It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:14 am

Neck material 

Post Neck material
Hello guys, I've decided to order a NS/Stick in the next month,
I love the graphite neck material produced by Moses but unfortunately for me, I see that Chapman don't offer it anymore, what a shame!! If only I had decided to order it first some years ago......
Now my only possible choice is Wengè or Bamboo necks, I guess that there is a huge difference compared to the graphite, are you agree?

Ok, I need to know which are the differences in the touch feel, in the sound timbre and in the weight between the Bamboo and the Wengè?
For my personal taste I'd prefer the dark color of Wenge, because it remembers me the Graphite, but it's only a feeling, nothing else

Could suggest me the Pros and Cons between those two woods?

Let me know,
Thank you so much

Sun Jan 20, 2019 5:05 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Re: Neck material
Feel Wenge is more porous, you can feel the grain. Bamboo tighter feel closer to hardwood guitar neck. Tone I’m not sure, my bamboo stick is warmer than I thought it would be.

Brett

Sun Jan 20, 2019 5:23 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery

Thank you Brett!!! ;)

Guys, any other suggestions/ideas?

Thanks!

Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:55 am
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

I've got two identical SG-12s, except for one in Bamboo and one in Wenge. And yes, Wenge looks really great, but I'm finding the Bamboo more musically sounding. It has the feel of old guitars made in a light-weight wood (although this laminated Bamboo is a very hard material). The Bamboo " has more temperament" while the Wenge feels more "stable". Playing the Bamboo makes me feel the instrument speaks back to me while performing, while the Wenge is more like a precision tool for sonic surgery. I prefer the Bamboo for public concerts, for that extra input of instant inspiration, its "open sound". First I didn't believe the wood could make such a difference so I switched the two instrument's PASV-4 pickup houses, but the characteristics remained - thus proven to be caused by the wood materials. I've done blind test with non-musician people and they all say the Bamboo sounds nicer.

However, I must add that my 12-str Grand Stick is also a Bamboo plank, but it doesn't have the same open resonance as the Bamboo SG12. Might have to do with size, sure. Every size of instrument has its own "form-factor resonance peak frequency" and when this matches the tonal range of the same instrument the magic happens. I guess.

And how all this translates to just a neck is of course another question.

Fractal Audio AxeFx-III, 2 x RCF NX-10 SMA, Apollo Twin USB

http://youtube.com/perboysen

Sun Jan 27, 2019 3:25 am
Profile My Photo Gallery

Excellent!

Thank you so much ;)

Sun Jan 27, 2019 4:36 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

I love my wenge neck NS/Stick on dark-stained wenge body, but I don't have any bamboo instruments to compare it to, only a Rosewood 10-string and an aluminium Railboard. And comparing the wenge NS to the rosewood Stick is apples to oranges. I hope somebody else can help on this one. I think you'll be fine either way, though!

Rosewood 10-string, #5989, M4s
Sapphire Railboard, #6763, MR
Wenge-on-Wenge NS/Stick, #170130, Bass 4ths
http://soundcloud.com/stephen-sink-1
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-RDlN ... Ez0hN49_Qg

Sun Jan 27, 2019 6:55 am
Profile My Photo Gallery

Ok...thanks

now another question: does anyonone has ever tried to tune the NS/Stick with the Interior Matched Reciprocal tuning?
Pros and Cons?

Sun Jan 27, 2019 8:17 am
Contributor
Contributor

I’ve not done interior, but played my new Railboard with RMR extensively for 6 months before moving to classic for the time being.

Greg will probably chip in and clarify any misquoting/misrepresenting I’m about to do, but the magic of the 5ths really needs 5 strings minimum to shine. There’s chords that are fairly basic and essential that need 4-5 strings to even be played, so to do 4 strings would rob you of that magic.

Have you played before? Apologies if I’ve missed that.

10 string Railboard #7076 (Currently in DBR)

Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:22 am

On the Chapman website, within the NS/Stick page, they said that the posssible tunings are:
Standard Bass 4ths
Guitar Intervals
Guitar Lower Octave
Interior Matched Reciprocal™
Interior 8-String Classic™
Interior Dual Bass Reciprocal™

I've been attracted by the Interior Matched Reciprocal, becuase I read that this tuning opens up new scale positions by creating more space between the hands for familiar right-hand scales, thus enabling a strong new scale position when the hands are close together. It seems that opens new possibilities

Said that, I've never played a Stick before, I'm a bass player and I feel comfortable with the straight 4ths tuning, also as you said, maybe the Interior needs 5 strings at least and I see all the NS/Stick owners have the standard 4th tuning.
I asked the tuning matter just to know if somebody here has never tried to keep a different tuning

Thank you

Tue Jan 29, 2019 4:48 am
Contributor
Contributor

Dario wrote:
On the Chapman website, within the NS/Stick page, they said that the posssible tunings are:
Standard Bass 4ths
Guitar Intervals
Guitar Lower Octave
Interior Matched Reciprocal™
Interior 8-String Classic™
Interior Dual Bass Reciprocal™

I've been attracted by the Interior Matched Reciprocal, becuase I read that this tuning opens up new scale positions by creating more space between the hands for familiar right-hand scales, thus enabling a strong new scale position when the hands are close together. It seems that opens new possibilities

Said that, I've never played a Stick before, I'm a bass player and I feel comfortable with the straight 4ths tuning, also as you said, maybe the Interior needs 5 strings at least and I see all the NS/Stick owners have the standard 4th tuning.
I asked the tuning matter just to know if somebody here has never tried to keep a different tuning

Thank you

Ditto! Bass was my first instrument but piano and voice are my forte these days.

What are you looking to do with the instrument? Either music wise or function wise?

10 string Railboard #7076 (Currently in DBR)

Tue Jan 29, 2019 2:19 pm