It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:11 pm

NS Stick vs Ibanez SRC6 
Contributor
Contributor

Post NS Stick vs Ibanez SRC6
So this really isn't a direct comparison, as in, I'm not asking which is better, or more appropriate for a given situation.

I guess what I'm more curious about is how much overlap there is between the aforementioned SRC6, and an NS stick if you were to treat the NS as more of a bass that is strummed/finger plucked (obviously the NS is going to be far more adept at the tapping range).

The SRC6 is an interesting instrument, but tonewise, I'm not quite sure where it fits compared to an NS.

TIA!

Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:03 pm
Contributor
Contributor

Post Re: NS Stick vs Ibanez SRC6
And here's a link to a video, and some product info...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nDa3-r-0idY

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail ... alnut-flat

Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:04 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Think Jack Bruce back in his days with Cream:

https://www.metmuseum.org/art/collection/search/754248

Different animal from Ibanez compared to the NS. Shorter scale length will be easier to finger chords like a guitar, but you don't have the low B of the NS.

I have a fretless Ibanez 6 string with a three octave neck. For just under $900 it has a piezo bridge and Bartolini electronics. Closest thing to it is a much more expensive F-Bass that I could find. Really a nice bass, so I'm thinking this new "bass" you've brought here would be a winner also. Personally I'd see more overlap between an NS and a fretted six string in the 34-36" scale range. Never had the urge to buy one.

Thanks for sharing, I definitely would like to try one :)

This also showed up in Youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQcUL_eqMFM

Graphite Grand Stick MR
NS Stick Wenge body Wenge neck
Bamboo Grand Stickup

Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:28 pm
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

Ibanez makes [made??] a super cool 7 string bass, 4 strings fretted 3 strings fretless.. man, let me tell you that instrument totally opens up doors never thought possible !!

I love my NS Stick, although I had to get rid of that long rod and set up the strap arrangement more like a traditional bass guitar... next on my to do list is to find that Steinberger bass "swivel' strap mechanisim - that part the strap attaches too on the original L, XL, XL2 Steinberger basses and have that installed on my NS stick by a professional luthier.

I don't think you can really compare the 6 string Ibanez to an NS Stick.

I've dabbled with a 5 string Syme tuned in fifths, along with a 6 string Tune, also tuned in fifths, and I believe both of those have more range than my NS which is tuned in - is it guitar intervals ?? [I'll have to check my auto signature here since I have the tuning listed there !!] so I would say my answer is it all depends on how you are tuning the 6 string Ibanez.

Fifths go a long long way, even on 4 string basses....

Ironwood #285, Classic [flatwounds]
Ironwood #1855, Classic [roundwounds]

SB-8 Padauk #1788, Classic CGDA, Electric Bass EADG
RB-8 Drk Blue w/Black Headstock # 6739, Crafty Tuning

NS Stick Transparent Green w/Moses neck #90120, 8-string Guitar Intervals

Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:02 am
Site Donor
Site Donor

Off topic, sorry...

George, that instrument list in your signature makes my head spin. :-)

I'd love to hear some of what you do with any of them, so if you need a gentle push (violent shove?) to buy a digital recorder to direct record off your analog recording equipment, consider yourself shoved. :D

Bamboo Grand #7363 MR ACTV2, Tarara Grand #5677 MR PASV4
Tap In Time Podcast: tapintime.podbean.com/

Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:37 am
Contributor
Contributor

Big George Waters wrote:
Ibanez makes [made??] a super cool 7 string bass, 4 strings fretted 3 strings fretless.. man, let me tell you that instrument totally opens up doors never thought possible !!

I love my NS Stick, although I had to get rid of that long rod and set up the strap arrangement more like a traditional bass guitar... next on my to do list is to find that Steinberger bass "swivel' strap mechanisim - that part the strap attaches too on the original L, XL, XL2 Steinberger basses and have that installed on my NS stick by a professional luthier.

I don't think you can really compare the 6 string Ibanez to an NS Stick.

I've dabbled with a 5 string Syme tuned in fifths, along with a 6 string Tune, also tuned in fifths, and I believe both of those have more range than my NS which is tuned in - is it guitar intervals ?? [I'll have to check my auto signature here since I have the tuning listed there !!] so I would say my answer is it all depends on how you are tuning the 6 string Ibanez.

Fifths go a long long way, even on 4 string basses....

My concern is mostly if they were both duplicating each other's range, which it sounds like it doesn't.

Mon Nov 23, 2020 1:06 pm