It is currently Sat May 11, 2024 1:19 pm

Tones depending on wood? longish post 

Post Tones depending on wood? longish post
greetings!
I am this close to putting in my order for a new NS/Stick but I'd appreciate some advice/feedback/thoughts on the different types of woods used in the NS/Stick and tonal qualities inherant (sp).

I've been re reading about differnet densities and weights of woods being a huge factor on tone, so who uses what NS/Stick and are you happy with your straight up dry tone?

I've been watching the excellent Don Schiff on youtube with his blogovision, and despite his wonderful playing, I have not been happy with his tone in the bottom end...it sounds all wooden and "wooly" for lack of a better word and not very punchy at all. Is that his effects or is that the NS/Stick? Is it the down conversion youtube uses?

Personally, I would love my NS/Stick to be full of life and bright sounding, from top to bottom of the range. As a bass player, I'm torn between so many players...I love the tight top end that Michael Manring gets, and the huge syrupy bottom end with clarity that Jimmy "Flim" Johnson has. The tone that Chris Squire had on "Big Generator" actually got me into the 5 and then later 6 string bass. And yet I am not fond of Steve Bailey's fretless tone on his Aria 6 string.

Sorry for the long post, but i would appreciate any and all input on this big topic.

Thanks very much.
Ian Hunter
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

Sat Jul 24, 2010 7:39 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Re: Tones depending on wood? longish post
I have a maple body, graphite neck NS.

Straight up, flat EQ-It sounds great.

I have other basses too. It has the best sounding B string of any of the 34" scale basses I have.

I think the design is really what gives it the great tone. The unique nut/bridge, and using guitar (EMG Front Tele) pickups, and EMG electronics.

I don't think you will be disappointed, whatever wood you get.

Lee

Sat Jul 24, 2010 10:22 am

There is a guy named Joseph DiMasi on the classified forum that has an amazing ns forsale. It is 1900 plus shipping, and it comes with all the bells and whistles, Two stands, anvil flight case, cable, set of strings, strap, tools for adjustment, and a soft case as well. Well over 2500 for all of this stuff new. The stick is in great condition. If you are interested in buying one. I would talk to him. Great guy to deal with and a great value for an awesome ns.
Thanks
Jonny

Sat Jul 24, 2010 11:23 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Ian Hunter wrote:
greetings!
I am this close to putting in my order for a new NS/Stick but I'd appreciate some advice/feedback/thoughts on the different types of woods used in the NS/Stick and tonal qualities inherant (sp).

I've been re reading about differnet densities and weights of woods being a huge factor on tone, so who uses what NS/Stick and are you happy with your straight up dry tone?

I've been watching the excellent Don Schiff on youtube with his blogovision, and despite his wonderful playing, I have not been happy with his tone in the bottom end...it sounds all wooden and "wooly" for lack of a better word and not very punchy at all. Is that his effects or is that the NS/Stick? Is it the down conversion youtube uses?

Personally, I would love my NS/Stick to be full of life and bright sounding, from top to bottom of the range. As a bass player, I'm torn between so many players...I love the tight top end that Michael Manring gets, and the huge syrupy bottom end with clarity that Jimmy "Flim" Johnson has. The tone that Chris Squire had on "Big Generator" actually got me into the 5 and then later 6 string bass. And yet I am not fond of Steve Bailey's fretless tone on his Aria 6 string.

Sorry for the long post, but i would appreciate any and all input on this big topic.

Thanks very much.
Ian Hunter
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

I believe I have all of Don's CD's, which sound better than Youtube. Also check out Gary Jibilian's work, I have some videos of him posted as well on Youtube. Since mine is all wood similar to a Warwick bass, I can't help you too much with the new ones with the graphite neck, but I have played one and the bass end is much better. Not sure which videos you are talking about, but you may have seen an early one where he plays one like mine with a wooden neck, which may explain the "woody" tone you are talking about.

EDIT DAY AFTER: After I made this post, I logged into my other e-mail account that has the Stickwire posts, and found Don's "Bloggovision" posts. No HD option popped up and I had to plug in my good pair of headphones to get any bass out of a couple of those. I've recently found that if you want best results out of Youtube, go with a huge file that takes over 1Gig, for me that can take 4+ hours to load using DSL. I would not judge the tone by those vids, he has some others that sound much better. For low res vids, I find Vimeo much better.

Graphite Grand Stick MR
NS Stick Wenge body Wenge neck
Bamboo Grand Stickup

Sat Jul 24, 2010 8:31 pm

I actually sent Don an email about his tone and such and received a wonderful reply where he says on the youtube blogo vision stuff his sound is either MIDI'ed up or effected with the Line 6 POD x3 but in the same breath he says..

"The NS produces the most beautiful clean full range bass tone I have ever recorded. When I want clean I just go straight into the board. Loud 'n Proud and roaring clean."

Then he remarked..

"All the NS's I've played off the line are incredible sounding. I would select by 'look' in these instruments as Emmett will not let a bad sounding one leave the shop. As a matter of fact, I've never even heard a bad one. I've played a lot of them, all pristine sounding and even."

So that has been a help immensely! So it's the graphite neck as to the cleanliness of the sound but the wood in the body will be the factor on various definition characteristics and such. I'm leaning towards the ash body because my old Elrick bass had an ash body and was just beautiful sounding. Plus the grain on the picture given at SE is gorgeous.

Sun Jul 25, 2010 6:08 am
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

In the bass/guitar world dense wood like maple tend to be more bright and where the NS has a seperate body (not neck through) the body wood WILL play a role in sound. If you think you want bright picking maple may be a good choice. I sold my NS Stick over a year ago and I'm sorry but I forget the wood I had, however I thought it's bass tone with no effects was awesome. Mine also had the graphite neck which FELT wonderful. I sold it when I stopped playing professionally and needed cash for recording softwear and computer equipment however when I had it I gigged 2 or 3 weekend a month and use it exclusively for over a year as a bass guitar and two hand tapping instrument so that type of professional usage should tell you what i thought of it's bass tone.

I think it has a wonderful all around tone along it's full range and is a great instrument for anyone wanting to be able to play traditional bass patterns AND two hand tap.

Well that's my 2 cents ... good luck.

http://www.rayrlmusic.com
http://www.myspace.com/raylavigne

Sun Jul 25, 2010 10:24 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery