It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 8:26 am

NS/Stick at ProgPower XI Atlanta, Ga 
Contributor
Contributor

Post NS/Stick at ProgPower XI Atlanta, Ga
Wow...a NS/Stick forumn...how cool. I wish I would have found this a long time ago.

Anyway, I just got back from playing at the ProgPower Festival (number 11 this year) and used my new NS/Stick. It sounded awesome and was quite a conversation piece as no one knew what it was. I had a great time and am so happy that I chose to put down my five string and embrace this instrument instead. Even the label, though nervous at first, is now completely behind it...especialy after our performance.

Here is some shots from that gig for you guys:

And one of the whole band.

Considering how new I am to the NS/Stick (and stick period for that matter) I am very excited to have found this forumn and I'm looking forward to meeting a learning from all of you that have been doing this longer than me.

Michael "Dr. Froth" Millsap

Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:15 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post Re: NS/Stick at ProgPower XI Atlanta, Ga
Hi Michael,
Nice to see you here- which band do you play in?

Rosewood Grand Stick #7025 - Mirrored 4ths 5+7
Paduak Grand Stick #5197 - Mirrored 4ths 6+6

Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:32 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Contributor
Contributor

Hey Rob...I thought One Cloud was awesome...just had to tell you that. It is on my Zune.

I play for "Six Minute Century" on Nightmare Records. They have one album out already but I am not on it...the new record is being finished now and I am playing the NS on it completely (it got here just in time...whew).

If you come do any shows in the Houston area...let me know and I'm so there.

And thanks for the warm welcome.

Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:36 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

Thanks Michael! I'm sure I'll get to Texas sometime, would love to visit a few places and play a few gigs. I'll check out your band!

Rosewood Grand Stick #7025 - Mirrored 4ths 5+7
Paduak Grand Stick #5197 - Mirrored 4ths 6+6

Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:22 am
Profile My Photo Gallery

hi michael.

Just to let you know....
I'm from Brazil and was in Houston last july at the fates warning gig at scout bar when SMC also played (great show, by the way).
The fact is that for a long time I wanted a NS/Stick but never had a chance to even see one.
That night i finally saw how great that instrument can sound live. When i came back i was decided to get one.
Today i have mine and i now remember that night as being the `first stone of the avalanche`... :D

good luck with the new SMC record.

Sun Sep 19, 2010 11:43 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Contributor
Contributor

Hey Netohugo,

Wow...that is so cool that you saw our show with Fates Warning here in Houston. Brazil is a far shot from Houston...were you here on vacation?

Anyway, I had only had my NS/Stick for not even two months yet when we did that gig and it was my first public apperance on the instrument. Glad you enjoyed it even if it was a bit rough...lol.

I'm sure you will enjoy your instrument as much as I am enjoying mine. You should have come up and introduced yourself to me...I would have let you try out the NS/Stick for yourself right then.

Take care bro

Sun Sep 19, 2010 4:17 pm

Hey Michael,

Great going with the NS!

I play the NS in a prog band too but I have the half-fretless model. You'll find that the NS is a wonderful instrument that will allow you to go way beyond the bass role in a prog band.

On a side note, may I suggest you try out the Line 6 Pod X3 Pro. It's got a dual input with the option of setting up different cabs, amps and fx chains to each input and play them simultaneously. It's just perfect for the NS and stereo output Stick. It's a bit cumbersome but a great tool in my opinion. Do get in touch with me if you need more specifics.

Anyway, I'll check out your band. Keep me posted on the new record too cos I wanna hear that NS sing :-)

Best regards,

Cedric

Mon Sep 20, 2010 3:08 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Contributor
Contributor

You read my mind...I've been looking at the Pod X3 Pro for a minute now and will probably buy one soon. I'm glad to hear that it is working out for you...makes me more excited.

What prog-band do you play with? I'd love to hear what you are doing on your NS/Stick. Half-fretless is probably a bit to complicated for me...lol.

I will let all of you know when the new album is finished. We were a bit behind schedule and even if we turn in the masters at the end of October the label will hold back the release until early next year (not sure of the reason for that...but Nightmare does not like to release products during the nov-dec-jan timeperiod).

Do you have any vids on youtube of you using the X3 with your NS?

Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:10 am

I've still a lot of work to do with the Pod. It's very straight forward to operate but the amount of possibilities is mind boggling.

One of the things I do is set a bass sound on all eight strings AND a guitar sound JUST on the melody strings. Unfortunately I don't have any vids of my work but we can chat via skype or some other platform so I can give you more details. As I said, I'm no expert but I can share what little I know.

As for my band, it's called "Twenty-Six Other-Worlds". We're a Prog Metal band with one independently released album called "Manipulated". You can listen to a couple of songs on Reverberation and even download a radio edit.

Anyway, I'll be getting in touch via pm so we can talk further as I don't want to stray off topic.

Btw, if anyone is interested, I can make a thread about the Pod X3 Pro with a little info about how it functions with dual inputs etc and its use with stereo output instruments like the stick. Just let me know.

Tue Sep 21, 2010 11:38 am
Profile My Photo Gallery

hi michael.

that was my 6th time in Houston .... besides playing the bass, I'm also a Safety engineer and work with fire protection so, every july I go to College Station (A&M University) for some training .... next year I'll be there again.

here's a (resized to fit) pic from that show at scout bar ....

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Fri Sep 24, 2010 1:47 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery