It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:41 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Suggestions for improvments or options 
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Post Re: Suggestions for improvments or options
I think one nice option would be different pickup and electronic configurations. Somehow incorporate what they did with the Block so you can buy and easily switch pickups.

And I still like my eariler suggestion about adding linear markers as an option ... I think those are cool! Wish I had them on my Graphite Grand too! Luckily I tend to rely less and less on looking at my fingers. Maybe someday 100 years from now I'll be able to play with my eyes closed like Greg? 8-)

http://www.rayrlmusic.com
http://www.myspace.com/raylavigne

Thu Sep 04, 2008 12:56 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

88persuader wrote:
And I still like my eariler suggestion about adding linear markers as an option ... I think those are cool! Wish I had them on my Graphite Grand too! Luckily I tend to rely less and less on looking at my fingers. Maybe someday 100 years from now I'll be able to play with my eyes closed like Greg? 8-)

Hi Ray,

I like to play with my eyes closed, but I also really like to be able to know where I am when I need to know. I suppose we could have "tactile" inlays of some kind, but the problem there is that you need to know where the fret is before you play the note.

I think linear inlays are definitely the most functional, but they're perhaps not the most aesthetically pleasing to look at. What's more important? Playing the right notes or looking pretty? (Since I'll never look pretty I'll go for the former...)

Go linear!

Thu Sep 04, 2008 4:45 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Quote:
I suppose we could have "tactile" inlays of some kind, but the problem there is that you need to know where the fret is before you play the note.

Hello Greg,

I consider the rails as tactile inlays. I can feel sliding over 2 or 3 rails when I move my hand from one chord shape to another without lifting the fingers from the strings. Very "handy" of course...

Greetings from rai(l)ny Neuchâtel

O.

Thu Sep 04, 2008 6:37 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Master Contributor
Master Contributor

I agree with Greg that linear markers are the most functional but are lacking in the looks department. I always liked the dots better, but my hands were always covering them up. By way of a compromise, I made my own elliptical (cat's eye) inlays. They stretch out further and can be seen much better than dots and have more character than straight lines, to my eyes at least. They are also centered in the fret space, as opposed to being right next to the leading fret. I just got some vinyl art paper from a craft store and cut the shape I liked. Cheap and does no harm to the instrument in case you change your mind. I've seen other Sticks with homemade inlays, such as one with trapezoid inlays (can't remember who), and they looked pretty cool.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

http://www.heartstringslive.com
http://www.youtube.com/tapper1472

"With one note you can shatter a thousand notes" - Carlos Santana

Thu Sep 04, 2008 6:54 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

I actually find linear markers more appealing now than dots. It kind of goes with the whole unique vibe of the instrument, and in an abstract way brings to mind the white/black key arrangement of a piano.

The coolest thing though would be some sort of intricate "vine" or celtic pattern that not only shows the standard inlay positions but hints at other visual cues, maybe C notes or some other recurring pattern on the fretboard.

Rosewood Grand Stick #7025 - Mirrored 4ths 5+7
Paduak Grand Stick #5197 - Mirrored 4ths 6+6

Thu Sep 04, 2008 7:33 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

I really like the liner markers, too. I am getting the reconstituted turquoise and the mockups I've seen look really good to me. I'll have lots of detailed closeup photos soon after I get it sometime before Christmas. The linears almost look like part of a design theme rather than functional fret indicators. When I first started looking at modern Sticks a year and a half ago I immediately noticed the linears and thought they looked different and really interesting. I have an older Stick with dots and I have put some thin red tape on my black poly to see what I would think of them. I really like the visibility and I'm keeping the tape on that Stick and I'm looking forward to my new Stick.

-Eric

Rosewood SG12 #5966, Mirrored 4ths
Twitter: @ejknapp
http://ericjknapp.com

Thu Sep 04, 2008 9:18 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

heartstrings wrote:
I made my own elliptical (cat's eye) inlays. They stretch out further and can be seen much better than dots and have more character than straight lines, to my eyes at least.

I noticed these on the videos and wondered about them. Did you just order your Stick without any markers or does the vinyl cover up dots?

-Eric

Rosewood SG12 #5966, Mirrored 4ths
Twitter: @ejknapp
http://ericjknapp.com

Thu Sep 04, 2008 9:20 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Contributor
Contributor

I have a Tobias 5 string Bass with no inlays on the fret board but rather small dots on the side of neck facing player. Looks cool & (few) people tend to think how does he know what fret he's on. Mine is just like this except black:

http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p312 ... er5002.jpg

Also have a Godin LGX-SA, triple voice guitar:
http://www.godinguitars.com/godinlgxsap.htm
...and inlays are small on fret board but on the players side of neck.

I think either inlays on side of neck to the players side may work.
Quote:
jerrydoughnut wrote:
How bout a whammy bar?

Actually, a Tremolo Bar type device would be interesting. Maybe for
the Melody Strings... Of course you would have to reach to the Bridge
to activate it. Hey I know, How about a String Bender like on the
B Bender Telecaster that you could activate with a waist Strap?

I like the B-Bender idea. I think it's Joe Walsh from the Eagles even had a double bender installed into a Tele, G and B Bender.

BUT I think stealing ideas from a pedal steel would be more appropriate... difficult to invent/install and operate. The cable pulling system would have to come off the stick to a couple of pedals, that maybe rock both ways for up and down bending. If a player was sitting this could be really cool to grab 4 strings. I have no idea how pedal steel type knee knockers could be rigged to then give individual bending control over more strings.

Marc

MarcDobson.com
MarcRocs facebook

Thu Sep 04, 2008 3:30 pm
Contributor
Contributor

Side markers are a great idea.....all my basses and guitars have`m..They work nicely......even on the fretless.... SE should definetly look into installing them on their instruments.......
As for the linear inlays....I prefer the dots......I might like the linear better if they were centered instead of being so close to the frets......
My favorite is the old block style inlays like on lespaul customs.....

Thu Sep 04, 2008 3:55 pm
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

greg wrote:
88persuader wrote:

Hi Ray,

I like to play with my eyes closed, but I also really like to be able to know where I am when I need to know. I suppose we could have "tactile" inlays of some kind, but the problem there is that you need to know where the fret is before you play the note.

I think linear inlays are definitely the most functional, but they're perhaps not the most aesthetically pleasing to look at. What's more important? Playing the right notes or looking pretty? (Since I'll never look pretty I'll go for the former...)

Go linear!

Greg ... looking pretty is way over rated ... and playing good music well is really UNDER rated! ;) .......... And sadly ... if you look at the entertainment industry and some of the "artists" that are out there that's no joke! :o

http://www.rayrlmusic.com
http://www.myspace.com/raylavigne

Fri Sep 05, 2008 12:07 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next