It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 5:40 am

Suggestions for improvments or options 
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Post Suggestions for improvments or options
On a section for the traditional Stick a thread was started asking what you would change on the Stick of you could. Even though we all love our Sticks people had some ideas for improvments or options they would like to see. I actually had no suggestions for the traditional Stick however I had a few ideas for the NS Stick so I thought I'd start the same question in this part of the forum. If you could suggest an improvment, change or option for the NS Stick what would it be? Here are a few of my ideas ...

I'd love to see Linear fret markers offered for the NS Stick as an option and I think having a rod or rail fret option for the NS would be nice too. Also a strap lock system. Of course attaching strap locks to the body is no big deal however the top arm doesn't seem to be made for one. One other idea would be a different higher tuning option to bring the NS Stick into the high E string guitar pitch for guitarist who want to tap and don't care about the lower bass notes. (Like an alto NS Stick!) ;)

So those are my ideas for possible options for the NS Stick. I haven't received my NS Stick yet however I'm SURE I'll LOVE it just the way it is. But if some of the ideas above were options I would have been interested in a few. Like linear markers, fret rods and a strap lock system. Being a bass player the "Alto NS Stick" doesn't interest me but I'm sure it could interest others.

So what are your suggestions?

http://www.rayrlmusic.com
http://www.myspace.com/raylavigne

Tue Feb 26, 2008 10:42 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery

Post Re: Suggestions for improvments or options
whew, I dunno. Honestly, if I were to have one built, I would want even spacing between the strings and not quite as fanned out as much at the bridge. Maybe I would just want the Stick bass with the same electronics and an adjustable damper.

That or I'm an ungrateful bastard.

Tue Feb 26, 2008 11:06 pm
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Bill Lee wrote:
whew, I dunno. Honestly, if I were to have one built, I would want even spacing between the strings and not quite as fanned out as much at the bridge. Maybe I would just want the Stick bass with the same electronics and an adjustable damper.

That or I'm an ungrateful bastard.

Ah ... an adjustable damper may be a good suggestion for this question in regard to the traditional Stick thread! I would think to be able to use ALL the techniques like on an NS the traditional Stick bass would not only need an adjustable damper it would also need to be able to be worn more horizontal for pluck and strum playing. Have you thought about getting a Stick bass Bill?

Tue Feb 26, 2008 11:13 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery

I thought about it, but to be honest, I'd go for more strings. 10, 12, different tuning, etc.

About the more horizontal playing, I don't. I keep it 3/4 or higher and it works well. Most of the time I don't need to change position, but sliding the strap up is easy enough to do without losing a beat.

Wed Feb 27, 2008 8:43 am
Contributor
Contributor

Bill, I'm having a great time w/ my 12-string DBR. (Interesting tuning note: the highest bass string is a 4th higher thanthe highest melody string) I've also got a couple of extra strings coming for experimenting w/ HB4, Hm3, and HDB4. Sorry, Ray, this thread's been hijacked back to Stick. :oops:

Marty

Wed Feb 27, 2008 9:13 am

MarTroiD, if schedules work out, I'll be trying out a 12 string grand in a little over a week. It's not often that a stick player other than myself shows up in the "Arklahoma" area. Man, I want to cut off my fingers just for typing that crappy word.

Wed Feb 27, 2008 7:19 pm
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

MarTroiD wrote:
Bill, I'm having a great time w/ my 12-string DBR. (Interesting tuning note: the highest bass string is a 4th higher thanthe highest melody string) I've also got a couple of extra strings coming for experimenting w/ HB4, Hm3, and HDB4. Sorry, Ray, this thread's been hijacked back to Stick. :oops:

Marty

A thread that doesn't take on a life of it's own is a dead thread! ;) No problem with the Hijack! :)

Thu Feb 28, 2008 1:26 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Hi Everyone. I currently have a bad case of gear lust over the NS (I just want one...) and found this thread. For me one of the most appealing things about the NS is the (standard) bass role, with the ability to augment that role through tapping etc. I currently own a 10String Graphite.

If anything the bass strings could have even a couple of millimetres extra spacing, though I know this is unrealistic given the way it's set up at Stick Enterprises. I just feel that in the bass role the need to play in a muscular way is paramount (somewhat like Larry Graham! 1 2 3 4 !!!)

Perhaps with time I could jump that technical hurdle, but to be honset, I don't think I would want to have to.

Linear Markers would be wonderful of course & I think I would definitely go for Frett Rods if they were offered. - The bass end response on Don's half fretless is senatioanal don't U think?!

I also feel that Paduak might be a good wood for the NS, I am presuming that there would be more influence on the its sound from the materials used in NS as compared to the other Stick models.

Well Senior Power Brother Emmett, dose'nt look like we're going to let u off the hook too easily on some of these ideas.

Love & Regards Always.

Radkon the Tasmaniac

Sun Mar 23, 2008 8:21 pm
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Radkon wrote:
Hi Everyone. I currently have a bad case of gear lust over the NS (I just want one...) and found this thread. For me one of the most appealing things about the NS is the (standard) bass role, with the ability to augment that role through tapping etc. I currently own a 10String Graphite.

If anything the bass strings could have even a couple of millimetres extra spacing, though I know this is unrealistic given the way it's set up at Stick Enterprises. I just feel that in the bass role the need to play in a muscular way is paramount (somewhat like Larry Graham! 1 2 3 4 !!!)

Perhaps with time I could jump that technical hurdle, but to be honset, I don't think I would want to have to.

Linear Markers would be wonderful of course & I think I would definitely go for Frett Rods if they were offered. - The bass end response on Don's half fretless is senatioanal don't U think?!

I also feel that Paduak might be a good wood for the NS, I am presuming that there would be more influence on the its sound from the materials used in NS as compared to the other Stick models.

Well Senior Power Brother Emmett, dose'nt look like we're going to let u off the hook too easily on some of these ideas.

Love & Regards Always.

Radkon the Tasmaniac

Well Radkon I can tell you the NS Stick IS the perfect tap instrument for a bass player playing that role. The Stick as you know is a Stick ... IT'S NOT a bass or guitar. I have both and am Glad I do. I use the NS in my band and use the Stick .... for ME!! I'd recommend an NS to any and all bass players!

Sun Mar 23, 2008 8:59 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Right on! I think I'm just going to have to go ahead and get one at some stage.

After mulling it over some more I figured I should get a lot more competent at tapping on the Stick & then apply that knowledge to the NS once I'm there. The Bass stuff will take care of itself a little more easily, otherwise I'm just a guy that loves bass without being able to take care of the scope of said NS.

Thanks for Your ideas & happy tapping.

Radkon

Mon Mar 24, 2008 2:55 am