It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:40 pm

Fretted and half frettless NS NECKS 
Master Contributor
Master Contributor

Post Re: Fretted and half frettless NS NECKS
Yes, it would seem a lot easier in a live show or in a recording studio to have two NS/Sticks, one of them half fretless or even fully fretless.

Also, the neck is the most expensive part of the instrument and has to be dressed to a very flat plane of rounded fret tips plus a slight bass "relief" contour to form an even playing surface. The object is to have no buzzing in the normal range of finger velocity, even when set for very low tapping "action".

Still, it's quite possible to have one of each neck as interchangeable on the body. And yes, the strings could simply remain attached to the locking nut on each neck.

I'm not too happy about the idea of contacting my OEM suppliers about these matters though, instead, I'd be glad to directly explore such alternatives with anyone interested.

There's one small disadvantage to switching necks from fretted to fretless bass. The fretless side is lower by .050" (height of the bass guitar frets), so the side-saddle bridge and nut setscrews must be turned lower by about that distance on the fretless bass side.

Best, Emmett.

Sat Dec 19, 2009 1:58 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

BSharp wrote:
There's one small disadvantage to switching necks from fretted to fretless bass. The fretless side is lower by .050" (height of the bass guitar frets), so the side-saddle bridge and nut setscrews must be turned lower by about that distance on the fretless bass side.

Best, Emmett.

Well, this could be compensated with washers or even in the part of the neck that attach to the body at least in a fretted / full fretless situation. If not a metal plate like in Leevatip's half fretless stick will even this difference.

Cheers, Daniel.

Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:35 pm
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

If I could afford to buy 2 NS Sticks I would , but I can't. The fact that I will soon be putting some money down to get the process started , seems like a miracle to me. To have acess to these two wonderfully distinct flavors of sound would be great, no matter what it entailed with regards to changeing the neck. I know that when funds became available,(key word being "when"), I would want to pay towards getting a body for that second neck. If only for the luxury of being able to reach for it when inspiration struck, and not having to deal with changeing the neck and maybe loseing the moment in the process. But to me at this point in time, the 2 neck option would be a GREAT alternative. Even if this doesn't work out, thanks Emmett for listening, it's nice to be heard. Like I said in a previous post, I know that there would be a lot of work involved with something like this.More than what I am aware of. For now I shall remain content. Knowing that in the near future I will be the HAPPY OWNER OF ATLEAST 1 NS STICK.

Sun Dec 20, 2009 7:54 pm
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

BSharp wrote:
Yes, it would seem a lot easier in a live show or in a recording studio to have two NS/Sticks, one of them half fretless or even fully fretless.

Also, the neck is the most expensive part of the instrument and has to be dressed to a very flat plane of rounded fret tips plus a slight bass "relief" contour to form an even playing surface. The object is to have no buzzing in the normal range of finger velocity, even when set for very low tapping "action".

Still, it's quite possible to have one of each neck as interchangeable on the body. And yes, the strings could simply remain attached to the locking nut on each neck.

I'm not too happy about the idea of contacting my OEM suppliers about these matters though, instead, I'd be glad to directly explore such alternatives with anyone interested.

Best, Emmett.

I'm curious...

I know there's not half-fretless bamboo necks in production yet, but would this still be possible with the bamboo/rails neck? Is the resultant string height so substantially lower that it might not work with older hardware?

http://www.facebook.com/qualitytimejazz

Sat Feb 05, 2011 8:08 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery