It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:25 am

Custom Tunings? 

Post Custom Tunings?
I'd like to say right away, I looked around to find this anywhere else i could, but i couldn't, so i made a new topic, sorry if Im' wrong in that.

here's what i want to know, I understand the tunings that the NS/Stick is more or less based around, and I've found that the stings you get from them are the best you can get for it, so i want to know is if you can get them to send you thicker gauge strings, say for tuning F#BEADGCF like I would like to do, I've emailed them and got no response either.
Thank you in advanced!
(P.S. i looked on the web site for sting gauges thinking of taking a string from like a grand stick, and putting it there, but no luck there either, they all only go to the B)

Mon Feb 09, 2009 2:57 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Re: Custom Tunings?
You should just call them up and talk it over with them. They are very open to making you a custom set of strings based on tunings and usage. SE is a small company with a focus on the phone as their primary communication medium. Emails are not the way to get information quickly, they are too busy.

-Eric

Rosewood SG12 #5966, Mirrored 4ths
Twitter: @ejknapp
http://ericjknapp.com

Mon Feb 09, 2009 4:18 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery

I don't mean to sound completely cheep here, but i kinda live up in Canada and don't want to have to pay long distance, would anybody that lives there be able to contact them for me? i understand they do make custom gauges for whatever, but i have never heard of any stick being tuned lower than a B, so I'm not sure about it

Tue Feb 17, 2009 11:13 am

Hi there
i live in Australia, and I use Skype's "Call Phones" function whenever I call Stick Enterprises. Most calls cost around 15 cents AUD which translates to around 8 American cents. Check it out. It's cheaper for me to call SE on the other side of the world than it is to call my mum who lives 10 kilometres away.
Cheers
Evan

Fri Feb 20, 2009 4:21 am

I'll also add that I don't think that it would be a problem to put a heavier gauge string on it to get down to F#. The design of the NS bridge and nut are quite ingenius and should take most any gauge without any modification. You would be best to use a tapered string though.
I have long thought that the stick is so clear and resonant at the bottom of its register that it seems a shame that it doesn't go lower. Most basses start sounding muddy when they get below E.
In regards to the type of strings used, I am under the impression that they are just D'Addario bass strings, but I might be wrong about that.
One thing you might not like about the lower tuning is that your D and G strings would be on the melody side of the instrument making the string spacing a bit weird if you wanted to use them as bass strings, and putting them through different processing if you use it in stereo. The ramifications of this are that the lowest place you would find a bass guitar middle C which is quite a normal note to play would be fret 15 on your highest bass string. This won't matter if you use it in mono though. I'm sure Emmett would have experimented with lower tunings and can give you some guidance.
Cheers
Evan

Fri Feb 20, 2009 5:06 am

I have thought about it a lot, and i think that it'd be just perfect like that, id have DGCF on the high end, that is if i even split it stereo, and that it just perfect, say if i wanted i could play most rock and some metal just two handed both parts, having the high end distorted. it'd be great for me i think, and also i doubt I'd use it stereo much.

Mon Feb 23, 2009 2:28 am