It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:11 pm

Neck material 

Post Re: Neck material
Well, I'm a bass player primarly, so if I keep the NS tuned in standard Bass 4ths it would spread heavily my already known harmonic (chords), melodic and rhytmic concepts, this is for sure.

On the other side, I play piano too even if I'm not a pro, but I like to play it and the idea to tune the NS with the Interior Matched Reciprocal tuning thanks to the bass ascending 5ths, makes me think that I can achieve more complex chords which are Impossible with the standard Bass 4ths tuning, also the Interior Matched Reciprocal seems to be more similar to a piano's way playing.
One of the Big Cons for me, by using the Interior is that I will no more have the bass strings placed on the external side of the NS, as now I have on my electric bass.In fact in this case they will be in the center of the fretboard and I will loose the multi-mode feature to use the NS as a bass guitar too

Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:23 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Dario wrote:
Well, I'm a bass player primarly, so if I keep the NS tuned in standard Bass 4ths it would spread heavily my already known harmonic (chords), melodic and rhytmic concepts, this is for sure.

On the other side, I play piano too even if I'm not a pro, but I like to play it and the idea to tune the NS with the Interior Matched Reciprocal tuning thanks to the bass ascending 5ths, makes me think that I can achieve more complex chords which are Impossible with the standard Bass 4ths tuning, also the Interior Matched Reciprocal seems to be more similar to a piano's way playing.
One of the Big Cons for me, by using the Interior is that I will no more have the bass strings placed on the external side of the NS, as now I have on my electric bass.In fact in this case they will be in the center of the fretboard and I will loose the multi-mode feature to use the NS as a bass guitar too

As a 35-year piano player, and now a newbie bass player, and 3-years next week on the NS/Stick and almost 4 on the regular Stick, I'd say "Go with straight bass 4ths tuning on your NS/Stick."

Your woods? I like wenge but you'll be happy with any wood. Your tuning? Not even close--stick with bass 4ths and rock it out. And then get a 10 or 12-string Stick and play with inverse 5ths in the bass. NS/Stick is not the instrument to do that, with "only" 8 strings. My 2 cents.

Rosewood 10-string, #5989, M4s
Sapphire Railboard, #6763, MR
Wenge-on-Wenge NS/Stick, #170130, Bass 4ths
http://soundcloud.com/stephen-sink-1
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-RDlN ... Ez0hN49_Qg

Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:21 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Contributor
Contributor

Dario wrote:

I think if your primary aim is to play bass/guitar type material, I’d follow paigans advice and stick with 4ths. If you want to play piano-esque parts get a 10/12 string stick. I’m not saying there’s no overlap but I think you’ll be disappointed if you force the NS to be one thing when it’s designed to be another. Just my 2p!

10 string Railboard #7076 (Currently in DBR)

Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:27 am

Thank you so much guys!! ;)
now I have a better idea of what I will do and I'm sure that I will feel fine with the standard 4ths tuning. Even if on the official website they is stated that the NS can be tuned in other ways, I'm agree with you and I'm sure that the best one is the standard Bass 4ths
about the woods I'll decide if I'll go for the Bamboo or the Wenge

Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:35 am