It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:47 pm

Ideas for practice 

Post Ideas for practice
Hi everyone. I haven't posted in a while, but I have some questions that maybe you can help me with. I love the NS! I have had it since July, but I primarily use it as a bass. The music i'm playing (rock, classic rock, blues and christian)and the situations call for more of a bass support role. The bands i'm involved in have several musicians already, so to play beyond that bass role would be a bit too much. What I would like is some suggestions on what to practice or methods many of you use in your personal practice time. I have been working on right hand chords a bit,and also some left hand chords. Trying to play with two hand independance has for the most part been pretty elusive up to this point! I don't read music, but I do understand theory, chord construction,scales etc... I'm feeling a bit lost and stuck right now, so any help would be appreciated!

Thu Dec 03, 2009 4:06 pm
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Post Re: Ideas for practice
1STNAMEBASSIST wrote:
Hi everyone. I haven't posted in a while, but I have some questions that maybe you can help me with. I love the NS! I have had it since July, but I primarily use it as a bass. The music i'm playing (rock, classic rock, blues and christian)and the situations call for more of a bass support role. The bands i'm involved in have several musicians already, so to play beyond that bass role would be a bit too much. What I would like is some suggestions on what to practice or methods many of you use in your personal practice time. I have been working on right hand chords a bit,and also some left hand chords. Trying to play with two hand independance has for the most part been pretty elusive up to this point! I don't read music, but I do understand theory, chord construction,scales etc... I'm feeling a bit lost and stuck right now, so any help would be appreciated!

I would suggest you pick a song with an easy chord progression, learn the bass part (tapping) and the right hand chords and play it (both parts at the same time) until it become second nature. Then move on to another song. Once you get use to playing with both hands you can move to more advanced parts. Like anything else practice makes perfect ... review, review, review

http://www.rayrlmusic.com
http://www.myspace.com/raylavigne

Thu Dec 03, 2009 9:09 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery

Post Re: Ideas for practice
With the NS I started out like I teach beginning bass students. One string at a time and then work up to string skipping, but I also worked on both hands in octaves and then writing harmonies and then chording over the bass line with some pretty good results.

Wed Dec 30, 2009 5:06 am