It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:32 pm

NS Stick onfo from Don Schiff 
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Post NS Stick onfo from Don Schiff
Friends I've been "bugging" Don Schiff asking general and specific questions about the NS Stick. Being the great guy he is he gladly answered all my questions and gave me permission to post his replies. So here are some Q&A with Don Schiff!

how often do you feel the need to change strings on the NS? <

I like just about all the tones in all the phases of the strings wearing out. Sometimes I let them get real dead. Usually 5 months. If I'm going into a session then I like them to be somewhat new - within a month.

>how often do you change your batteries?<

The batteries last a surprisingly long time. That's the scary part, "Ya forget about it until it's too late!" I've had 'em start to go mid gig before. Ya first start to hear a little distortion, 15 min. later... ugly distortion... Then just bad tone... hopefully the gigs over before that. Soooo to answer the question, "when I can't remember the last time I changed the battery"... "I change the batteries". Tip: You can test a used battery by putting the 'tip' of your tongue on the two terminals. If it's 9 volts you won't be able to keep your tongue on it... 'hurts to much'.... If you can stand it, you're good for awhile. The NS will play just fine even if it just tingles your tongue but ya better change then cause soon it's gonna run out on ya."

>my NS Stick will have the graphite neck but your NS has the wooden neck (I assume) and you've played the graphite neck NS Sticks too. How would you compare them?<

Great question, yes I've played both. I have even taken mine to SE and played the the wood and graphite side by side. No real difference in tone. Slight but nothing you'd really notice. As soon as I played the graphite for a few minutes I didn't notice a difference in feel either... granted I adjust to things fast but I would say either neck is just as great and felt no need have one over the other for sound or feel differences.

The only reason I have and keep mine (wood) is because it was the first one... prototype, and special in my mind as it was entrusted to me to explore what 'these' instruments could do before production began. It is by "hardware" standards not up to par with the ones you now get. (My bridge screws don't match, little cosmetic things are different before they were standardized, even the body style is slightly different on mine. The body style that went into production is a better than mine in that the 'body' cuts away from the neck sooner on the production model making it easier to access the neck up high. However, I adjust, the one I have is my buddy, plays great, "we're in sync with each other" and so I don't wanna mess around with that." Some would call it superstition, I call it not fixing what works so well for me. When I first went into the studio with it the engineers flipped over the sound and producers said, "Get another one if you want but always show up with that one... we love 'that' one's tone." And so I've played others, but show up with that one, it is special to me. If it got lost or stolen I'd have no problem (other than sentimentality) playing another. Wow, long way to say, "Na, no real difference in necks".

> Would you mind if I post your replies to my questions for others to read?<

I would greatly appreciate that, I haven't had the time to get over their and join in the fun as I would like to. Thank you for writing and reposting this at the forum.

Take care, and thanks for asking and staying in touch.
Don

http://www.rayrlmusic.com
http://www.myspace.com/raylavigne

Thu Jan 31, 2008 12:33 am
Profile My Photo Gallery

Post Re: NS Stick onfo from Don Schiff
Good info! Thanks for sharing.

Thu Jan 31, 2008 7:34 am