It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:36 am

Fretted and half frettless NS NECKS 
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

Post Fretted and half frettless NS NECKS
I have a question and I know theres a lot more to this than what I'm aware of.But.... Since so much of the hardware on an NS ( much like the stick) is user adjustable and the neck is a bolt on. Wouldn't it be possible to order a fretted NS and if interested later just buy the half frettless neck separately??? I know there would probably be an issue that the neck might arc or bow or something like that if it remains in storage for any length of time, then again I don't know. I ask this question because I'm sure there are some of us, who financially can't afford both but would like that option. Maybe I'm alone on this, but maybe not. Please tell me what you think,Thanks.

Thu Dec 17, 2009 12:32 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Re: Fretted and half frettless NS NECKS
not yet stick wrote:
I have a question and I know theres a lot more to this than what I'm aware of.But.... Since so much of the hardware on an NS ( much like the stick) is user adjustable and the neck is a bolt on. Wouldn't it be possible to order a fretted NS and if interested later just buy the half frettless neck separately??? I know there would probably be an issue that the neck might arc or bow or something like that if it remains in storage for any length of time, then again I don't know. I ask this question because I'm sure there are some of us, who financially can't afford both but would like that option. Maybe I'm alone on this, but maybe not. Please tell me what you think,Thanks.

Good question...Did you ask anyone at Stick Enterprises or Moses yet?

Cheers, Michael

"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler" AlbertEinstein

10 String Rosewood (Stickup)
12 String Rosewood (PASV-4)
Classic Tuning (Medium Gauge)
2 Avalon U5
2 DBX 160A
Lexicon MPX1

Thu Dec 17, 2009 1:52 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

I havn't yet, but in about 3 weeks when I finally have some cash to put down on a " fretted" Ns I will. It can't hurt to ask, the worst they can say is no.........and then I will cry like a baby that needs it's diaper changed. I can understand that it probably isn't in their best intrest because it might hold up stick production. As well as a host of other reasons. But it doesn't hurt to ask. So I shall see.

Thu Dec 17, 2009 2:09 am
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

not yet stick wrote:
I havn't yet, but in about 3 weeks when I finally have some cash to put down on a " fretted" Ns I will. It can't hurt to ask, the worst they can say is no.........and then I will cry like a baby that needs it's diaper changed. I can understand that it probably isn't in their best intrest because it might hold up stick production. As well as a host of other reasons. But it doesn't hurt to ask. So I shall see.

Well they don't offer necks seperately BUTTTTTTTT SE to my knowledge is very open to working with their customers to make them happy. Doesn't hurt to ask!

http://www.rayrlmusic.com
http://www.myspace.com/raylavigne

Thu Dec 17, 2009 2:15 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

I don't remember the luthier's name, but many, many years ago someone was selling a convertible bass guitar. If I remember how it worked - the fretless and fretted fingerboards were actually inserts that fastened to the neck with a couple of bolts, with several dowel pins that fit into mating holes to keep the fingerboards inline and stable with the neck. You could pop one out and put the other in I believe without removing the strings. If that was not patented and it actually worked, that would work best for the NS. ( I work in injection molding, this concept is used all the time to create a multitude of different parts using the same mold).

The problem with swapping necks I see would probably require replacing the strings as well. I'm thinking it would be a pain, as well as possible to damage strings at the nut end; the strings are fastened with an allen screw that crushes the string to a certain extent. I find Stick strings hold up longer than bass or guitar strings, if you keep swapping conventional necks I'm thinking you will eat your savings by buying more strings.

Graphite Grand Stick MR
NS Stick Wenge body Wenge neck
Bamboo Grand Stickup

Thu Dec 17, 2009 8:15 pm
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

MichNS wrote:
I don't remember the luthier's name, but many, many years ago someone was selling a convertible bass guitar. If I remember how it worked - the fretless and fretted fingerboards were actually inserts that fastened to the neck with a couple of bolts, with several dowel pins that fit into mating holes to keep the fingerboards inline and stable with the neck. You could pop one out and put the other in I believe without removing the strings. If that was not patented and it actually worked, that would work best for the NS. ( I work in injection molding, this concept is used all the time to create a multitude of different parts using the same mold).

The problem with swapping necks I see would probably require replacing the strings as well. I'm thinking it would be a pain, as well as possible to damage strings at the nut end; the strings are fastened with an allen screw that crushes the string to a certain extent. I find Stick strings hold up longer than bass or guitar strings, if you keep swapping conventional necks I'm thinking you will eat your savings by buying more strings.

I THINK Alembic actually offered one for a very short time that was magnitized. (I could be mistaking in regard to manufacturer) EDIT - I just checked on the Alembic bass forum and it WAS an Alembic bass. Considering the VERY HIGH COST of Alembics and their high quality standards i'm surprised they tried it ... but they did! Obviously it wasn't that successful.

UPDATE - Apparently this was a modification by someone else on an Alembic bass, not by Alembic themselves.

Thu Dec 17, 2009 8:54 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

I wouldn't mind the cost of having to buy a new set of strings every time I changed the neck. If I only changed the neck when the set of strings had worn out, and I was willing to commit to the different neck until that set of strings wore out,then it wouldn't be a waste of money. If I played useing one neck for 2or 3 months and then I wanted to switch necks before the strings had worn out, then atleast I got 2 or 3 months of playing out of the strings. Just being able to switch between those 2 great sounds would be soooooooooooooooooooo nice.

Fri Dec 18, 2009 11:44 pm
Contributor
Contributor

I don't see why you couldn't simply leave a set of strings on each neck. You could loosen the tuners enough so that the ballends slip out of their sockets.

I seem to recall recently seeing some videos with Phil Keaggy promoting a folding acoustic guitar that worked similarly.

This is one of the beauties of the Steinberger tuner setup!

Sat Dec 19, 2009 6:26 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

grandstick wrote:
I don't see why you couldn't simply leave a set of strings on each neck. You could loosen the tuners enough so that the ballends slip out of their sockets.
This is one of the beauties of the Steinberger tuner setup!

Never thought of that - leaving a set fastened to the nut end of the neck is a fantastic idea to make this concept work. Perhaps all Emmett would have to do is come up with a quick-release method of bolting the neck to the body. I'm thinking threaded metal inserts in the body and high quality bolts that will last for frequent neck changes. Similar to the threaded inserts Joe Zon used on my bass for the cover to access the battery. After 18 years of use those threads never stripped on me. Something I've heard NOT true on some other instruments that just used wood screws. Inserts will make it easier to remove and install the bolts and should last a lifetime. It would not really involve purchasing any more costly equipment to manufacture - threaded bosses are plentiful, I'm thinking there has to be something already available. Just have to find the right bolts to make it work. Right now I'm working on a similar issue at work with a part that has a threaded insert in it, and also a set of custom bolts designed in Europe that are difficult to stock. What we are talking about here seems far easier to deal with.

I don't see myself ever being someone needing to swap necks. However for a rare instrument like this with a half-fretless option, having a way to acutally make this work would be a good idea IMHO. If someone eventually finds they do not like what they originally got, they could trade necks with another NS player.

Graphite Grand Stick MR
NS Stick Wenge body Wenge neck
Bamboo Grand Stickup

Sat Dec 19, 2009 10:10 am
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Of course the easiest answer is to own both! Quicker to change instruments than necks, especially on a gig! 8-)

Sat Dec 19, 2009 11:39 am
Profile My Photo Gallery