It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:01 am

frets on the NS Stick 

Post frets on the NS Stick
Hello,

I've got a question for you Stick players: why doesn't the NS Stick have the fret rails like the other Sticks? Is there a disadvantage with these frets for plucking techniques? Does the fact that it's got bass guitar frets make it harder to tap on the NS?

Thanks,
Alex

Wed Sep 23, 2009 4:05 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Re: frets on the NS Stick
Alex,

I have both. I've been playing Stick for almost 6 years, and NS for about a month.

My guess is that the NS necks come from Moses already fretted. It really is an 8 string NS bass adapted for two handed tapping, (split pickups, and ability to hang vertically). Works well as a hybrid fingerstyle bass and baritone guitar.

If a Stick is 100% easy to tap, and NS is 85% easy to tap (to me anyway). The melody strings on the NS are a heavier gauge, and the action is not quite as low, but it is amazingly easy to tap.

I now play both on a daily basis, and switching between them is simple.

Hope this helps,
Lee

Wed Sep 23, 2009 4:48 pm
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

LJones wrote:
Alex,

I have both. I've been playing Stick for almost 6 years, and NS for about a month.

My guess is that the NS necks come from Moses already fretted. It really is an 8 string NS bass adapted for two handed tapping, (split pickups, and ability to hang vertically). Works well as a hybrid fingerstyle bass and baritone guitar.

If a Stick is 100% easy to tap, and NS is 85% easy to tap (to me anyway). The melody strings on the NS are a heavier gauge, and the action is not quite as low, but it is amazingly easy to tap.

I now play both on a daily basis, and switching between them is simple.

Hope this helps,
Lee

I think one reason it has normal frets is because it's also meant to be played as a bass or guitar and the normal frets make it more "guitar" like.

http://www.rayrlmusic.com
http://www.myspace.com/raylavigne

Wed Sep 23, 2009 4:54 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

A lot of us still play older Sticks with standard jumbo frets or "rods", and they are all ridiculously easy to tap compared to traditional guitar-family instruments. Rails definitely offer a more precise feel for tapping, but most of the magic is in the setup of the instrument.

Cheers,
Andy

http://andysalvanos.com/

Wed Sep 23, 2009 5:00 pm
Contributor
Contributor

But is there any reason why rails would be bad for the Ns/Stick?

Sun Oct 11, 2009 2:08 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Kalyptic wrote:

From a playing standpoint, none that I can think of.

From a production standpoint, it would add material and labor cost. The labor cost, production time added in fret dressing, would slow all Stick production down.

In the grand scheme of SE, probably not worth doing.

My .02, Lee

Sun Oct 11, 2009 4:31 am
Site Donor
Site Donor

Kalyptic wrote:

I'll turn the question around and ask what would be the advantage of rails on an instrument that might largely be used for slapping, strumming and picking? Smaller frets will often give the feel of a faster fingerboard with lower action on a conventional bass (which is why some players have been known to prefer mandolin frets etc).

Cheers,
Andy

http://andysalvanos.com/

Sun Oct 11, 2009 5:06 am