It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:21 pm

Returning after a long hiatus... 
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

Post Returning after a long hiatus...
Hi there, I just found this post:

http://www.stickist.com/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=2685

...which relates to a question that's been nagging me the past several weeks.

I played String Bass and Electric Bass through High School and College. I ended up giving it up because I had a chronic RSI in the tendon sheaths on both hands.

Fast forward to nearly 20 years later (Hands finally improved, lol). A friend (who's interested in putting together a Jazz trio) loaned me his Megatar to try out, and after some fiddling around I realized the action is so low and easy I may be able to get into playing again. Our first gig is March 13, so I'll know how much I can actually handle by then.

I've even been playing around with right-hand two-note jazz guitar chords on the thing. What fun! :D

The one thing that bothers me (O.K. three actually) about the Megatar are:

1.) The string spacing is really close for my big fingers.
2.) The instrument is *really* heavy.
3.) I don't really need 12 strings, the neck seems quite a bit of overkill for me.

But, as I told my friend, the easy action of the instrument is making it possible for me to play again. ;)

My question is, does anybody have any experience on how the NS/stick compares to the Megatar, both on the above points and also string action? The instrument seems a real good fit for me looking at it on a webpage, but if I pull the trigger on something like this it's going to involve selling another (admittedly under-utilized) instrument I own, so I want to be sure I make the right decision.

Any thoughts?

http://www.facebook.com/qualitytimejazz

Mon Mar 01, 2010 3:43 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery

Post Re: Returning after a long hiatus...
from What I hear and read. The differance is The NS stick is a beautifully crafted instrument. The Megatar is a piece of crap made and sold by a guy living off the sweat and name of Emmet Chapman. Oh and the NS stick has 8 strings. LOL Just my opinion.

Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:41 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

And one came up for sale in the classifieds section, so pick it up and be happy!

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2695

#6054 Bamboo SG12, ACTV-2, mirrored 4ths piano
#5518 Rosewood 10 String Grand, PASV4, MR

Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:44 pm
Artisan Contributor
Artisan Contributor

I've only ever played one NS Stick, recently, but found the action to be wonderfully low and very responsive. The standard tones are really great and with just a little extra agression in the fingers, you can go from a nice clean tone to a really gnarly, Geddy Lee-style, Jazz bass tone.

Highly recommended!

EG

Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:03 pm
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

I've owned both a Megetar and an NS Stick. For me it's hard to think of them in the same sentence, they are NOT the same! What they have in common is all 4ths tuning (If you get them both with standard tunings) and they are both tap instruments, they both use standard style frets and both have bodies. NOW the differences.

The Megetar's neck is much wider because it's 12 strings compaired to the NS Sticks 8 strings which IMO makes it MUCH harder to navigate, especially the low bass strings. (Assuming you use Emmett's crossed hand technique)

Both have a unique look however IMO the NS Stick if a much nicer looking instrument. This of course is a matter of personal taste.

The NS Stick allows for quick and easy nut and bridge adjustment for different playing styles (without removing strings) and has a quick retractable string damper. You can play the NS Stick as a tap instrument, a finger style bass or guitar instrument or even play it with a pick like a guitar. All in the same song if you wish! (The Megetar isn't as flexable, it's really just a taping instrument and it's nut is fixed)

The NS Stick has a smaller neck and is much easier to get your hands around to play.

The NS Stick's neck is graphite so is very solid. The Megetar's neck (at least the one i had) is wood ... and it was also solid however much wider and the instrument in general felt much bigger and heavier.

When I bought my Megetar I was sold by it's availablilty and price point but I never made peace with the instrument, it never became comfortable in my hands and i always had issues trying to reach the low bass strings because the neck was way too wide for me. (I DON'T have small hands, I'm very average) Eventually I sold it and actually gave up on tap instruments for a few years until regaining interest in the Stick. To be fair it wasn't a piece of crap IMO, it's a valid instrument however for me because of the neck width and general design the instrument was simply unplayable.

Personally I felt the NS Stick was a much more playable and flexable instrument. I used my NS Stick as a 2 hand tapping "bass/guitar" for over a year professionally as a cover band bass player (plus) gigging every weekend. I only sold it because I semi-retired from gigging now and since I'm primarily writing and recording original music now, own a 12 string Grand Stick, several basses and guitars and at the time needed money to purchase my recording system and computer it made sense to sell it. Honestly I miss owning the NS Stick and although I sold mine I would highly recommend buying one. I would NOT recommend a Megetar because for ME the instrument was simply not user friendly, largely because of neck width and design. This is my personal opinion and is not meant as a slam, just my honest opinion.

http://www.rayrlmusic.com
http://www.myspace.com/raylavigne

Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:28 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

88persuader wrote:
The NS Stick allows for quick and easy nut and bridge adjustment for different playing styles (without removing strings) and has a quick retractable string damper. You can play the NS Stick as a tap instrument, a finger style bass or guitar instrument or even play it with a pick like a guitar. All in the same song if you wish!
Hi Ray,

This is probably the coolest thing about the NS compared to other instruments. You actually can easily play it like a regular bass or guitar, with open strings.

http://www.stick.com/instruments/ns/damper.html

zaubertuba wrote:
Hi there, I just found this post:

http://www.stickist.com/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=2685

...which relates to a question that's been nagging me the past several weeks.

