It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:54 pm

FRET QUESTION 
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

Post FRET QUESTION
Has anyone out there playing an NS ever sent it back to SE. to have the frets redressed??? If so did you send the entire instrument back or because it's a bolt on neck did you just send in the neck. Which would seem to be easier and much cheaper in the long run. Thanks for your time.PS. Do you think SE. will offer fret rails as an option for the NS. in the future???

Sat Nov 14, 2009 4:26 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post Re: FRET QUESTION
probably wiser to send back the whole instrument, as Emmett would need the whole thing to do a proper setup.

Sat Nov 14, 2009 11:00 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Having both Sticks and an NS, I really see the NS as a very nice custom electric bass guitar, standard stuff all in all.

I don't thing SE does much more than bolt the neck on, and set the truss and string heights.

I wouldn't hesitate to have a good trusted local luthier/guitar repair shop dress the frets on my NS (but not my Stick). Also I would not hesitate to unbolt the neck of my NS and send it to Moses to have it re-fretted, since they are the ones who made, and fretted the neck in the first place.

http://www.mosesgraphite.com/cgi-bin/mo ... Necks.html

My .02 anyway. Quicker and cheaper to have frets dressed locally, and to have Moses re-fret the neck when needed. The neck should bolt back on and need little if any re-setup.

Also don't see the rails for NS happening, no need really. After seeing Emmett doing Stick fret dressing in Dan's movie preview, I bet SE can build two NS sticks, start to finish, (Edit: the electronics and body of the NS would take a little more time, don't know if they do that in house. So maybe I exaggerated some. Bolting the neck on the body, stringing and setup would be fast.) in the time it takes to just do the fret dressing on one Stick. That seems to be where the artistry, and time in Stick production is.

Lee

Sun Nov 15, 2009 7:53 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

I have one of the original Wenge-necked NS's. Have no need to do anything with the frets yet, and I don't see them wearing out any time soon as I'm not putting as much pressure on them as I would on my bass guitar as the action is lower, and the strings are lighter gaged than a traditional bass.

I agree with Lee about local luthiers, these are standard frets, should not be a problem provided you have a good luthier/technician available locally.

I can't see putting fret rails on an NS, sounds painful as the instrument is held more like a guitar where your hand would be providing more support; fret rails would act like a saw on a hand supporting the neck, especially during a slide.

Graphite Grand Stick MR
NS Stick Wenge body Wenge neck
Bamboo Grand Stickup

Sun Nov 15, 2009 6:07 pm
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

I have one question WHY unbolt the neck?? I don't see any value in doing this, am I missing something?

http://www.rayrlmusic.com
http://www.myspace.com/raylavigne

Mon Nov 16, 2009 6:18 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

I thought that if I ever needed to have the frets redressed or if there was some other issue, it would be cheaper to ship just the neck from where I live in NJ. to Calif. than to ship the whole instrument.

Mon Nov 16, 2009 6:49 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

A fret job is not something that you will do very often ;) so send the whole instrument and it will benefit from some fine tuning from The Man himself...
If you are buying a second hand instrument that is a little old it could be a good idea to make it ship directly to S.E for an refresh.

Cheers, Daniel.

Mon Nov 16, 2009 7:46 am
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

Thanks to all for the good advice.

Mon Nov 16, 2009 8:03 am