It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:54 am

Snap, crackle, and pop. Oh my. 

Post Snap, crackle, and pop. Oh my.
Yesterday, my NS/Stick started crackling in the left (high) channel. Right/low channel is fine, Swapping gear and cables around confirms that it’s coming from the stick. I even changed the stereo cable that was packaged with the instrument.

Mind you, in mono mode there is no noise, no pops or crackling. But that seems to go through the instrument’s right channel.

Any ideas what may be going on? Crossing my fingers for “battery,” but also bracing for bad news.

Sun May 09, 2021 7:12 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Re: Snap, crackle, and pop. Oh my.
Do you have a cell phone on attached to your belt? Sometimes those do funny things.

Graphite Grand Stick MR
NS Stick Wenge body Wenge neck
Bamboo Grand Stickup

Sun May 09, 2021 5:01 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

raganwald wrote:
Yesterday, my NS/Stick started crackling in the left (high) channel. Right/low channel is fine, Swapping gear and cables around confirms that it’s coming from the stick. I even changed the stereo cable that was packaged with the instrument.

Mind you, in mono mode there is no noise, no pops or crackling. But that seems to go through the instrument’s right channel.

Any ideas what may be going on? Crossing my fingers for “battery,” but also bracing for bad news.

I cleaned my Railboard jack and crackling went away; I received it in this condition as the third owner. I used Deoxit DN5, available from many places.

https://caig.com/deoxit-d-series/

Tue May 11, 2021 2:01 pm

Thank you both!

It turned out to be the batteries. The other channel started making the same noise a few days later, and that seemed to fit the idea of batteries wearing out, so I unscrewed the plate on the back and changed both batteries. Everything’s now fine.

Fri May 14, 2021 4:13 am