It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:19 am

Don Schff - Rain Fall on Stick.com 
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Post Re: Don Schff - Rain Fall on Stick.com
DaHammer wrote:
I'd like to add my kudos to Don to all the others. I was so impressed in fact, that I've just placed my order today for a half-fretless NS/Stick although, to be honest, I was so blown away by Don's playing that I almost didn't dare place it. posting.php?mode=reply&f=7&t=159#

Ed White
NYC

A half fretless? You're a man after my own heart Ed. I love playing fretless bass. I have an NS Stick on order. (fretted) I haven't played one yet however if it's all I expect it to be I can foresee a day when I'll also be ordering a half fretless NS too and probably will be selling most of my bass guitar collection. We'll see .... hopefully I'll have my NS soon and I'll let you know what I think. (I'm sure I'll love it!)

http://www.rayrlmusic.com
http://www.myspace.com/raylavigne

Thu Feb 21, 2008 5:19 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery

Thanks Ray. You'll love it I'm sure. I played 10 string Stick for a while, but couldn't quite get my head around it, being a bassist (bass guitar and EUB) at heart.

Ed

Fri Feb 22, 2008 10:17 pm

Quote:
Yay, I'm registered. I'm Baaaaack! Whew

Thanks to all that listened and watched the video. Your feedback is very valuable as well as your questions.

The tuning I use on the NS is straight fourths. "WHY???" you may ask. Well.... there is a method to my madness.
1. The chord shapes lay so smoothly when you want to pluck the bass strings and strum the chords. Your left hand looks like a GIANT bar chord is being formed. With the 4ths tuning the basic chord shapes lay comfortable in your left hand. EVEN (if I may add) you have small hands. You just need some s-t-r-e-a-t-h-i-n-g exercises for your left hand. Keep in my that won't make our hands grow, it will just take that "ohhh that could hurt" feeling out of the equation.

Sometimes when I look at my hand positions I say, "Wow, that looks painful" however it is followed by "And yet, I don't feel a thing". AND... most of the time it's not a dream where I wake up after having slept on my arm - cutting off the circulation and having 'numb' hand..... followed by.. "Just don't move, the tingling will stop." So, you see it all works out either way.

Rainfall is a great example of playing the NS like a Stick. That tune was originally written on the Stick and so I had to transfer the 5ths bass part to a 4ths part. I have always maintained that what drives the music is the intention of your playing not the tuning or the instrument. In this case, I am saying the samething with the bass part whether it is the 5ths part or the 4ths, I may alter some of the inversions but the intention is the same.

Also true with the Grand Stick when I would do sessions and it called for a 4 string bass feel and line. I would capture the 'long' held tones of pulling the string by tapping the bass note and holding each note right into the next grouping of notes. Then consider the 'drive' of my line, the intention. Then play the line with all the glory of the fifths tuning, adding in octaves, fancy passing notes etc,. Felt like a line I would have constructed in fourths, plays and lays great in fourths.

Same with Rainfall. Created in 5ths, lays and plays great in 4ths. The 'right hand' is the same part (thank goodness - one less thing to consider).

When I play out live I usually play this tune (Okay I always play this tune) because I know it so well. It has a lovely bridge section that can be played 'emulating' the 5ths tuning. By that I mean, 'In fifths you can 'grab' the higher strings on the bass side and fill out the chord, all in one hand - on the bass side (Yay Sticks). On the NS you accomplish that another way (Yay NS's). You form the bass notes with your left hand then s-t-r-e-t-c-h your left hand fingers (that are not 'in play' at that moment) across the neck to the 'higher strings side' and fill out the chord in conjunction with the right hand comping parts. Next time you see me ask me about it, I'll show you. It's easier to see and understand then talk about.

Heading out to San Fransico tomorrow for the Progressive Rock Festival "Wait, I'll copy past something".
Bay Area Rock Festival - "The Indepedant" San Francisco, Ca
Rocket Scientists w/ special guest Lana Lane
June 27th @ 8:PM

There ya go. Then on to lovely "Clinton, NY" "Wait more copy pasting"
Power of Prog. - Clinton, New York.
Rocket Scientists w/ special guest Lana Lane
June 29th @ 7:PM

It will be grand to see all of you, C'mon up introduce yourself if we haven't met yet. And for us that have met, ya better come over and say hi if I don't find you first. At Stickist.com I maintain "We are the friendliest place on Cyberspace!"

Perfect!
Don

Wed Jun 25, 2008 2:50 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

I just want to say that it's cats like Don, Greg, Steve A and all of the rest of the community that makes playing these wonderful instruments such a gas. I have received so much info and inspirations by these postings. In fact, one of the first things I do in the morning before practice is to check this forum. :) One of the greatest things that I find missing here is "ego". just class act musicians sharing the craft! Excellent!!

Wed Jun 25, 2008 6:43 pm