I played String Bass and Electric Bass through High School and College. I ended up giving it up because I had a chronic RSI in the tendon sheaths on both hands.

Hi zaubertuba,

I think you probably got the wrong impression from Konrad's post. The Stick is incredibly easy to tap on, if the truss is adjusted properly, even with heavy gauge strings. I had a skype lesson recently where I asked my student to play certain exercises even though I suspected his truss might be adjusted incorrectly. After seeing how hard it was, I asked him to adjust the truss, and...everything was suddenly much easier.

I can't stress it enough folks. If your action feels even the slightest bit high, adjust your truss. On the Stick it's very easy to do.

Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:07 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

Thanks for all the comments, guys! :D

88persuader wrote:
The Megetar's neck is much wider because it's 12 strings compaired to the NS Sticks 8 strings which IMO makes it MUCH harder to navigate, especially the low bass strings. (Assuming you use Emmett's crossed hand technique)

This megatar actually has the bass strings on "bottom" (configured to be played uncrossed). It makes them accessible, but it's a bit weird referencing the bottom string when it's not at the topside of the neck. :roll:

Quote:
The NS Stick allows for quick and easy nut and bridge adjustment for different playing styles (without removing strings) and has a quick retractable string damper. You can play the NS Stick as a tap instrument, a finger style bass or guitar instrument or even play it with a pick like a guitar. All in the same song if you wish! (The Megetar isn't as flexable, it's really just a taping instrument and it's nut is fixed)

I've actually been playing finger style with the Megatar (it takes some precision but it can be done). Again, the string-spacing makes it tough. I actually did more tapping last night in rehearsal and it seemed a lot easier--and gentler on my hands, interestingly enough. So far I still prefer being able to finger pluck walking lines, however. Sounds more "right" to my ears, but we're also doing some funkier stuff in the trio where the more aggressive fret sound from tapping sounds quite appropriate.

Quote:
The NS Stick has a smaller neck and is much easier to get your hands around to play.

Yeah, I really get lost on that huge neck. Just from fiddling around, crossing my right hand over "feels" better from a bass-player's standpoint, because it's easier in my mind to reference. So I really am only using about half the neck most of the time.

Quote:
The NS Stick's neck is graphite so is very solid. The Megetar's neck (at least the one i had) is wood ... and it was also solid however much wider and the instrument in general felt much bigger and heavier.

That's good to hear--the Megatar really is a massive instrument. If I kept on using it I think I'd need a peg or stand or lap cradle or something for it. I'm sitting, standing, leaning back, doing everything I can during rehearsal to not get fatigued.

Quote:
Personally I felt the NS Stick was a much more playable and flexable instrument. I used my NS Stick as a 2 hand tapping "bass/guitar" for over a year professionally as a cover band bass player (plus) gigging every weekend. I only sold it because I semi-retired from gigging now and since I'm primarily writing and recording original music now, own a 12 string Grand Stick, several basses and guitars and at the time needed money to purchase my recording system and computer it made sense to sell it. Honestly I miss owning the NS Stick and although I sold mine I would highly recommend buying one. I would NOT recommend a Megetar because for ME the instrument was simply not user friendly, largely because of neck width and design. This is my personal opinion and is not meant as a slam, just my honest opinion.

Thanks for what really seems a balanced and fair assessment. I'm hoping I can regain my strength without re-injuring myself, and it seems like the NS/Stick could really make it easier for me to do that.

Darn, you guys are talking me into it. :x

Anybody want to buy a tuba? ;)

Last edited by zaubertuba on Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:55 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

greg wrote:
88persuader wrote:
This is probably the coolest thing about the NS compared to other instruments. You actually can easily play it like a regular bass or guitar, with open strings.

Interestingly, that's been one of the higher-learning-curve issues with the "damped first fret" tapping instrument. I will say it been good for me from a musicianship/re-learning standpoint, as that it's forced me to not to rely on open strings so much, so I've really had to get deeper into the neck. Didn't realize first position was such a crutch for me. :oops:

However, playing "Night in Tunisia" last night, I kept thinking, "darn, I don't remember having to shift so much on this line." Then it dawned on me I don't have the open D string to rely on for the second part of the line. :idea:

Quote:
Hi zaubertuba,

I think you probably got the wrong impression from Konrad's post. The Stick is incredibly easy to tap on, if the truss is adjusted properly, even with heavy gauge strings. I had a skype lesson recently where I asked my student to play certain exercises even though I suspected his truss might be adjusted incorrectly. After seeing how hard it was, I asked him to adjust the truss, and...everything was suddenly much easier.

I can't stress it enough folks. If your action feels even the slightest bit high, adjust your truss. On the Stick it's very easy to do.

Thanks for clearing that up. :)

Very cool, btw, that you do lessons online like that. ;)

Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:09 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Probably the wrong forum, but what kind of tuba? I have a student looking.

MM

Wed Mar 17, 2010 3:08 pm
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

euphtub wrote:
Probably the wrong forum, but what kind of tuba? I have a student looking.

MM

YGPM ;)

Sat Mar 20, 2010 11:32 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery