It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:34 pm

Review of NS Stick [used] part II 
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

Post Review of NS Stick [used] part II
On this beautiful sunny New England fall day, we celebrate the birthday of Emmett Chapman and continue with exploring the possibilites of the NS Stick.

So, the instrument was tuned with a Korg DT-10 which I have had since it was introduced, and amplification consisted of a Roland Street EX cube, which is actually the bigger of the two wedge shaped portable amplifiers which Roland makes.

For starters, the instrument tuned to pitch with no problem whatsoever, although I was getting quite nervous as I felt the string tension was a bit higher than I am accustomed to, then I remembered the logic behind the locking nut and bridge assemblies and I felt at ease.

This instrument - which has a graphite neck - has sustain like none other that I have ever played or own, as it is incredible - beyond belief !!

This instrument has a clarity, a focus... a super crisp accurate piano like tone, very much like my L-2 prototype, which really made me smile.

For a good hour, I just improvised - open notes, open chords... fretting/droning - all different kinds of techniques, including incorporating harmonics with fretted notes.

Now - mind you dear reader the majority of my playing today was with the mute in the stowed position, so it was more like an extended range bass or baritone guitar so to speak, but what an absolute joy - and the only negative was it caused me to re-think where I am at and where I am going instrument wise - because this NS Stick is so versatile... it's like 3 instruments in one.

With the mute engaged, it did exactly what it was designed to do, and again - tapped notes had a super clarity/high definition... very different than my old Ironwoods - which was to be expected.

I am now realizing that I have no idea what the controls on the instrument - I have no idea how they are actually set - or how the switches are set, as... I literally pulled her in, tuned her up... and started playing just to check a few things sonically from a playability stand point - and never stopped.

Meaning - there was no fret buzz - or any obvious issues with intonation, which I found to be astonishing.

Maybe its' the graphite neck, maybe it's just that the bridge is still set in it's original factory setting.... I do not know - but I do know that after an hours worth of playing, this is an instrument that I cannot live without and will be my main instrument from here on in, especially when playing out live.

Part 3 will come early next year, once I get some time playing though my big rig, which includes a GK RB-800 [an early one...] with a digitech harmony machine, a Lexicon dual reverb/delay, and an original RAT pedal.

Signal will be combined using the Radial ABY box

Sound will be through a 4x10 Guild/Hartke [1st generation !!]aluminum coned cab on top of a newer [early 1990s] production Hartke cab with the normal aluminum drivers.

I hope this 3 part mini series is ok, because I wish I had something like this to read last year because, well.... it might - no - it would have severely altered my path in exploring these types of instruments, especially those made by other manufactures....

Happy Birthday Emmett !!
I hope that the joy which I am experiencing today with the NS Stick brings you much joy and sense of satisfaction on this beautiful day.

Cheers !!

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Ironwood #285, Classic [flatwounds]
Ironwood #1855, Classic [roundwounds]

SB-8 Padauk #1788, Classic CGDA, Electric Bass EADG
RB-8 Drk Blue w/Black Headstock # 6739, Crafty Tuning

NS Stick Transparent Green w/Moses neck #90120, 8-string Guitar Intervals

Sat Sep 28, 2019 10:51 am
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

Post Re: Review of NS Stick [used] part II
*I want to add that the neck is super comfortable and accessable, and the body is very comfortable as well, as today's playing was done outside in my front yard, seated.

I did "stow" the strap arm [see part I...] and feel that this really made the comfort factor even better while seated.

Tuning is 8 String Guitar Intervals.

Also, I believe the controls on the NS Stick... I seem to think I centered everything pot wise.... and the Roland Street Ex - same thing - controls are not set too extreme and I did add some chorus to the melody side, along with some slight delay and reverb... and it sounded great - no issues with transition from melody to bass sides as I have this tuned as a single region instrument.

I'm sure I'm forgetting something else, but I want to go on record stating that this instrument - the one I have with the graphite neck - is highly highly recommended, as I just finished up playing it for a solid hour - without even doing a proper set up or checking the intonation inside the studio on a bench.

It is truly truly an amazing instrument with a real powerful dynamic crisp high definition tone, for those looking for something with a lot of clarity and focus.

Also - while tuning with the DT-10 Korg, the note struck, say a G.... the display indicated G with almost zero wavering, I mean it just stayed as a perfect G, and this held true for all the open strings as well as brief harmonic testing...

Maybe I've never really paid attention to that before, but I can't remember any other instrument tuning so precise....

Ironwood #285, Classic [flatwounds]
Ironwood #1855, Classic [roundwounds]

SB-8 Padauk #1788, Classic CGDA, Electric Bass EADG
RB-8 Drk Blue w/Black Headstock # 6739, Crafty Tuning

NS Stick Transparent Green w/Moses neck #90120, 8-string Guitar Intervals

Sat Sep 28, 2019 11:10 am