It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:42 am

N/S Stick questions - help needed ... 

Post N/S Stick questions - help needed ...
Hi,
This is my first post in this forum and I really enjoy reading through everything written before. It is so helpful to get more information about the N/S Stick, nevertheless I have some questions left and maybe someone is able to answer :D :

1) I am a hybrid of bass and cello player and I have fallen into love with the N/S Stick. Several years ago I bought a Ned Steinberger basscello and found the boomerang strap system (http://www.nedsteinberger.com/instruments/systems.php) the most comfortable one I have ever used. Especially it enables a fixed tilting of the instrument towards or from the body, the same as you stabilize your cello with your legs. Now I wonder how this system would work on a N/S Stick. Does someone has experience with this? How vertical can the instrument be placed with the standard strap system?

2) The half fretless option seems to be perfect for my taste of sound. I love the fretless "mmmwwah" but imho the pizzicato of discant strings on a fretless with long scale sounds someway tiny and lacking warmth. Now I wonder if the elevation of the frets on one half of the fretboard lead to an "uneven" feeling when crossing from fretless to fretted an vice versa. How does this affect the string height? Is playability restricted in some way?

Thousand thanks in advance for a feedback :)

/Uli

Sun Nov 08, 2009 5:44 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Re: N/S Stick questions - help needed ...
Uli,

1) The boomerang system seems like it would work. However the NS strap system allows the same type of instrument position shift by sliding the strap. The instrument sits very well with the neck just outside the left shoulder. Maybe not as elegant as the boomerang system, but more simple, cheaper, and familiar to electric bassists.

2) Since the frets are so low (compared to Stick Rails), and each string is easily height adjustable at the nut and the bridge, this should not be a problem.

Hope this helps,
Lee

Sun Nov 08, 2009 6:26 am

Post Re: N/S Stick questions - help needed ...
Many thanks, Lee!

Helps me a lot. Have to place my order very soon :D

Mon Nov 09, 2009 2:51 pm