It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 7:39 am

NUSD (New Used Stick Day)! 
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

Post NUSD (New Used Stick Day)!
Got my NS from Glenn today! He did an awesome packing job. The first thing I noticed is how small the case was when I pulled it out of the packing box. Anyway, here's some comments adopted from the note I sent to Glenn after I pulled myself away for a bit:

I just got done setting it up. Glenn was nice enough to change out the strings to the standard 4ths tuning before he sent it. I tuned it up, adjusted the truss rod and dropped the action. You can get the action *insanely* low on this thing!

It blew me away when I first pulled out the case--so small! I really like how light and balanced the instrument feels, and the neck is far more accessible (Low B on the near edge of the neck--Yay I can find it again!), and sized very well for my hands. I can tap either crossed or uncrossed on this thing, and my right hand actually has some space to maneuver when I'm plucking.

Oh yeah--and I can slap, too. :) :) :)

Don't have my cabinet done yet, so I've only been able to listen it on headphones through the Pod x3 I just got. My wife noticed the tone, though, when I was just plucking it while I was setting it up unamped! Lovely sustain, and with the action set low it's truly effortless to play. I really like the mono switch--will come in handy on the more "bass-only" pieces or sections of pieces (nice to be able to change "on-the-fly") and I want to work across the higher strings more.

I think I still have some minor setup left, finding the best balance between plucking/tapping action, but it's real close.

I like how the strap bar rests against your chest--the neck is solid in the upright playing position and you don't need to stabilize it with your hands.

I found out it's very easy to sit with the instrument in the upright position as well; The knee rest cradles against one leg and the body cutout cradles against the other--really solid and comfortable!

Must...put...NS...away...........need...sleep! ;)"

Anyway, I'm going to have a hard time not overdoing it with this instrument...it's so fun to pick up and play!

One question, the finish is gorgeous, but it does look like it's got a hint of oxidation. Any recommendations for a natural wax/polish that would be safe to use?

http://www.facebook.com/qualitytimejazz

Thu Jun 10, 2010 9:47 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

Post Re: NUSD (New Used Stick Day)!
Congrats and enjoy your NS!!!!! Reading your post makes me wish I could pay mine off even faster. OH the anticipation is killing me. But it's like all the finer things in life,well worth the wait. Don't let lack of sleep get in the way. Remember, coffee is your friend.

Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:24 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

As said on many gear maniacs forums : THIS TOPIC IS WORTHLESS WITHOUT PICS!!! :mrgreen:

Thu Jun 10, 2010 2:29 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery

That best stuff that I have found for wood cleaning/conditioning, is a product called Howards Feed N Wax. You can order it online. It is a combination of orange oil and beeswax. It is used for restoring antique wood. Awesome stuff. I use it on my mint condition 79 Carl Thompson bass. Do it a few times a year. And it will keep your instrument in pristine condition. When you get it. Apply a good coat on your stick, fretboard and all. Let it sit for about twenty minutes, then rub in good, and you will be amazed at the results.

Sun Jun 13, 2010 6:39 am

Hi Bryce, glad your enjoying the stick. Keep me posted on your progress. I think back around February I treated the wood to a little lemon oil. It looked great for a couple weeks then it started to look a little dull. Sorry I probably should have hit it again when I changed the strings. Maybe walnut likes to drink up lemon oil! Happy sticking!!

Sun Jun 13, 2010 11:42 am
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

Thanks for the tips, guys. And Glenn - don't worry about it--it really does look great--just a little dry, like you say. You guys really took care of the instrument!

I found great jazz guitar website I'll post on the technique forums later. :D

I also found a post in the FAQ from Yuta herself on "touching up" occasionally with Watco Danish Oil:

http://www.stickist.com/faq/doku.php?id=cleaning

I might give it a try sometime. Maybe I'll post some "before" and "after" pics. :)

Sun Jun 13, 2010 12:46 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

zaubertuba wrote:
...I also found a post in the FAQ from Yuta herself on "touching up" occasionally with Watco Danish Oil...

Hi,

a few tips about the use of Danish Oil:

- Apply veeeeeeeeeeeeery little of it with a clean cotton cloth.

- don't let it sit in / dry to long!

- polish it with a clean cotton cloth and / or a polishing disk on a drill

- if it feels sticky, buff it more

- if it still feels sticky, remove a little of it with steel wool

- if it feels to dry, try a little more

- if it feels just right: Congratulations

I would only use it once a year for Neck & Fingerboard. Actually after trying Danish Oil I prefere a Wax-Solution like Warwick-Wax, Dr. Ducks Ax Wax....This stuff is much easier to handle, which I had to learn the hard way.

Cheers

"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler" AlbertEinstein

10 String Rosewood (Stickup)
12 String Rosewood (PASV-4)
Classic Tuning (Medium Gauge)
2 Avalon U5
2 DBX 160A
Lexicon MPX1

Mon Jun 14, 2010 4:52 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

grozoeil wrote:
As said on many gear maniacs forums : THIS TOPIC IS WORTHLESS WITHOUT PICS!!! :mrgreen:

How about these (and these are the "post Watco touch-up" pics):

:D

I'm having an absolute blast with this instrument. I'm already playing around with simple 3rd/7th guitar comping over walking bass blues progressions. Certainly nothing the likes of Greg (and that post of your quartet was waayyy inspirational, Greg), but a total kick in the pants, nonetheless! :D :D :D

Our drummer turned me on to Stanley Clarke's funky rendition of "So What," so I've been playing with all sorts of different ways of playing the head (traditional plucked, tapping left hand, right hand, doubled at the octave using both hands :shock: ...the possibilities are really just amazing!!!

Sat Jun 19, 2010 10:52 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

Moved from another thread:

88persuader wrote:
That sure does look like my old friend!!! I miss her! :-( But I'm glad she's found a good home and looks like she did on day 1!

LOL - I was planning on giving my hands a break last night and just work on programming some tones on my x3. I couldn't help but working up more tunes for our trio. Ended up playing around on the instrument until 1:30 a.m. :shock:

I mean, I'm a night-owl, but usually I try not to be practicing that late! :lol:

Tue Jun 22, 2010 10:32 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

That NS IS BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEUUUUUUUUUUUUTTTTTTTTTIIIIIIIIIFFFFFFFUUUUUUUULLLLLLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm still in the process of paying off my natural walnut NS. So every 3 or 4 months rub in some Watco Danish oil to keep the natural walnut from drying out??? Seeing those pictures is makeing me want to put the rest of what I owe on the creditcard. ........But that would be a trap.............unless I apply for a new creditcard that has o% intrest for the 1st 12 months. Further investigation is required. Enjoy your time with your new NS!!!!!!!! How do you have it tuned?

Tue Jun 22, 2010 4:53 pm