It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:17 am

pondering what to do with my NS stick in Australia 
Contributor
Contributor

Post pondering what to do with my NS stick in Australia
this isn't so much a for sale as a musing over what to do.

I have a grand stick that i play every day, and my NS stick sits in the corner, therefore i'm having thoughts about selling it but am unsure. What's holding me back is that they're so rare here in Australia, and i tend to hoard gear.

But trying to be pragmatic if i've had something for almost a year and don't play it much, is it wrong to hold on to it, when it could be making someone else happy?

I have found myself never tapping the NS cause i much prefer the grand stick for that purpose so whenever i use the NS it's like an 8 string bass. Although played like this the tone is great, i don't find much practical use for the top 4 strings. I tend to use my six string bass when i'm in that role.

I love the design of the NS, cause i love steinbergers (as well as sticks) and still play steinberger guitars alot, but i'm just not finding a role for the NS

Any thoughts?

Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:08 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Re: pondering what to do with my NS stick in Australia
Keep the NS/Stick and sell the six-string Bass ;-)

But seriously: If you don't play it but can't make up your mind, why don't you lend it to someone else? Someone who will handle it well and cannot afford an instrument like that at the moment?

https://sproingg.bandcamp.com/
http://soundcloud.com/jenko-nashorn

Mon Jul 19, 2010 11:34 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

nashorn wrote:
Keep the NS/Stick and sell the six-string Bass ;-)

But seriously: If you don't play it but can't make up your mind, why don't you lend it to someone else? Someone who will handle it well and cannot afford an instrument like that at the moment?

Now, that's a good thought...but than again...lending instruments is always a bit tricky. You never know, what you get back.... :?

Well, if I were you, I would rather put the 6-String and guitar in the corner to collect dust for a while and concentrat on both, the NS-Stick and the Grand. The NS-Stick in a more convential Guitar/Bass role and the Grand as a "superduppertappingthing". Give 1/4er to the NS the rest of your time to the Grand. There are millions of guitar and/or bass players out there. How many NS-/Grand Stick players? Not that much, right?

To give away equipment that works for you is never a real good idea. Someday you will regret it...I had to learn this the hard way.

Keep the best sell / give away the rest.

All the best

"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler" AlbertEinstein

10 String Rosewood (Stickup)
12 String Rosewood (PASV-4)
Classic Tuning (Medium Gauge)
2 Avalon U5
2 DBX 160A
Lexicon MPX1

Tue Jul 20, 2010 3:41 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Hey, I had no problem knowing what to do with my Stick in Australia :mrgreen: Didn't bring my NS with me as that was too much to carry over the pond. Funny thing recently happened to me, I just made a MTB video and put my own music in the background, and found my NS ended up playing a bigger role than I anticipated.

I recently switched effects, ditching the VG-99 down to a TC Nova Systems, which has some fantastic features that really do wonders with the NS. What you describe is why I sold my fretless bass, wasn't playing it very much compared to the guitar, NS before I acquired the Grand. Try playing it through a wah pedal with effects, you might get some new ideas for the upper register.

Compare recording your six string bass and your NS in your computer. Which is easier to dial in? I'm thinking the NS is, I find that to be true against my 4 string bass.

What tuning are you using? For me, I had to immediately retune in the beginning to BEADGBEA as straight fourths sounded way too tense in the high end for me. I've also been experimenting with two capos, one on each side of the neck. Try that out, you might find fingerpicking the upper register to be useful having a capo; I often put one on around the 10-12 frets on the highest strings.

Based on your fondness for Steinbergers, in my opinion you will regret getting rid of it later on if you do. Especially when the day comes Evan creates some real killer line on his. There are not too many established players on this instrument, the opportunities are wide open waiting to be had. Hope this helps.

Graphite Grand Stick MR
NS Stick Wenge body Wenge neck
Bamboo Grand Stickup

Tue Jul 20, 2010 5:17 pm
Contributor
Contributor

My immediate reaction was an insane belch of G.A.S. AN NS IN SYDNEY!!!
however the other guys are right.
Perhaps keeping it is the best idea, i mean sure it'd be great for people wanting to try one out in Sydney, but you don't want to let it go.

or....give it to me.

Wed Jul 21, 2010 5:09 am
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the replies so far,..

I'll probably hang on to it a little longer because it's such a good bass. But i'm still not sure what i'm wanting to achieve with it.

I think i just like the (EC) stick so much, it really is optimised for tapping - i love the rails and the narrow string spacing - so that when i play the NS, i prefer not to tap it and just tend to play it like an 8 string bass.

of course if any sydney stickists want to have a try of it they are welcome to come over and give it a go.

I'm really leaning toward (an pretty much have already) gone all stick - and sidelining the NS, basses and guitar. I still find myself picking up the guitar to fill rhythm gtr (eg strummed) sections and for some lead. I would love to be able to play stick well enough to fully fill the guitar role - eg like michael bernier does sometimes. But i digress....

Fri Jul 23, 2010 5:36 am
Contributor
Contributor

If you were going to sell it, What sort of price would you be looking for?
Just a bit of curiosity really.

On a side note, I should be moving to Sydney early next year, so we should look at having another sydney stick get together Then.
Cheers Heath

Sat Oct 16, 2010 2:44 am