It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 8:14 am

Can you slap NS? 
Post Can you slap NS?
I'm considering an NS. Can you slap it like a bass? You know…just in case it gets out of line? ;-)

thanks,

MM

Mon Mar 15, 2010 1:27 pm
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Post Re: Can you slap NS?
You CAN but personally I had to change my technique to do it. I guess it depends on how close you set it up to the action you're use to on your basses. But it's a fretted string instrument that can be played like a bass so I guess the quick answer is yes.

http://www.rayrlmusic.com
http://www.myspace.com/raylavigne

Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:19 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
I finally found some other posts with a similar reply. I'm no Vic Wooten, but I play in pit orchestras for musicals quite a bit and need to be able to use that psuedo-funk broadway illusion that I know what I'm doing.

I have been known to have to cover an Earth, Wind, and Fire or Pastorius tune for high school jazz bands as well.

Basically I need a way to clean out my closet by finding an instrument that can cover electric bass parts for jazz bands, pit orchestras, church praise bands, etc. As well as be used as a
tapping instrument for solo work. I've played stick for about 8 years now.

Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:44 pm
Contributor
Contributor

As 88 says:

88persuader wrote:
You CAN but personally I had to change my technique to do it. I guess it depends on how close you set it up to the action you're use to on your basses. But it's a fretted string instrument that can be played like a bass so I guess the quick answer is yes.

Notice I bolded the pertinent part where he says he had to change his technique to do it. That's there is what we call the rub.

The NS, while being a superior bass, doesn't respond a lot like a conventional electric bass. You do have to change your technique.

As a bass player for 20 some odd years I like to manhandle my strings (as one person pointed out the sound I get out of one primarily comes from my hands) - the NS requires a lighter touch.

A much lighter touch.

As Greg has pointed out elsewhere on this board, that's not necessarily a bad thing and I agree. Keep that in mind when you pick up this instrument.

SB8 Stick Bass #5509, Standard 4th Tuning, Rosewood w/Linear Inlaid Frets

Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:19 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

If I can piggyback on the question, anybody slap on their Half-fretless NS? I wouldn't it to expect to sound quite the same, but it seems Don Schiff gets some pretty funky sounds out of the half-fretless, just tapping it.

Considering a fretless NS myself, as the greater part of what I play may lend itself to a fretless instrument--but we do have some "funkier" stuff in our book.

I figure if Ray Brown did it on an upright, why not? ;)

http://www.facebook.com/qualitytimejazz

Mon Mar 22, 2010 4:39 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Contributor
Contributor

I think you can slap the NS without too many issues.

I didn't need to change my physical technique at all, but my main axe is a six string bass so maybe i'm used to it.

Again, the output will be higher cause and so adjusting the volume or adding compression is needed. I think it sounds pretty good and no one will notice in the context of a musical that it's not a regular bass.

I think you can't really lay in to the G and C strings though as they are a lighter guage than on bass, i assume to transition the timbre towards guitar as you cross the next. If this was a big deal then i'm sure you can get some custom heavier strings on the melody side for this purpose.

Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:27 pm
As always, the wealth of information freely given on this forum astounds me. I rarely run into musicians willing to share their stlyistic musings.

Thank you.

Anybody playing a fretless and fretted that can compare the two?

MM

Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:06 am
Site Donor
Site Donor

I play half-fretless and fretted Grand Stick. I can sound different ideas on each. Very broad spectrum of sonic and technique differences. Held arpeggios are not easy on fretless, and "Claw" techniques are better with the fretted. But the sound of the fretless is outrageous. Ya' need both

SA

Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:53 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Contributor
Contributor

I have not had any problems slapping my NS/Stick...but to be fair, I played a Pedulla Thunderbass with really, really close string spacing for many years so that may have something to do with it.

Also, slapping is a style that I use the least...if you have been beating the crap out of a Ken Smith or something than you might have to alter your approach slightly.

All in all though, with a bit a work you should be able to adapt yourself to a NS with no problem and I reccomend it very much.

Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:22 pm

I've been doing a bit of slapping only on my NS. I love the growl it gives off. I've had to lighten up the thumb attack considerably but with just a bit of string buzz on the fret it's pretty dark sounding. I can't pop the octave strings due to the strings being too close and my technique isn't that good. But the thumb sure has some life in it and I love the growl.

Mon Oct 04, 2010 7:45 pm