Ned and Emmett for coming up which such a perfect design, know that it will serve me well for many years to come, as it truly does not get any better than this ………….

*although I might think differently next year when I take delivery of that new RB-8 set up in Crafty tuning which I just sent in a deposit for : ) : ) : )

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Ironwood #285, Classic [flatwounds]
Ironwood #1855, Classic [roundwounds]

SB-8 Padauk #1788, Classic CGDA, Electric Bass EADG
RB-8 Drk Blue w/Black Headstock # 6739, Crafty Tuning

NS Stick Transparent Green w/Moses neck #90120, 8-string Guitar Intervals

Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:57 pm
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

Post Re: Review of NS Stick [used] part I
Hey Big George, nice to see that you're happy with the new stick! I'll have to try one of those one day too.

Big George Waters wrote:
as it came set up in dual 4ths with the heavy strings down the center – no lie

I've very curious about this tuning, I might give it a try on my SB8. Could you tell me exactly how it was tuned?

Support: bitcoin:bc1qedfg9z55ux3tlnf7qnnu3vggv8vant604dasye?message=Donate

http://www.instagram.com/waltschwarzkopf

Thu Sep 26, 2019 1:30 am
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

in Stick language:

G D A E E A D G
8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1

Trust me, it got boring real fast..............

So, it was like electric bass/electric guitar tuning.

I'm just glad the string gauges there allowed me to put it back into 8 String Guitar Intervals, maybe the strings are original....

Thu Sep 26, 2019 8:24 am
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

Walt, the funny thing is I never wanted one.

I was initially turned off about everything it presented - but then one day it came to me why the bridge was designed the way it was, and also the locking nut... which I believe was to increase tension overall.

Either way, I could not possibly be happier.

Too bad I have to go into the plant pretty much every day Mon - Fri for the time being, because I'd love to properly spend time to get to know this prize instrument a whole lot better......

Thu Sep 26, 2019 8:28 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

"Too bad I have to go into the plant pretty much every day Mon - Fri for the time being, because I'd love to properly spend time to get to know this prize instrument a whole lot better......"

If I had the time I would do this.
when I have the time,
I do that.

I do this,
I do that,
I try to find a balance in between.
This that and the other thing.

Thu Sep 26, 2019 9:01 am
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

Big George Waters wrote:
in Stick language:

G D A E E A D G
8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1

Trust me, it got boring real fast..............

So, it was like electric bass/electric guitar tuning.

I'm just glad the string gauges there allowed me to put it back into 8 String Guitar Intervals, maybe the strings are original....

OK, so it's like a version of 12-string mirror 4ths. I may give another variation of that a try on the SB8. Something like

1.- E
2.- B
3.- F# (a tone above guitar low E)
4.- C#
5.- B (low bass B)
6.- E
7.- A
8.- D

Then I want to try your crafty tuning!

Support: bitcoin:bc1qedfg9z55ux3tlnf7qnnu3vggv8vant604dasye?message=Donate

http://www.instagram.com/waltschwarzkopf

Thu Sep 26, 2019 9:06 am